Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Place holder doors until I find some mint rust free and straight doorsClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
preach
Coming along.

Thank steering wheel is pretty. drooley.gif
mb911
Its just one more piece. It was an experiment. I wanted to Jam the doors and start assembly . I will likely respray when I paint the entire car. Just a reminder of what they looked like.Click to view attachment
mb911
Put them on so now final fitting front and back. Please keep in mind the exterior will be resprayed when I paint the whole car.. But the doors are pretty straight.. This is for inspiration/motivation for me.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Today I ordered my throttle and clutch cables from Terry cables(hope they are good quality, final fit the stainless fuel lines in the tunnel with all the grommets, put a gallon of diesel fuel and a touch of oil in the tank to do a final clean and preservation before installation(final).
mb911
Front oil cooler installed along with the spare. Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
.........go, Go, GO cheer.gif
Cairo94507
It is nice to see them with parts being installed. Also, gets stuff off the shelves, floor, etc. beerchug.gif
mb911
Trying to fit the tank in properly so I can cut the hole in the hood.. Notice my hinges from @ValcoOscar .. Click to view attachment
bbrock
Man that is looking good! aktion035.gif
defianty
Very nice Ben!
mb911
Worked on the trunk. Cut out the infected edge of the lip and rebuilt it.. I have to take a picture of that yet.. Then I cut out the previously lap joint braze weld in the center of the trunk.. Finished pictures to follow.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bbrock
That repair separates the men from the boys. I am not a man. I was too chicken to attempt that and bought a rust free lid. Eager to watch the pro tackle this one.
sixnotfour
blink.gif agree.gif
mb911
Here is progress though only a bit of time spent on it. Spending all my free time on James conversion. Click to view attachment
mb911
My adaption of the GT puke tank bracket.. This will actually be mounted on the passenger side to clear the jack area on my chassis. Click to view attachment
mb911
Welded trunk hole shut .time to drill holes for rear badge. Haven't done much else on the car but did finish driver side quarter metal finishing so that is in full body work mode.. Have to finish James car before I do much on mine.. Gonna push to get my car in one piece for spring as oldest is off to college so time to sell our big house to move into something a bit smaller= less work space.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Thanks for the updates Ben, and congratulations on getting one off to college.
mb911
I didn't take pictures but ran the engine again and then dumped the oil.. Took chain case covers off to check things out .. Everything checks out. Mounted the GT oil puke tank , painted the underside of the rear trunk lid.. Still want to do fiberglass trunk lid at some point. Also painted the GT engine lid.. Gonna mount that next week.

I did recieve a shift linkage kit from @mepstein who is also having @914forme making a 10k tach for my car(lots of horse trading going on)

I need to finish @jwinner s car then full borw on making mine 1 piece with color by spring.

I will post pictures soon..
914forme
The cat is out of the bag shades.gif
mb911
In preparation for a possible move I have been working on James car and mine as much as possible. My boys helped me put the engine in tonight while I worked on @jwinner car. Happy that is out of the way. Click to view attachment
mb911
My freshly restored air filter doesn't fit.. Unhappy about that.. I really don't want rain hats.. I have to figure that out.. I don't want to cut but may just have to sell it to fund rain hat's.. Ugh.. Front bumper comes in tomorrow from @oscarvalez. Waiting on word on possible new house. Will lose work space but will actually gain time as I won't be doing as much yard work etc @ironhillsrestorations... So much to do so little time..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 25 2019, 07:41 PM) *

My freshly restored air filter doesn't fit.. Unhappy about that.. I really don't want rain hats..

That sucks. I love the look of the six air cleaners. Hopefully you can figure something out. Love that engine in there! aktion035.gif
mb911
@bbrock it's all about setbacks.. biggrin.gif
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 25 2019, 07:05 PM) *

@bbrock it's all about setbacks.. biggrin.gif

Welcome to the world of cars my friend av-943.gif

I see you use Mahle filters? Thats ok, I only use K&N Gold in my garage shades.gif

Just playing keep rockin and rollin @mb911 your topic is pretty popular here.

-Ed
mb911
Lol yup mahle filters.. I have heard the k&n oil filters are good..
GeorgeRud
I had heard that the 914-6 air cleaners were shorter than those used in 911s. If you need to check them, I know where you might find an original 914-6 one to compare to yours.
914forme
Ben I have an extra 914-6 one, the ends are a bit misinformed due to some heat added to them at some point. Thinking a back fire, but don't know the history of it, as it is older than me.

BTW, PMOs don't fit the stock air boxes 914-6 or 911, and least not my set. confused24.gif I was planning on running a metal 911 box and modify it to function like the 914-6 one. Since I have both of them here, I can take measurements.

