Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Hung the bumper so it was safe and out of the way. Over the next 10 days we have to paint the 944 , do a head gasket on my son's civic so he can sell it. So my shop is packed. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2018, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 20 2018, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 20 2018, 07:40 AM) *

I'm leaning towards using that sound deadener in my interior (since I stripped the floor tar to check for rust...none found!, and took out he engine bay pad).

How did you like working with the product you used? Any tips for rollers to use etc?

I used the thicker version of that same Noico deadener and it is very easy to work with. You can cut it with scissors and it it is very pliable to form into all the crevices etc. You can buy a good metal roller on Amazon for about $10. Noico has their own that looks like a good design. I made the mistake of not buying one because I figured I could pick up one of those wooden wallpaper seam rollers locally. I learned that I'm old and those seam rollers are not cheap Chinese plastic. It worked but the roller edge is sharp so you have to be careful or it will cut through the foil on the deadener. They are also flimsy so I broke the first one toward the end of he install and had to buy another. Better to order a good roller when you order the deadener. beerchug.gif

I actually used the rubber/foam block sanding block for mine..

And @tdskip here are a few thoughts.

I feel that I am good with allot of different aspects of restoration of cars but by no means an expert in all areas

I can paint fairly well
Build engines as I did that in a former life
Fab and weld (my profession)

That said the car I fixed would have been scrapped by 99% of the folks on this board.. It is a frankenstein made from Mark, tygaboy,and my cars . My biggest suggestion is find a car as rust free as possible. If you find one with rust learn to weld 1st.. Now learning to weld is not a 5 minute job . it takes hours. My students take on average 90 hours of real weld time before they are ready to weld things correctly. Most body shops don't even weld correctly and the icar certs are an absolute joke so keep that in mind. Then start repair of the car. I feel very strongly that most of the cars people scrap should be saved. People like @mcmark are fully of capable of fixing these cars and we should be saving them.

Other then that take your time.. Lots of time

Keep in mind in my 3 years I also developed 12 914 specific parts so that did take time from the build..

Thanks Ben, helpful.

Keep going and please keep us posted!

bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Hung the bumper so it was safe and out of the way. Click to view attachment

All the better for sitting inside making vroom, vroom sounds. smilie_pokal.gif

Where did you buy those roller skates for the car? I think I want to get a set for when mine comes off the spit. Do they help with doing an alignment?
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 21 2018, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Hung the bumper so it was safe and out of the way. Click to view attachment

All the better for sitting inside making vroom, vroom sounds. smilie_pokal.gif

Where did you buy those roller skates for the car? I think I want to get a set for when mine comes off the spit. Do they help with doing an alignment?

@bbrock I made them and as far as alignment I suppose so.. When I get to that point I think it will help
GeorgeRud
The Harbor Freight ones also work pretty well for the light 914 and do go on sale.
raynekat
That Saturn red is looking very nice.
914forme
I have 2 sets of the harbor freight ones. Disassemble the wheels and grease them up. Move really well after that.

It seems I use them for everything but under a car. confused24.gif
mb911
Side tracked this weekend.. Had to finish painting my son's 944. Turned out pretty nice.. 1 spot had a little run but should be able to wet sand it out or I will spot it in.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
Nice!
Is that creme or white?
beerchug.gif
JC 914-73
Wow, just finished reading thru the thread, what a treat! Thank you for sharing the experience, hats off to the quality and amount of work, learned a lot just reading thru the posts. Looking forward to seeing the finished car. Awesome pray.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 24 2018, 04:53 PM) *

Side tracked this weekend.. Had to finish painting my son's 944. Turned out pretty nice.. 1 spot had a little run but should be able to wet sand it out or I will spot it in.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Looks great Ben.

Can I ask what paint and spray equipment?
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 1 2019, 05:53 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 24 2018, 04:53 PM) *

Looks great Ben.

Can I ask what paint and spray equipment?

