Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting the Targa top?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeDees
I'm brainstorming some ideas for my car and was thinking about painting the top. Has anyone ever done it? and if so, what do you have to do/what kind of paint?
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
turk22
this is what I did

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...70&hl=targa
sb914
It's fiberglass underneath just sand it down, prep and paint.it's Been done numerous times Click to view attachment
JoeDees
So a normal automotive urethane or enamel will work?
mepstein
Used to be popular when everyone modded their cars. Now that stock is back, not so much. Paint gets scratched when you put the top in the trunk. If you think you might like it, you can always get a 2nd top that needs some work and give it a try.
JoeDees
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 21 2015, 09:33 PM) *

Used to be popular when everyone modded their cars. Now that stock is back, not so much. Paint gets scratched when you put the top in the trunk. If you think you might like it, you can always get a 2nd top that needs some work and give it a try.

That's what I was thinking, especially since my conceptions are saying black or white would be cool. It's already black enough, so a cheap one to play with the white is a good idea.
Grelber
I have 2 tops, 1 stock and 1 painted.
Wdunster
If you decide to try to keep it textured I have used the duplicator bed liner aerosol. It doesn't quite have the same texture but it looks really good.
McMark
I refinished one with black gel coat sprayed from a gun. Took awhile to get the texture right, but I think it turned out great.
toon1
Mine is painted, JMHO, it makes the car look better.

I just sanded the top, filled with bondo, sanded some more , primed and paint, good to go
lonewolfe
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 05:23 AM) *

I refinished one with black gel coat sprayed from a gun. Took awhile to get the texture right, but I think it turned out great.

Hey Mark! That top does look great! Was if just regular fiberglass gel coat you used? Also, was it a paint spray gun or one of the schutz guns?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.