Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad noises from engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timofly
74 914 2.0 (oversized to 2.1 w/96mm p&c) Web-cam 73 about 6,000 miles since a complete overhaul, intermittent rattle noise at idle, seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Fan is tight, exhaust and HE are tight. Oil pressure is fine and engine revs fine but the noise is scary because it sounds like metal to metal. Engine does not leak, smoke or use oil. Power seems normal. This just started as an occasional tap and has now progressed, so whatever it is, it's getting worse.

Ideas, before I start taking things apart?

jimkelly
make sure your valve rockers are all tight
stugray
agree.gif

First troubleshooting step with these engines is to set (reset) the valves.
This might resolve the noise, or might indicate where the problem is.
Valy
How is your oil pump doing?
Elliot Cannon
Check the alternator belt tension. Mine was doing the same thing.
McMark
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2015, 05:25 PM) *

And make sure the lower pivot bolt is there and has a nut on the back still.
timofly
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 21 2015, 06:29 PM) *

How is your oil pump doing?

Oil pressure is normal and shows 25 lbs at idle (800 rpm) when warm. No leaks or metal detected in oil. Any other way to determine oil pump health?
timofly
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2015, 07:25 PM) *

Thanks, will do tomorrow.
timofly
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 08:14 AM) *

Thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow.
Bob L.
I would also check that the cooling tins are tight. They can rattle.
timofly

Spot on, Elloitt. Teh alternator belt is so loose I'm surprised it hasn't run off the pulleys. Problem now is that I can't loosen the hex bolt to tighten it up. It's too tight for my arthritic old hands so I need to try a breaker bar when I get back to it. Don't really want to use WD40 so close to the alternator.
timofly
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 08:14 AM) *

It all seems to be in place but the belt is very slack. I can't get the hex bolt to loosen to tighten it. It isn't rusted but it sure is tight. Need a bigger hammer....
timofly
QUOTE(timofly @ Nov 23 2015, 10:35 PM) *

Spot on, Elloitt. Teh alternator belt is so loose I'm surprised it hasn't run off the pulleys. Problem now is that I can't loosen the hex bolt to tighten it up. It's too tight for my arthritic old hands so I need to try a breaker bar when I get back to it. Don't really want to use WD40 so close to the alternator.

Fat fingers on that message. Sheesh.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(timofly @ Nov 23 2015, 07:35 PM) *

That's not really a job for WD40. Use some PB Blaster or other kind of penetrating fluid.
timofly
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 24 2015, 12:30 AM) *

QUOTE(timofly @ Nov 23 2015, 07:35 PM) *

That's not really a job for WD40. Use some PB Blaster or other kind of penetrating fluid.

Thanks again. I'll get on it when I get back home after Turkeyday. Have a good 'un.
r_towle
Get a set of metric Allen head sockets.
Use a longer socket wrench.

Much easier on the hands.

Alternate method is to put the Allen wrench in there and hook the box end of a box ended wrench over the Allen wrench and push against that instead of the little Allen wrench.

Rich
timofly
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2015, 08:26 PM) *

Get a set of metric Allen head sockets.
Use a longer socket wrench.

Much easier on the hands.

Alternate method is to put the Allen wrench in there and hook the box end of a box ended wrench over the Allen wrench and push against that instead of the little Allen wrench.

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for that. I was reluctant to put too much strain on that little bitty Allen wrench.

Tim
r_towle
It's not the wrench that will fail, it's the inside of the Allen head bolt that could round over.

Spray in some pm blaster into the adjuster hole, you can see the bolt form that hole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.