Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ductech
Hey Guys!

I have a transmission that I need to ship CONUS From AZ to TX.

the obvious part is that it needs to stuck on a pallet and the preferably be crated on top of that.

Does anyone know of a decent carrier for transporting it across a couple states?

Thanks in advance!
mepstein
We just call freight quote and they take care of the rest. Pricing is always good. I usually stop by pep boys on my way into the shop, by some $5 straps and use that to secure the engine or trans to the pallet. Staples sells the plastic wrap. That's all you need.
Ductech
So... then, does a two state journey at 135lbs end up being in the 350 and up range? cause that seems spendy.
Unobtanium-inc
The cheapest way to go is terminal to terminal with a company like Forward Air, but that one person has to drop off and the other has to pick up. If not you can call one of the companies like Engines Direct and they can handle everything, but it costs close to double to pickup-transit-dropoff, more if liftgates are involved.
mepstein
Dr evil uses large Tupperware to ship. I did it once and it ads very little weight and let's one person handle the package into a van, suvb, pick up. Weighs about 80 total so fed ex might work well for that.

We pay 325 to ship a 6 engine. Trans should be way less but residential can cost.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2015, 11:20 AM) *

Dr evil uses large Tupperware to ship. I did it once and it ads very little weight and let's one person handle the package into a van, suvb, pick up. Weighs about 80 total so fed ex might work well for that.

We pay 325 to ship a 6 engine. Trans should be way less but residential can cost.

I got a gearbox one time shipped in a Coleman cooler. It was minus the axles.
Ductech
Dude I love the Tupperware idea!!! The good Dr. Evil is so clever sometimes. piratenanner.gif

I'm off to get a pallet! and if that doesn't pan out a super duty tuppertub is on the list.

Ill contact my buyer as well and see what he wants. I hadn't thought of the drop off and pick up aspect.

tweet
Dump the oil it will weigh less.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(tweet @ Nov 18 2015, 02:10 PM) *

Dump the oil it will weigh less.

agree.gif I used a Rubbermaid tub I picked up at Menards the last time I shipped a transmission. Just make sure you have the tail cone ears wrapped well so they don't get broken during shipping. I taped the lid down with reinforced tape and drill a few holes along the lid ridge and used ty-wraps to help keep it closed. Just drop off at FedEx and had no issues.
dangrouche
that tupperware tub is yellow with a black lid at COSTCO for about $12; apparently it fits the 901 rather perfectly. use support padding of course
BeatNavy
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Nov 18 2015, 05:22 PM) *

that tupperware tub is yellow with a black lid at COSTCO for about $12; apparently it fits the 901 rather perfectly. use support padding of course

That's what I used when I shipped my gear stack to Dr. Evil for refurbishment, and the gear stack is most of the size/weight. Punch (or drill) a bunch of holes around the lid where it overlaps the lip of the container and secure with zip ties. I think there must have been like 30 on mine. Shipped FedEx Ground and I think it was about $75 or $85.

And I agree, put sufficient padding in there (towels, cardboard, etc.). When Mike shipped it back to me, he threw in all kinds of stuff to keep the stack stable, including this awesome "Mermaid Restaurant, Hermosa CA" golf shirt. Sometimes I snuggle up with it on cold nights and I feel extra close to Dr. Evil. wub.gif

Although it smells like tranny oil. Or like Mike. Not sure which.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.