Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
whitetwinturbo
.........and you can fly in to WAG's headquarter [w/skis on your plane] beer.gif
mb911
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 4 2019, 07:01 PM) *

.........and you can fly in to WAG's headquarter [w/skis on your plane] beer.gif

So quick story years ago I worked there while learning my craft.. We're heard a plane take off and then a loud crash.. The guy ran out of gas on take off and downed it in the trees right next to the building.. He was fine but oops..
Freezin 914
Your car is looking great! Very inspirational! Keep up the good work! popcorn[1].gif
mb911
Next pet project. Click to view attachment
mb911
Bad picture but you get the idea.. I cut up the factory splash tray(no idea what it really is called ? I saved the drain and then built the rest from some cnc plasma cut washers.. Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Very nice!
mb911
Thanks. Tonight was finishing a bit more on the 944 for my son. I bought him a Perfect unbroken sunroof for his 18 birthday.. It showed up with 2 corners broken. Rather then the scam of usps insurance I decided to fix it. Ugh. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
I tried to collect on fedex insurance on a rebuilt 911 trans. Fedex broke it into pieces when they smashed the box with a forklift. They denied my claim do to “insufficient packing”.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2019, 07:15 PM) *

I tried to collect on fedex insurance on a rebuilt 911 trans. Fedex broke it into pieces when they smashed the box with a forklift. They denied my claim do to “insufficient packing”.

Yup USPS is the same way and ups. Your only chance of a claim is when something is lost.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 8 2019, 10:34 PM) *

Yup USPS is the same way and ups. Your only chance of a claim is when something is lost.

It's why I have the buyer make all the shipping arrangements for big stuff like engines, trans and larger out of country purchases. I take a picture of it going on the truck and then I'm done. Otherwise, I'm held responsible for the item making it to them in good condition when it's totally out of my control.
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2019, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 8 2019, 10:34 PM) *

It's why I have the buyer make all the shipping arrangements for big stuff like engines, trans and larger out of country purchases. I take a picture of it going on the truck and then I'm done. Otherwise, I'm held responsible for the item making it to them in good condition when it's totally out of my control.

.............always take a picture of interior packing job when sending [or receiving] to protect yourself sunglasses.gif
mb911
Spent a little me time last night.. Put 3/8" foam referenced earlier in this thread on the inside of the firewall then put the perlon on.. It turned out nice. Only spots that need to be sucked in are the seat belt retractor pockets. My son wanted to put the seat so did that.. 1st time since owned the car seat was actually bolted in.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Been a while since I posted there is not to much progress.. I bought a lift and preparing to do a customer's 6 conversion so priority s I guess. Allot of stuff jammed into my space.. Click to view attachment
mb911
And the lift has landed.. It's been 10 years since I moved to this place and sold my last lift when I moved. Very happy with this for the price. Helps that I have 6 inches of concrete everywhere.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif that jack is way sweet cheer.gif
mb911
Thanks.. I need to add more fluid to raise it all the way up.. It's really pretty nice.
mb911
Had 20 minutes to spare today and tried to get the wiring harness installed in the engine compartment. Well that didn't actually go as planned. I had it all ready to button up and the end that attaches to the upper engine shelf. It appears its the wrong part from 914 rubber. @mikey914 was there some incorrect ones out there?Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 25 2019, 05:18 PM) *

Had 20 minutes to spare today and tried to get the wiring harness installed in the engine compartment. Well that didn't actually go as planned. I had it all ready to button up and the end that attaches to the upper engine shelf. It appears its the wrong part from 914 rubber. @mikey914 was there some incorrect ones out there?Click to view attachment

Which part is that?
mb911
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 25 2019, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 25 2019, 05:18 PM) *

Which part is that?

@worn its the wiring snorkel.
bbrock
That's odd. Mine fit just a tad loose but it clipped into that hole okay. Is that the original shelf piece? I had to fold mine back on itself to shorten a bit to accommodate the shorter length for a /4, but other than that, it worked. confused24.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 25 2019, 05:51 PM) *

That's odd. Mine fit just a tad loose but it clipped into that hole okay. Is that the original shelf piece? I had to fold mine back on itself to shorten a bit to accommodate the shorter length for a /4, but other than that, it worked. confused24.gif

@bbrock yup it is original.. Strange to say the least.
Mikey914
We found out after that there were 2 sizes, the late with is the majority of the cars is the one we had made. I do have an idea for a solution I'll PM you.
Mark
Mikey914
This should do it
mb911
That would work.. I just measured mine and it is 1.710" @mikey914 also looked and it appears I tore my snorkel just as I finished.. Darn thing is kicking my ass.

mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2019, 03:54 PM) *

That would work.. I just measured mine and it is 1.710" @mikey914 also looked and it appears I tore my snorkel just as I finished.. Darn thing is kicking my ass.

That sounds painful.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2019, 11:57 AM) *

That sounds painful.

Just placed an order for a new snorkel and the solution that Mark noted. Frustrated a bit.. Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2019, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2019, 11:57 AM) *

That sounds painful.