We used Ppg shopline for base and clear.. I use a 60 gallon sanborn air compressor and then a Sata jet for primer gun and ironically I bought the devilbiss starting line paint guns.. Use them for my base and clear guns.. They work very good.

For my car I will use the same base but a high end clear..
mb911
No pictures to add as we have really focused on the 944 and finishing the head gasket on the civic.. I changed the oil on the civic yesterday and took it for a test run.. It's now ready to sell. The 944 rear brake hoses were next. I changed the soft lines then had to splice a repair steel line in.. Now gotta fix the wires that run back to the hubs.. There is about 6 wires per side.. No idea why..

Then back to the 914.. I have been working on prepping the engine bay for paint. This is a monumental task as there are so many little hard to reach areas.. I have spent about 5 hours in the last 3 days with air and power tools removing paint and any surface rust.. I probably have another 3 or 4 till it's ready..

Next built some oil tanks and also my bumpers have been keeping me busy. I bought 3 cores to do the GT conversion to.. This will help with clients looking to not cut up an orginal..
whitetwinturbo
.............you have the "patience of Job" 016.gif
mb911
Gas tank is done.. Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 16 2019, 10:14 AM) *

Nice! smilie_pokal.gif What paint did you use? Gloss or semigloss?
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 16 2019, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 16 2019, 10:14 AM) *

Nice! smilie_pokal.gif What paint did you use? Gloss or semigloss?

Gloss powdercoat
914forme
Ben did you have the inside of the tank sealed or just cleaned?
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 16 2019, 10:00 AM) *

Ben did you have the inside of the tank sealed or just cleaned?

I cleaned it that's all.
mb911
Exciting arrival today along with the tank dropped into the car.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914forme
Can't wait to see your modifications to make this work in the 914 chassis.
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 17 2019, 05:22 PM) *

Can't wait to see your modifications to make this work in the 914 chassis.

I need to find the front bearing that @mcmark prototyped a year or two ago.. Modification will be next week..
mb911
Moved the engine lid pull to a GT style.. I think it will clear everything.. I hope.. biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
mb911
Steering column done.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tdskip
Thanks for the update Ben. Go go go!
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 22 2019, 10:20 AM) *

Steering column done.

Oh THAT's what that is. I didn't want to ask and look stupid so I opted for just looking stupid. So what's the advantage of this one?
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 22 2019, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 22 2019, 10:20 AM) *

Steering column done.

Oh THAT's what that is. I didn't want to ask and look stupid so I opted for just looking stupid. So what's the advantage of this one?

@bbrock it allows me to have a left hand ignition like a real 914-6 or 911.
mb911
Today we are -45/-65 windchill.. I spent a little time masking /priming, raptor liner seam sealing. I got a little crazy with the last part.. Wanted to get raptor liner on the areas that water could sit.. Still like the Monstaliner better for underneath but the raptorliner is a great seam sealer..

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
preach
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 30 2019, 04:49 PM) *

Today we are -45/-65 windchill..

Stay warm/inside Ben. It's going to be a balmy -1/-20 here in NH tonight after 7" of snow.

Build is coming together, I love it!
mb911
QUOTE(preach @ Jan 30 2019, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 30 2019, 04:49 PM) *

Today we are -45/-65 windchill..

Stay warm/inside Ben. It's going to be a balmy -1/-20 here in NH tonight after 7" of snow.

Build is coming together, I love it!

Dan the good news is that by Saturday we will be averaging 40 degrees for a week for sure..
mb911
I had to go do something with this weather.. I went out and masked and painted the rear trunk and engine compartment.. Turned out nice.. Getting close to catching up with @bbrock .. biggrin.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
............. wub.gif that fuel tank is purrrtee!

