Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Issue-Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
I'm sure something like this has been talked about before, but need some advice.

I'm in the break-in process of my new 2250 engine; I have about 500 miles on it. On a cold start, (CA weather) I have approximately 55lbs of oil pressure at idle. Once the engine is warmed up and at freeway speeds (3200rpm) the oil pressure drops to about 25lbs. Exit the freeway and idle, 10-15lbs. Is this normal? Sorry I am used to the V8 world when it comes to oil pressure in an engine and this seems odd. Keep reading.

That is one issue I am experiencing. The next issue has me worried.

I have noticed that when I am making a left turn, I can watch the oil pressure drop to below 10lbs and the idiot light comes on. On a right turn, there is no change in pressure. Where this is exceptionally worrisome is on a long sweeping left turn like a freeway ramp exchange, the low pressure condition can last for 5-10 seconds while I make the freeway transition.

I know the motor was built with a high volume pump and am wondering if the motor is pumping itself dry, for lack of a better description. Where should I start to look on this? Are there baffles in the oil pan? Does it need a deep sump pan?

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated!
TheCabinetmaker
They were indeed, born with baffles in the bottom of the case. Some folks use a "tuna can" in place of the sump screen. And some run a half pint over full. I seem to remember that ten pounds per thousand rpms is ok.
era vulgaris
Your oil pressure is fine. My 2270 is about 60psi cold idle, and 15-20psi hot idle. The important thing is that pressure goes up when the engine is under load. As mentioned, roughly 10psi per 1,000rpm is healthy.
914Bryan
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 22 2015, 08:51 AM) *

Your oil pressure is fine. My 2270 is about 60psi cold idle, and 15-20psi hot idle. The important thing is that pressure goes up when the engine is under load. As mentioned, roughly 10psi per 1,000rpm is healthy.

Thanks for the info.. What about the loosing pressure during a left turn? Do you experience that?
era vulgaris
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Nov 22 2015, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 22 2015, 08:51 AM) *

Thanks for the info.. What about the loosing pressure during a left turn? Do you experience that?

Can't say that I have. Is your oil level low?
r_towle
Could be the builder removed the wind age tray which attempts to prevent that oil issue in turns.

Best thing to do is get the tuna can sump, or even the larger sump, cannot recall who does that....

10 PSi at idle is normal.
914Bryan
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 22 2015, 08:50 PM) *

Could be the builder removed the wind age tray which attempts to prevent that oil issue in turns.

Best thing to do is get the tuna can sump, or even the larger sump, cannot recall who does that....

10 PSi at idle is normal.

I will check with the builder about the windage tray. Any idea who offers the tuna can sump? I checked Pelican and they only offer a large attachable sump.
stugray
Search for "Weltmeister Oil Trap"

http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL-...29%2C%20Each%20

Funny that a search on the PP site could not find it, but a google search did.

I wonder how much business is lost by having a POS search engine running your site.
MrLeeS
A guy on the samba makes them. I've put a couple of these on clients cars. The fit and finish is excellent, you retain your pick up screen, and the ones I installed never leaked a drop.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=978326
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.