Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 38K mile car listed on Samba
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
I saw this car listed on Samba for sale.....38K miles for $39K.

Looks nice but not much info.....does it belong to someone here?

Top 1% condition original paint/interior car Price: 39000
A car like this comes along once every couple years (last car I saw in similar condition/price was a year and a half ago), this is a spectacular original paint, interior, chrome, top, etc car with 38,000 miles in immaculate original condition. Looks and drives like a brand new car.

Serious inquiries please for additional pictures after a phone call to discuss the car. This isn't a tire kicker, looking for a nice driver type of car, this is as close to a perfect 914 as you'll find. I have a line on another car I'm interested in, if that car sells first, I'll take down this ad and keep this car.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1862782
siverson
Wow that does look very nice.

-Steve
mepstein
Reminds me of the member here who inherited his dad's car and converted back from 5 lug. It looked this perfect.
Ductech
looks pretty concourse ... mad.gif
72wrxporsche914
Looks like the car from Clovis Ca . I've seen it at coffee and cars I believe .
echocanyons
It is indeed a nice example, I have seen it.

Must have been a different one, I was thinking it was the Clovis car too.
Chris Pincetich
drooley.gif
beerchug.gif
whitetwinturbo
...............I think there is a speck of dust in one of those photos....or.....my OCD is kicking in confused24.gif
bmendel
yes, so much for using Samba to be a little more anonymous. I have a small chance at the "equivalent to this car" 912, all original everything, even the same color, if that doesn't pan out, I won't sell the 914
Cal
QUOTE(bmendel @ Nov 19 2015, 03:22 PM) *

yes, so much for using Samba to be a little more anonymous. I have a small chance at the "equivalent to this car" 912, all original everything, even the same color, if that doesn't pan out, I won't sell the 914

Now that the 'cat is out of the bag' how about sharing some details.....year, engine, history, etc.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bmendel @ Nov 19 2015, 12:22 PM) *

So does that mean we can start pointing out all the things that aren't original on this immaculate original condition car?
biggrin.gif
bmendel
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 19 2015, 02:02 PM) *

So does that mean we can start pointing out all the things that aren't original on this immaculate original condition car?
biggrin.gif

It just says original paint/interior/chrome/top, not that all the mechanicals/suspension are completely stock...

Edit, sorry, let me fix that and remove the extra "original" in there, not trying represent that nothing has changed from stock, just that some of the most important things are still original, and the condition is perfect
bandjoey
Really nice car! Ok I'll start.
Passenger mirror, turn signal lens, stainless brake lines.
Heat else?
iwanta914-6
LOVE IT!

BUT...I don't have $39K to throw around sad.gif

Besides, I want a driver that I'm not afraid to get a small rock chip or door ding. That is a beautiful example though, so clean!
Cairo94507
I wish I could buy that car. I love it and hope it goes to someone who appreciates it and does not just flip it. GLWTS
rgolia
That is cleaner than my 914 was the day my Dad brought it home from the dealer.
SchwarzHorse
$39k is 911.996 twin-turbo market price.
...I know what I'd be buying.
Ductech
QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Nov 19 2015, 05:48 PM) *

Some things are just not logical.. I could never get that excited about a 914 at that price. A twin turbo should be like four times the smiles per hour right?
Amphicar770
Beautiful car. The challenge is that driving it is instant depreciation.

Before buying the 914 I had a pristine MR2 Turbo (93 I believe) with about 11k miles on it. I almost felt guilty putting on miles and mostly her as a trailer queen. BTW, while it was far more refined that the 914, it simply lacked the character and soul of the 914.

I consider my 914 to be an exceptional, low mileage example but still with enough "experience" that I am willing to drive her and add some miles.
pbanders
I could be wrong, but this might be my friend Scott Detro's car. I'll check with him.
Rav914
QUOTE(Ductech @ Nov 19 2015, 06:46 PM) *

Some things are just not logical.. I could never get that excited about a 914 at that price. A twin turbo should be like four times the smiles per hour right?

Naw, "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow". IMO, newer cars are boring at anything other than law-breaking speeds, and most of them are just plain boring. A 914 is fun at any speed.
pbanders
QUOTE(pbanders @ Nov 19 2015, 08:07 PM) *

I could be wrong, but this might be my friend Scott Detro's car. I'll check with him.

Sent him an email, but I dug up a pic of his car, wrong wheels, he had a 5-lug conversion. Scott's car is as clean as the one in the Samba ad.

http://www.p914.com/p914_paint_L32K_73.htm
Shredhead
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 19 2015, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Ductech @ Nov 19 2015, 06:46 PM) *

Naw, "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow". IMO, newer cars are boring at anything other than law-breaking speeds, and most of them are just plain boring. A 914 is fun at any speed.

agree.gif
Mike Fitton
Same Car! http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229715
gcrotvik
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 19 2015, 11:34 AM) *

Reminds me of the member here who inherited his dad's car and converted back from 5 lug. It looked this perfect.

It's the same car. It will be interesting to see if he gets his asking price.
euro911
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 19 2015, 07:39 PM) *
I knew I had seen it before. CLEAN smile.gif
boxsterfan
If I had the money, I would end up buying it and driving it. Of course, if I had that kind of spare cash I wouldn't worry about depreciation.

Beautiful car.
pete000
Time capsule
mepstein
$39k may look like peanuts in another 40 years.

Nice car!
914Next
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 20 2015, 05:16 AM) *

$39k may look like peanuts in another 40 years.

