Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake caliper grease, caliper lube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I see there is caliper grease and caliper lube. What's the difference and the application? just the caliper pins? Lube or grease for the pistons themselves? I know that some just use brake fluid for lube on assembly - just trying to figure out what the different applications are.

To be honest I rebuilt a set of front calipers and reassembled and slathered up the pistons with caliper lube (or maybe grease, I dunno a permatex ketchup pack of stuff) - and wonder if I need to take it back apart and re-do what I did....
Brad Roberts
99% of the caliper lube I have seen is for aluminum calipers with steel pistons (Brembo sells caliper rebuild lube) I would'nt worry about it on steel/steel setups. I assemble them with brake fluid on the seals... and go on my way. I honestly believe it is more of an issue with 4 piston aluminum calipers than it is with steel 2 piston calipers.

B
rick 918-S
I use a paste stuff, silicon grease, looks like vasoline. I don't know if it does any good but I don't think it will hurt.
davep
For many years I have used VW brake assembly lube. I think it is NLA now. It is great for assembling calipers that may not be put into service right away. YRMV
Eric_Shea
No need to take them apart. You should be fine. It's helpful stuff when you need to get the pistons past the new cylinder seals. It's a synthetic so it won't hurt the seal. It's also a fluid (in a sense) so it won't compress and will be innocuous and invisible in the system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.