Just placed an order for a new snorkel and the solution that Mark noted. Frustrated a bit.. Click to view attachment

Mine never fit either. But I had cut the original to rebuild the harness. Also I had added the six engine mount, so I blamed myself. The conversion was a ‘72. Seemed like the rubber was better but the snorkel too short.
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 2 2019, 12:06 PM) *

Spent a little me time last night.. Put 3/8" foam referenced earlier in this thread on the inside of the firewall then put the perlon on.. It turned out nice. Only spots that need to be sucked in are the seat belt retractor pockets. My son wanted to put the seat so did that.. 1st time since owned the car seat was actually bolted in.. Click to view attachment

I like the back pad upholstery. Ice is almost gone on lake mendota so time to be driving piratenanner.gif
mb911
I am more disappointed that it tore and wasted another $50.. Crap..
mb911
Spent a couple hours working on it tonight. Putting the engine shelf seals in.. Wow so much fun is all I can say..
mb911
Well spent an hour finishing the engine seal install while I guided my son on Upholstery for the 944. Got the seals in and cut the old snorkel off waiting for the new one to come in. Click to view attachment
mb911
Made some progress.

Stainless brake lines from PMB in, braided stainless lines in, 914rubber m/c in Thanks to @mepstein , stainless fuel lines in, wevo front engine mount in, wire harness in with the second 914 rubber snorkel that came in the mail today. Still not happy with the fit and not sure what I am going to do yet. Also note that I need to tape the wire harness yet with the gaffer tape.

Any thoughts on the snorkel fittment. ??? Anyone? @bbrock ?Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bbrock
[quote name='mb911' date='Mar 30 2019, 08:14 PM' post='2701318']
Any thoughts on the snorkel fittment. ??? Anyone? @bbrock ?

Am I seeing it right that the rubber adapter piece Mark made is separating from the snorkel? If so, what do you suppose would happen if you glued that piece on. Think it would have enough bite in the hole to hold everything in place? Another thought I had was making or buying a metal adapter piece to reduce the hole diameter. Something like like electrical reducing washers. Might even be able to find one the right size already made? confused24.gif

https://www.homedepot.com/s/reducing%2520washer?NCNI-5
mb911
I might cnc plasma cut something but just stinks that the snorkel is for a 31mm hole and the hole on the chassis is 34mm .
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 30 2019, 08:51 PM) *

I might cnc plasma cut something but just stinks that the snorkel is for a 31mm hole and the hole on the chassis is 34mm .

agree.gif I can't figure out why mine fits okay. Like I said, it was a little loose in the hole, but once I got it positioned, it seems pretty solid. confused24.gif

Other than the snorkel, you're car is looking fantastic. smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 30 2019, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 30 2019, 08:51 PM) *

agree.gif I can't figure out why mine fits okay. Like I said, it was a little loose in the hole, but once I got it positioned, it seems pretty solid. confused24.gif

Other than the snorkel, you're car is looking fantastic. smilie_pokal.gif

I am not sure either. I think because it fits around a stock 6 bulkhead mount so it angles it?
Dave_Darling
I believe the real answer is that there were different size holes through the years, and the 914rubber guys didn't realize that when they first made this product...

--DD
mepstein
I would just start wrapping the end of the rubber snorkel with black electrical tape until it fits the hole.
mb911
Well not much this last week or this week. Made an order with auto Atlanta (1st time in 20 years) and the transaction went flawlessly . @mepstein sent me some of the little brass fittings etc to make the brake line connections (thanks Mark) gonna be in Cleveland all week this week certifying for SMAW.. So next weekend should be some more progress.. Other priorities like son's 944 , house work and other son's baseball will be demanding some time from me along with for some reason there is a big demand on oil tanks right now so busy.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment

Hopefully the mulch gets done while I am gone

And a nice shot of a d1.1 cert practice. I haven't done one in 15 years as I primarly do TIG. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
Reminds me I have to order up a couple yards of mulch. I've been a slacker living in the appt and house needs lots of love. Send some of your boys my way when they are done at your house.
mb911
Well believe it or not I have been making progress on the car but little projects like brake lines take allot of time. Today completed my test steppes 1.5-1.625 headers.. If testing goes well I will build heat exchangers around them..

Just mounted them on the run stand and my newly redone heads the one that didn't get time certed pulled the threads mad.gif .. One more thing to fix.

Plan to do some rough tuning this week and likely start to prepare for the engine install. Click to view attachment
mepstein
What do stepped headers do over regular ones.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2019, 07:46 PM) *

Improve power in all rpm ranges.
gms
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 21 2019, 08:34 PM) *

PURDY!

mb911
Spent an hour getting some left hand ignition love started. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(gms @ Apr 22 2019, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 21 2019, 08:34 PM) *

PURDY!

..............eye candy shades.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2019, 11:46 PM) *

If the exhaust ports in the heads are 1.5", don't want sudden expansion right there.
Not sure what heads have what size ports ???
mb911
Trying to wrap up a few projects so I can mount parts as I am running out of space with my project, James conversion and the 944 .. Doors are likely a place holder until I find nicer ones at some point.. They are going to be straight. Click to view attachment
mb911
Some icing on the low spots on the door and time to block and reprime.. Steering wheel back from Dallas. Looks very nice. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.