Anybody know where I can get the filters for the top of the velocity stacks. Jake Raby liked them at one point in time. I would run them with a set of 906 style hats, that is just me. I can not find the ones Jake talked about using. confused24.gif
mb911
@914forme . Thanks if you could. I feeling a bit rushed as we maybe moving so just not fighting the small stuff. I posted it for a ridiculous amount on the bird board. Might just buy rain hats and be done with it. Also did you get my PM .. Want to ship that stuff to you this week.
mb911
Glued in some of the carpet. Trying to inbox some items to minimize duplicate parts. Also caved and bought the 50 year floor mats.. Complete impulse buy. Click to view attachment
mb911
My 3 speed wiper project is now complete. I will install it shortly. Click to view attachment
mb911
No pictures really but back to the drawing board. I need to cut out a damaged lower piece where the mixing box on the passenger side. It was damaged years ago and thought I hammered it back but it's just to out of shape.. To fit the mixing box. So new parts from @mepstein and Garold and I will be set.. Some s calipers are on the way to me so I will be selling my restored A calipers from PMB.. I did however work on cleaning up more wiring. Wiper assembly needs one quick weld to tack a nut on for another location for the rubber isolator..
mb911
Put the air filter in place though that doesn't seem like a big deal it makes me feel like I am making progress. James car has taken 4 months of summer.. I am almost done but have to get on with some of my projects as well.. I also recieved my 911s calipers the other day. I took them apart today and found they have stainless pistons in them so that saves me some money.. Was going to send them out to PMB but think I am just going to save the money and scuff and cerakote them. I did get ready my first step in efi parts hoarding and clear cerakote on the 3.2 intake. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914forme
That is a great intake for an EFI swap, much easier with a single throttle body. And they make decent power.
bahnzai
Hello Ben,
I may have missed it in the thread somewhere, but what are the details on your three speed wiper project?
Thanks!
mb911
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Sep 7 2019, 06:19 AM) *

Hello Ben,
I may have missed it in the thread somewhere, but what are the details on your three speed wiper project?
Thanks!

@bahnzai it is just a 944 motor on the stock 914 linkage so that my left side ignition setup with 911 wiper and turn signal stalks work as designed.
bahnzai
Ah, got it. Thanks!
mb911
Got a replacement sheet metal part from Garold today for the Front trunk.. So back to weld a small panel in and repaint a little area.. Did spend way to much time putting cvs together then had to put them in the swing arms and had to ask for help because I was in a hurry from @mepstein and @bbrock ..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 12 2019, 08:12 PM) *

Got a replacement sheet metal part from Garold today for the Front trunk.. So back to weld a small panel in and repaint a little area.. Did spend way to much time putting cvs together then had to put them in the swing arms and had to ask for help because I was in a hurry from @mepstein and @bbrock ..

And I was totally worthless. Did you get them in?
mb911
Yes I did shock bolt removed and it worked perfectly
mb911
Today I bolted the trunk lid on (the bottom side is already body color), the GT engine lid and started on bolting in muffler heat shield.. Tomorrow the realtor brings the drones for pictures for MLS.. Gotta make the car as much one piece as possible.. I also installed James head light and eye brow covers on. Trying to also purge as much junk as possible.. I now have a pretty good handle on things.

S calipers get redone this weekend. Along with packera vs broncos game. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Spent some time working on running all the new cables, found an obstruction in the accelerator cable run and will likely have to cut a length off and then put a new length through the firewall, hooked up all the brake lines. Getting closer to having brakes.. Had 3 home showings over the last 3 days so thatbis killing my project time..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 23 2019, 04:20 PM) *

Spent some time working on running all the new cables, found an obstruction in the accelerator cable run and will likely have to cut a length off and then put a new length through the firewall, hooked up all the brake lines. Getting closer to having brakes.. Had 3 home showings over the last 3 days so thatbis killing my project time..

I had a couple tube plugged with gunk I was able to clean out by first cutting a piece of clothes hanger wire at an angle to make a point, then chucking it in a drill to spin it as I worked it in and out of the tubes. I bunch of rusty dirt and crap came out. I followed that up with pulling steel wire bottle brushes through (I picked up an assortment cheap at HF). And because I'm anal, I finished by dragging a small cloth soaked in Ospho through and after it was dry, repeated with a rag soaked in epoxy primer. Anywho, the clothes hanger wire is worth a try.
mb911
@bbrock I drilled to clear it out but no go.. Likely have to cut and splice a new piece in. Ugh
bbrock
Well bummer. At least you know an excellent welder. I am curious how one goes about splicing small tubing like that. I know I couldn't do it! popcorn[1].gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 24 2019, 06:34 PM) *

Well bummer. At least you know an excellent welder. I am curious how one goes about splicing small tubing like that. I know I couldn't do it! popcorn[1].gif

Well been thinking I might sleave it and epoxy it.. No welding.. I need to find a window to do the work though.. Selling a house is terrible..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 25 2019, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 24 2019, 06:34 PM) *

Well been thinking I might sleave it and epoxy it.. No welding.. I need to find a window to do the work though.. Selling a house is terrible..

If you think selling is bad, try building.

My friend described it to me as putting all your money in the back seat of your car, going for a drive with the windows open and your mother in law in the passenger seat - for a year.
mb911
Poor man S caliper rebuild. PMB duro ano pistons, cerakote and replating the steel parts.. The seal that goes on the plate that gets bolted on was not included in the new seal kits. Gotta call Eric Monday and get those and the banjo fittings and then I will finally have an entire working brake setup. Click to view attachment
914forme
@MB911 Ben is that oven cure or air cure? They do look very nice.

BTW, we are selling a house also, under contract, but title company waited to long and made the buyer fall out of contract. More showings this weekend. Buyer is filing for an extension, we have a second offer on the table, but I do not feel like being a dick and swapping offers due to a poor pick of title companies.

Then I am in the process of renovating a house.... More stuff goes wrong I will have no hair left... Renovation is a true money pit, almost as bad as owning a boat.

And we built several houses, I like new construction the best. You know what you're getting into, and well, you never have a hidden problem.

That is just me, but then my side of the family are all in construction, and I learned from my Grandfather who was a master plumber, electrician, and carpenter. Man was amazing, miss him everyday, would make me look like an amateur even today, and most likely still out work me.

Best of luck with the sale Ben
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.