Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey McMark, How's That Snow Allergy Doing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DBCooper
I'm curious, from Napa to Grand Rapids is a pretty major change. So how's it working out? Overcome that snow allergy yet?

GeorgeRud
Snow allergies? Us midwesterners have no idea what you could mean! More of this in the mountains would certainly help Mexifornia wash their cars.Click to view attachment
McMark
Yesterday was awesome. Fluffy white stuff fell from the sky and made everything pretty. It's about 22 outside this morning, but once the dog did his business outside I've been in the nice warm shop.

Can't really complain or say that it's affecting anything, aside from a 7.3 diesel takes way too f-ing long to come up to temp. av-943.gif
ConeDodger
I think you can probably get a remote start and come out to a roasty-toasty 7.3... biggrin.gif
cary
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 06:13 AM) *

Yesterday was awesome. Fluffy white stuff fell from the sky and made everything pretty. It's about 22 outside this morning, but once the dog did his business outside I've been in the nice warm shop.

Can't really complain or say that it's affecting anything, aside from a 7.3 diesel takes way too f-ing long to come up to temp. av-943.gif

Did you put an engine heater in it yet ? I can't remember if they come with one stock.
McMark
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 22 2015, 07:51 AM) *

I think you can probably get a remote start and come out to a roasty-toasty 7.3... biggrin.gif

Yup, I just have to be able to set a timer so it will go on 45m before I get up. BTW, my commute to the shop is about 2 minutes.

QUOTE(cary @ Nov 22 2015, 08:31 AM) *

Did you put an engine heater in it yet ? I can't remember if they come with one stock.

Comes with one stock. I need to try that out...
ConeDodger
I'll send you some cross country skis then. You'll love them!
EdwardBlume
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 22 2015, 06:11 AM) *

Snow allergies? Us midwesterners have no idea what you could mean! More of this in the mountains would certainly help Mexifornia wash their cars.

Yeah, that's beautiful. So I'll ask again in February or March, see if things have changed any.

Sedonut
I like the cross country ski idea.

The problem with a 7.3 diesel is you have a big piece of iron and two gallons of oil to warm up. If you don't get it up to a high enough temperature to burn off the condensation you get more moisture in the system and the related problems.

You can see my 7.3 dually in the background, they are great engines.

For short runs I like this.

Click to view attachment

I don't know if these are legal in Michigan, Arizona licenses them as a quad. No warm up problems, 4x4 and 696cc.
whitetwinturbo
Going to reach 80 degrees today in SoCal ..... we need a bit of that pictured white stuff blink.gif
Elliot Cannon
Wait till that pretty fluffy white stuff turns to brown slush. sad.gif http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sonoma-ca...forecast/337254
Blue6
Damn Mark, that's cold. Do you put snow tires on the teener? Targa top off or on? biggrin.gif
Just working on my 70. It's a miserable 82 today....
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 22 2015, 01:38 PM) *

Wait till that pretty fluffy white stuff turns to brown slush. sad.gif http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sonoma-ca...forecast/337254

agree.gif January thaw. sad.gif And later I remember seeing snow flakes the size of silver dollars late March in MN. BTW, Saab's warm up quickly.
mgp4591
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Yup, I just have to be able to set a timer so it will go on 45m before I get up. BTW, my commute to the shop is about 2 minutes.

I'm sure you had a good reason for moving- I moved from Santa Rosa to SLC Utah a number of years ago but if it wasn't for family I'd never do it. I love the coast as I'm sure you did. Here's to success in Freezeyerassoffland! aktion035.gif
mepstein
Only 6 more months till spring in the mid west
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2015, 04:11 PM) *

Only 6 more months till spring in the mid west

Not where Mark lives. That day usually occurs toward the end of July. stirthepot.gif
worn
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 09:31 AM) *

I don't think you need to plug that in till it gets below zero, which of course it will. Welcome to flyover land.
montoya 73 2.0
I used to plug my block heater into one of those Thermo cubes you can buy at any place that carries roof gutter supplies. It worked good for me!

Click to view attachment
JamesM
On the plus side, you now have plenty of opportunity to really dial in Megsquirt warm up curves.
JRust
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2015, 09:31 AM) *

Yep plug that sucker in. Definitely will start easier & get warmer quicker. I never had to use that much in Oregon but about a month during winter
r_towle
You need a block heater, no question.
Also read up on fuel additives to keep you running and dry for winter.
If it gets bad, there are fuel line and tank heaters also, standard Alaska options, so ask the dealer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.