Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 914-6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
gridgway
Following on from my good friend James' success (23e Heure) in buying his dream 914-6 rep from a WTB on here, I too am looking for a car.

Looking for a peppy 914 -6 conversion (a nice real one will be too much for my budget). Needs to be done well, look great, but not a brand new nut and bolt resto - needs to be driveable rather than perfect (but no rust - we Brits hate rust).

And yes I am in brit-land, but have a solid budget and a USD account to do wire transfers (con-men need not apply!).

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Graham
billh1963
QUOTE(gridgway @ Nov 18 2015, 04:58 PM) *

Following on from my good friend James' success (23e Heure) in buying his dream 914-6 rep from a WTB on here, I too am looking for a car.

Looking for a peppy 914 -6 conversion (a nice real one will be too much for my budget). Needs to be done well, look great, but not a brand new nut and bolt resto - needs to be driveable rather than perfect (but no rust - we Brits hate rust).

And yes I am in brit-land, but have a solid budget and a USD account to do wire transfers (con-men need not apply!).

Thanks in advance

Graham

You should give an indication of budget...that will help narrow the field

Also, you need to define "no rust". Virtually all have some level of rust ranging from surface rust to rotten.
gridgway
Thanks for the post, good points made. Also I've not intro'd myself at all. So in summary - a Brit, 55 years old, work in the world of software, now part time rather than full. Had a series of 911s (oldest a 73 RS rep, newest a 996GT3RS), not a collector or polisher, definitely a driver and club racer.

Currently - have a 3.8 345bhp RSR/Iroc/Rep/hot rod plus a bog standard 81 SC.
Racing currently in historic single seaters (78 Reynard FF2000 in the UKs HSCC), previously Radical SR3RS.

Here's some footage. Short amount at Brands Hatch - with my daughter in the car (near the back – she’s not got to grips with it yet) and then the last race of the season at Silverstone with me in the car - nearish the front and finally getting to grips with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYCdZNwtVUk...eature=youtu.be

If anyone’s interested look on youtube for my channel (Graham Ridgway, there is in car footage, some FF2000, mostly Radical racing).

And to the car...I've hankered after a 914 since I was 22 when I had a ride in one (it seemed extremely fast at the time). As I'm not allowed to have more than 2 fun cars at once (3 if you count the race car), I will need to part with the SC (which will take some doing).

Having driven a 2.0l car, I think I want something a bit faster, hence looking for a 6. I’m unsure of flares or not, so open to ideas. Mostly to be used for touring, fast road and poss track. I had thought of getting a race car and doing some racing, but it has to be very true to original spec to race in historics over here.

As to the rust question, yes I understand they are old cars, but I want a very good one, not rotten one. I’m not looking for recent nut and bolt resto as they are too shiny to use really!

And to budget – it’s quite flexible, happy to go past $20k to $30k for a great car.
And thanks so far for the PMs I have received.

Cheers
Graham (sorry for rambling on and taking my own thread off topic!)

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 20 2015, 05:11 PM) *

You should give an indication of budget...that will help narrow the field
Also, you need to define "no rust". Virtually all have some level of rust ranging from surface rust to rotten.

Cairo94507
welcome.png Terrific historical and experience. I think you have a good budget and will find the right car for you. You will love the 914 with the six in it.

Given your likely racing wants, if you find one with steel GT glares, I think you will be money ahead. You will need some rubber under the car if it has a six and the GT flares will permit some wider tires. Best wishes.
gridgway
Thanks Michael.
Graham
porschetub
QUOTE(gridgway @ Nov 19 2015, 10:58 AM) *

Thanks in advance

Graham

Sorry missed which one James purchased,had been watching but didn't see ?.

gridgway
Not sure which one it was, but it's white and looks very smart!

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 22 2015, 06:00 PM) *

david63
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 22 2015, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(gridgway @ Nov 19 2015, 10:58 AM) *

Thanks in advance

Graham

He purchased this beautiful car from me and it is on its way "across the pond". Great working with James. As you can expect we spent a lot of time on the phone, email, etc. Hope he enjoys the car as much as I did.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.