Nice car!

agree.gif if it's as nice as it seems I'd easily be a buyer at $34-$36. Would want to see solid documentation and history also. Anything above that is not insane but I'm not sure I'm a buyer at that level.
r_towle
Looks like someone pressure washed the paint off the bottom of the front trunk and the area behind it. That would concern me, and it would create an immediate need to strip the car apart to paint any areas like that.
Cairo94507
Not so sure about that. Some of the bottoms of these cars were just not heavily/completely painted and appear as this car does. It looks like they just did not paint with good coverage.
scotty b
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 20 2015, 05:42 AM) *

Not so sure about that. Some of the bottoms of these cars were just not heavily/completely painted and appear as this car does. It looks like they just did not paint with good coverage.

agree.gif It's the way it came Richard. They only had overspray on the very bottoms. 911 were the same way
EdwardBlume
Flame me, but I think its a $30K car.
pbanders
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 19 2015, 08:39 PM) *

The pic where there's two guys looking at it, I think that was taken at Bob Grigsby's shop in the alley off of Mary Ave. I know because my car spent plenty of time there!
Cal
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 20 2015, 08:54 AM) *

You think $39K is high.....check out this 4 banger in the UK for sale at $60K!

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use...classic/4965020

mepstein
It's cheap compared to the cost of a nice restoration
siverson
That's funny. I feel like I'm getting old... smile.gif

That's actually MY old car and I didn't recognize it at first:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229715

I sold it in 2011. I forgot the name of the guy I sold it to, but do have that paperwork at home. I think he is the one that did the serious cleaning and converted to 5 bolt.

And it looks like he corrected a few other small things that weren't "correct" on the car - now has factory steering wheel, etc.

-Steve
bmendel
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 20 2015, 10:15 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...69731&st=20

I sold it in 2011. I forgot the name of the guy I sold it to, but do have that paperwork at home. I think he is the one that did the serious cleaning and converted to 5 bolt.

And it looks like he corrected a few other small things that weren't "correct" on the car - now has factory steering wheel, etc.

-Steve

I think you sold it in 06 from the paperwork we have. My dad bought it from the guy you sold it to in mid-2011

So it's been driven 1000 miles/year since you sold it
Chris H.
I think those are my old 4 lug Fuchs on that car. Wow, small world. Those were nice wheels thumb3d.gif .
thieuster
QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 20 2015, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 20 2015, 08:54 AM) *

You think $39K is high.....check out this 4 banger in the UK for sale at $60K!

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use...classic/4965020

You are right. And over on autoscout24.de, the German car site, you can find them for about the same money (/6s asking prices are LOT higher, btw).

It will not take 40 yrs before you realise that this asking price isn't too bad... Look what happened to the 912 market! After all: the 914 is the final affordable Porsche!

Menno
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 20 2015, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 20 2015, 05:42 AM) *

agree.gif It's the way it came Richard. They only had overspray on the very bottoms. 911 were the same way

Thank you Scottish.

I never knew that.
Up here it's either covered with undercoating, or rust.

All the restored ones I have seen are painted top and bottom.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(thieuster @ Nov 20 2015, 03:35 PM) *

After all: the 914 is the final affordable Porsche!

Menno

Final affordable air cooled Porsche perhaps. Lots of affordable water pumpers like the 924, 944, 928, boxters and the 996.

euro911
Any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Even if the price initially shocks some of us.

If he succeeds in getting his asking price, or close to it, it's a good thing for those of us that already have one ... or two, or ... biggrin.gif
siverson
QUOTE(bmendel @ Nov 20 2015, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 20 2015, 10:15 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...69731&st=20

-Steve

I think you sold it in 06 from the paperwork we have. My dad bought it from the guy you sold it to in mid-2011

So it's been driven 1000 miles/year since you sold it

Hmmm... well, I'm confused. What's the VIN?

I've owned two very nice, low-mileage 914s:

- Bahia 914, 4732905198, 1973 2.0 sold on 2011-03

- Phoenix Red 914, 4732903509, 1973 1.7 from Denver sold to Scott Detro on 2006-09-30

But the one I sold in 2006 was a 1.7. Is this an original 2.0 car? (that looks like a 2.0 engine to me)

-Steve

siverson
Here is my old 1.7 car:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...732903509-6.jpg

All the photos of my old x3509 car here:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...ptional914s.htm

Were taken by me or when I owned it.

-Steve
JamesM
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 19 2015, 03:28 PM) *

Really nice car! Ok I'll start.
Passenger mirror, turn signal lens, stainless brake lines.
Heat else?

Invisible rear swaybar
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pbanders @ Nov 20 2015, 06:14 AM) *

The pic where there's two guys looking at it, I think that was taken at Bob Grigsby's shop in the alley off of Mary Ave. I know because my car spent plenty of time there!

Yes, that's Grigsby's. We take my wife's SC there.

Guess who one of those two guys is?

--DD
siverson
So... does anyone know if this was originally a 1.7 (and now has a 2.0)?

-Steve
bmendel
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 21 2015, 12:13 PM) *

So... does anyone know if this was originally a 1.7 (and now has a 2.0)?

-Steve

Yes, this is you old 1.7, it currently has two engines, the original 1.7 in the garage and a fairly newly built 2.0 currently in it. We had planned to take it back to fully stock by haven't gotten around to it yet, plan was to built the 1.7 to a bigger displacement motor keeping the stock outward appearance. If it doesn't sell or I don't pursue the the other car, we'll get around to that someday soon. Who knows, my dad may want it back after driving it today...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.