Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saratoga Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
Hi does anyone know if someone makes a Saratoga Top for a 914? Any information that anyone knows is welcome. Thanks
-Chris
gfulcher
The last Saratoga top I saw for sale was about 2 years ago - on eBay if memory serves me right (which it probably doesn't).. Anyhow, I also recall is selling for upwards of 600 clams..

Very cool, but it seems like an expensive way to bake oneself... Brings the greenhouse effect to a new level!

cheers,

-greg-
Nor.Cal.914
haha well I would love to buy one, but $600 is hella money. Oh well someday I'll look into one and buy it. Anyone know of some website or something I could go to, to check out a price or somethin? Thanks
-Chris
neo914-6
Out of production and used ones are priced out of this world. They fetch $500 to over $1000 because they are rare and sought after. Get in line and act quick when you find one. laugh.gif
db9146
I've got one that I bought years ago. Some guy had it on a really rusty '75 and advertised the car with two tops. When I called on the car, he said that one was "see-thru" which is what I was hoping for. When I got down there, I had to buy the whole car....he wouldn't sell just the top because he was affraid that if he did, he could never get anyone to buy the rest of the car.

I've polished it and put it away for use on my car at some point.....I think.

The tops are about 1/4 inch thick bronze smoked plexiglass. They have only the basic shape of the top....they are not as formed as the original.
Nor.Cal.914
And I'm guessing you wouldn't be willing to sell it? biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
Very cool, but it seems like an expensive way to bake oneself... Brings the greenhouse effect to a new

See thats the misconception of the Saratoga tops.

They are great for those chilly cold drives ...night or day...like during the fall and early spring even here on the west coast. They are not respected for weathertightness so stay out of the rain with one installed.

I have had mine on all winter, but I would'nt use it in the summer....

It would better be called a 'winter top' or something.... cool.gif
Nor.Cal.914
So they aren't good for driving with in the summer?
-Chris
JeffBowlsby
Summer conditions create a greenhouse...so why would anyone want to broil? Just stow the top on the rear trunk and enjoy the open sky during the summer...thats the benefit of Targa tops right?

Oh and $600 would be a bargain...they usually go for double and even triple that for excellent condition examples.
Mueller
QUOTE (NeunXIV @ Mar 12 2005, 02:20 PM)
So they aren't good for driving with in the summer?
-Chris

....they do not offer much protection from direct sun on a hot day, if they had a reflective coating like sunglasses they might be okay in direct sun on a hot day....

do you have a clear/tinted sunroof in your regular car? I do, and I know when the sun is right above me on a hot day, I end up pulling the shade so that I am not baking in the sun....
anthony
Just get a second top and add a sunroof too it. Voila, you have your own CSOAB Saratoga top. A long time ago I saw a guy on the Pelican site who did this. He even made his own sunroof with plexiglass and aluminum. It looked great.

GWN7
I think a CF one would look cool....
Mueller
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Mar 12 2005, 02:35 PM)
I think a CF one would look cool....

agree.gif ....I'm going to need one to finish off "vanilla rice" smile.gif
Nor.Cal.914
I really want to buy a Saratoga Top, but nobody has one for sale. Anyone know of a site that I can go to, to look at prices or anything? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris
anthony
No, there is no site to look at prices. I don't think a Saratoga top has been made in 20+ years.
Nor.Cal.914
Why did they stop making these things?
balljoint
Saratoga thread

Do a search here. There have been a number of mentions of these tops in the last 6 months.
jd74914
QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 12 2005, 01:33 PM)
Just get a second top and add a sunroof too it. Voila, you have your own CSOAB Saratoga top. A long time ago I saw a guy on the Pelican site who did this. He even made his own sunroof with plexiglass and aluminum. It looked great.

I got one like that with my car. Its sweet, but its going to be a winter top. I bought an uncut one to use for normal sumer driving. (the normal one s also alot lighter).
GWN7
There was another thread about these a few months ago....if I remember someone contacted the original manufacture and was quoted 2k to make a new one. All the orginal molds were destroyed. As to why they stopped making them, no demand.

That was the thread I was thinking about (balljoints post)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.