We got some rough weather here in Newport Beach, CA .... it rained lol-2.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 31 2019, 07:52 PM) *

I had to go do something with this weather.. I went out and masked and painted the rear trunk and engine compartment.. Turned out nice.. Getting close to catching up with @bbrock .. biggrin.gif

Wow! That looks fantastic. I guess I'd better step up my game biggrin.gif

BTW, how come whenever we get -30 temps, it doesn't make the national news? confused24.gif Okay, when you hit -40, you have my attention. The warm up is coming my friend. Hang in there. smile.gif
TravisNeff
Ya-es!!! Looking good Ben!
mb911
Thanks guys.. Now to consider what to use for a insulation pad on the firewall..
mb911
Starting assembly of some parts. Need to start emptying some of the shelves and boxes.. Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Sweet!!! Congrats… smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 1 2019, 03:19 PM) *

Thanks guys.. Now to consider what to use for a insulation pad on the firewall..

Nuttin!
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2019, 04:43 PM) *

Starting assembly of some parts. Need to start emptying some of the shelves and boxes.. Click to view attachment

wub.gif
whitetwinturbo
............wow, that's a cool steering wheel beer.gif
mb911
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 2 2019, 06:19 PM) *

Thanks the steering wheel was a gift from @mepstein .. He is my biggest cheerleader on this project.
mb911
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Feb 2 2019, 05:02 PM) *

Nuttin!

Thinking about this material.. What does everyone think? @bbrock what are your thoughts??

https://www.wagaero.com/black-sound-proofing-3-8.html
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2019, 10:04 PM) *

Nuttin!

Thinking about this material.. What does everyone think? @bbrock what are your thoughts??

I think if I'd have known about that stuff a couple months ago, it would be on my firewall now. Price is right too. Looks like a nice find.

Your car is looking amazing. smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 2 2019, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2019, 10:04 PM) *

Nuttin!

I think if I'd have known about that stuff a couple months ago, it would be on my firewall now. Price is right too. Looks like a nice find.

Your car is looking amazing. smilie_pokal.gif

Best part is they are 5 minutes up the road.. Gotta decide on thickness now..
live free & drive
You might look into this material:

https://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-li...aded-vinyl-mlv/

It's only $0.36 more per sqft. The inital compliant mass material will do far more than just the foam from Wag Aero. Two layers of the second skin material laminated would really do a great job at 3/4" thick.

They indicate it needs to be 2" from a direct heat source.

Although it's heavy at 1lb per sqft - kind of like the original pad which was a mass/absorber sandwich
mb911
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Feb 3 2019, 06:25 AM) *

You might look into this material:

https://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-li...aded-vinyl-mlv/

It's only $0.36 more per sqft. The inital compliant mass material will do far more than just the foam from Wag Aero. Two layers of the second skin material laminated would really do a great job at 3/4" thick.

They indicate it needs to be 2" from a direct heat source.

Although it's heavy at 1lb per sqft - kind of like the original pad which was a mass/absorber sandwich

That stuff looks to be really expensive. The stuff from wag aero I could do the whole firewall for 20 dollars. Though thinking I might glue this foam over my Noico inside the car to glue the carpet on top of as I am not using a back pad..
preach
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2019, 10:45 PM) *

Thanks the steering wheel was a gift from @mepstein .. He is my biggest cheerleader on this project.

Very cool. That with a wood outer would be my ideal.
mb911
QUOTE(preach @ Feb 3 2019, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2019, 10:45 PM) *

Very cool. That with a wood outer would be my ideal.

That would be cool as well..

So last night and this morning I was trying to inventory what I have and what I don't. It appears I have put some items in spots I would remember.. Well I don't remember at all.. Not good.. Will keep looking.
jfort
love that color. keep it going!
mb911
Here are couple pictures.. 1 of the 914rubber 914-6 column housing. I see no issues with it. I remember them saying something needed tweaking but man spot on. Then the 914rubber seal for the upper rear trunk bulkhead. This was bought from someone whom gave up on their project and put the parts up for sale.. I bought it last year and put it on but didn't finish clearly it is short. Ordered a new one this weekend hopefully it is the correct length or my car is too wide lolClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.