Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Passing along what could be a find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Logistics are preventing me from chasing this myself. Buyer needs to be present with cash in hand, but this appears to be the real deal. A 1986 E30 with only 1500 miles. Looks like an Automatic which is a bummer, but could be a killer deal.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5321242234.html

Just posting in case any members are close. It's been my experience that estate sales like this turn out positive for the buyer/collector.

Best
Ferg
Porschef

I know that street, drive past it every day during my commute. About 9 miles from my home

Sounds like the guy wants to hold a local auction. .

bs.gif
Tom_T
I have an 85 E30 325e 5spd since new with 121 HP but it gets 30-40 mpg fwy verified & 17-22 around town (depending on stops & right foot), which is still my & wife's DD with about 198k on original engine. Mine is the same Perl Beige interior with Cosmos Blue (light silvery blue) paint - but I can't tell if this one is Cosmos (rarer color) or Silver.

EDIT - this is the same 121 HP motor with great mpg as I have, but BMW denoted the sport version with the "ES" (all 2 door "325e" in 84-85 were sport models, with the Recaro seats, 3-spoke sport steering wheel, etc. goodies - similar to what Porsche did with the 73 914-2.0 "914S" then decontented the 2.0's in 74>).

It will still be a great & long lasting ride with the auto, & turn in great mpg's on long trips!

This is the 86 325es with 161 121 HP but lesser & same mpg & great low end Torque , so I wouldn't worry about the Auto, since it has the bolstered Recaro seats, which means it's the sports model with F&R sways & other goodies, so it's a great DD with auto + fun on the twisties. (EDIT: it was the 87 or 88 3251s that got the 165 HP motor).

What I would worry about is the non-use for +/- 30 years, so everything would need checked & all soft lines/parts, fluids, etc. would need to be replaced - that is after verifying it's not actually turned over the odo!

.... & then why was it just parked!?

E30's are great little cars! ....of course I'm prejudiced! biggrin.gif

That 69 Grand Prix could be an interesting find for a collector too - especially if it's a J-code model!

Porschef should go check it out, since it's close! driving.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Ferg
QUOTE(Porschef @ Nov 19 2015, 10:51 AM) *

I know that street, drive past it every day during my commute. About 9 miles from my home

Sounds like the guy wants to hold a local auction. .

bs.gif

Most likely lawyer run estate, one day deal, done and closed. Been there done that with two classic dodge trucks. Bought them very cheap, worked out real well.

As far as sitting, it all just depends. I've bought similar low mile finds and just had to do a battery, and fresh gas. I've had others that were a bit more involved.

Tom_T
30 years sitting Ferg, you've gotta do it all, or it may not last if just change gas & oil & drive off IMHO, & that of Auto Restorer magazine's recent letter answer on same topic.

If it was just parked with the old oil for 30 years, it could've turned acidic & eaten away at the innards, similarly with coolant, brake fluid, etc.

Also, I stand corrected on the 325es HP - it was still the 121 HP of my 85 325e & with the great mpg (probably a bit less with the AT), but that eta I-6 has great TQ so not as noticeable as weak (similar to our 73-74 2.0 H-4 914s with 95 HP but great low end TQ more than the 914-6's vs. the 2.0 H-6 70-72 with the higher HP but TQ way up in the revs).

That BMW 2.7L I-6 eta engine was also used in the 528e 4-door sedans with AT & they were still pretty spunky even with a bigger/heavier car, but got great mpg's!

It was the 87 or 88 325is that went to 161 HP, but with less low end TQ IIRC.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Ferg
Oh I agree, It will need sorting, point being impossible to tell what until you dig in.

If it has been started periodically all these years, even driven around the block that would help.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.