Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blew a rear crank seal today.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
Went turkey and fixins shopping today. Got home and noticed oil burning smell. Washed and polished the new paint and noticed a puddle of oil underneath. Oil dripping out the flywheel inspection hole. Half a pint maybe. Not a big deal, but it is my daily driver. I have a running 1.8 with dual 34s in a wrecked car. Plan is to remove 1.8, remove carbs, install a freshly painted set of 1.7 tins, plenum, and runners, move my fi items, minus ecu and mps, and install in my car. I'll have three days, and Brian, my right hand. I think we can do it. Won't be able to get started till Friday. Has to be done by next Monday. Can I do it?

Btw, it's a 2056, raby 9550 cam, with 70 plus thousand. It's definitely time for a refresh.
rick 918-S
Sux, Just a thought could it be a oil galley plug coming loose?
TheCabinetmaker
Drilled, tapped, and plugged.
rjames
The hardest part is balancing the transmission on the jack as you slide it out. That and navigating the CVs without knocking the balls out of the cages. You can complete the whole job in an afternoon if you've done it before.
If need be, Pelican's step by step guide on removing the tranny, which is included in their clutch replacement tech article, has all the info you need.

Get new schnorr washers for the CVs as I don't think they are reusable.
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Robert. I'm an old veteran at removing engines. I'll rebuild my engine later. Just doing a swap for now.
stugray
There's also the option that you slide off the tranny backwards, pull the FW and replace the seal.
Almost less work than dropping an engine, but barely...
I would probably only do it with the FW hold tool for torqueing.

But if youre just swapping the engine, I guess you can have the new one ready to go in before the old comes out.
That's a bonus! (no surprise "while I'm in here" moments)
stugray
Oh, and the title reminded me of:

This penguin is driving his car along, and the car starts smoking so he pulls it into a garage.
The mechanic agrees to look at it, so while he waits the penguin goes across the street to 7-11.
He gets some ice cream and eats it while he waits but he gets it all over his face (penguins don't have hands...)
He gets back to the garage and the mechanic says:
"Well it looks like you just blew a seal"
Penguin says:
"Naw that's just a little ice cream"
TheCabinetmaker
That's the plan Stu. I have nothing else to drive just now. Truck is down too.

Unfortunately, I know what I'm gonna find. The rear main thrust bearing is worn down from the flywheel. I can hear the crank walking.
TheCabinetmaker
Lmao! That's funny stuff stu. Thanks. I needed a good laugh.
porschetub
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 23 2015, 02:51 PM) *

That's the plan Stu. I have nothing else to drive just now. Truck is down too.

Unfortunately, I know what I'm gonna find. The rear main thrust bearing is worn down from the flywheel. I can hear the crank walking.

Bugger that's no good,can you remember what the RMS was ,on Pelican the Victor Reinz seals have been giving grief,I replaced mine for a genuine Porsche one,the VR one didn't fit as well as the genuine replacement ,this is on a -6 just asking.....?

TheCabinetmaker
I've been using the black sabo seals with good results for the last few years, but this one is a vr. It's been about 5 years since I built the engine.
r_towle
Yes it is possible, I one day if you have the painted tin ready to go.

Remove the carbs now, get them soaking for a late night clean up and rebuild.

Remove as many screws as you can between now and Friday night, there are quite a few you can reach from the engine bay...

Order up a set of new cheese head screws, you will be happy.
Stuff them into a piece of foam and paint them the same color as the new tin.

Rich
Kansas 914
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 22 2015, 06:49 PM) *

This penguin is driving his car along, and the car starts smoking so he pulls it into a garage.
The mechanic agrees to look at it, so while he waits the penguin goes across the street to 7-11.
He gets some ice cream and eats it while he waits but he gets it all over his face (penguins don't have hands...)
Penguin says:

lol-2.gif
euro911
Blew a seal, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSi-yCV-gQ4

poke.gif
Tom_T
Good luck ole buddy & have a good break for some turkey & fixins! chowtime.gif

And Stu, I thought the Penguin was on the telly!? confused24.gif ... good one! biggrin.gif

Happy Turkey Day! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
hndyhrr
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 22 2015, 05:49 PM) *

Penguin says:

lol-2.gif
JeffBowlsby
If'n it were me, I would just pull the tranny and replace the seal, out the tranny back in, unless you wanted to pull the engine anyways in prep from the rebuild.
stugray
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 23 2015, 10:12 AM) *

And Stu, I thought the Penguin was on the telly!? confused24.gif ... good one! biggrin.gif

No Nooo.... what's the program on the telly...
Eric_Shea
IPB Image
rjames
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 23 2015, 09:55 AM) *

If'n it were me, I would just pull the tranny and replace the seal, out the tranny back in, unless you wanted to pull the engine anyways in prep from the rebuild.

agree.gif And then my post above applies.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 23 2015, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 23 2015, 09:55 AM) *

agree.gif And then my post above applies.

You must have missed the part about the rear main thrust bearing being damaged. It needs to be replaced. The crank is walking, and eating the rear of the bearing where the 3 end play shims reside. I've seen it before. I can hear the crank moving fore and aft.
euro911
sad.gif ... dry.gif
rgalla9146
Did I miss the part about what engine it is ?
4 or 6 cyl ?
Any chance you have blocked crankcase ventilation ?
IF a 4 cyl., your crank end play is so great that the seal is being pushed out of the case ? !!!
With the seal out you can re-set the end play no ?
r_towle
Why do you think this happened?
Bearing failure?
colingreene
Possible the shim stack might not have been right?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(colingreene @ Nov 24 2015, 01:36 PM) *

Possible the shim stack might not have been right?

That is the possibility I'm suspecting most.
r_towle
Did you build the motor?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2015, 08:08 PM) *

Did you build the motor?

Yes, I did.
r_towle
chair.gif headbang.gif poke.gif slap.gif
TheCabinetmaker
bootyshake.gif splat.gif splat.gif alfred.gif jerkit.gif yellowsleep[1].gif wink.gif
r_towle
Soooo

Did you get it done?
TheCabinetmaker
Sure rich. I removed the drive train, split the case, replaced the mains, put it back together, and the car is on the road.

For my next miracle I'm gonna walk on water.

finger.gif
euro911
laugh.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 1 2015, 03:46 AM) *

Sure rich. I removed the drive train, split the case, replaced the mains, put it back together, and the car is on the road.

For my next miracle I'm gonna walk on water.

finger.gif

You asked if you could swap it to the 1.8 in a weekend.
That was the question.

Just asking if you pulled it off.

As for your wise ass comment, a four day weekend, it could have been done...all of it biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I already figured out that was what you meant rich. I guess I can be a little slow sometimes. I actually got my truck running and legal so it became not so important. The car is setting in my shop till work load says I have time.
Spoke
I just went from 1.8L with FI to 2056 with carbs. Love the additional power. I couldn't imagine the letdown going from 2056 back to a 1.8L. sad.gif
r_towle
Oh no....put it on Jack stands to give it a proper resting place till you "get to it" like the rest of us.
TheCabinetmaker
Up date. I've been driving the old truck while redoing the engine. Actually had all the necessary gaskets, and bearings on the shelf. Only had to purchase new Hastings rings. It was indeed the end play set incorrectly. Destroyed the trust bearing, and the #3 main was also showing some wear. Got to it just in time. Had crank and cam polished, and heads refreshed. Engine has been ready for a month, but just had no time. Customers waiting on their new kitchens. Yesterday was the day! Rolled the engine under the car 2:30 yesterday and fired it up at 4:30. Then drive it home at 8:00.

IPB Image
CatDaddy60
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 9 2016, 05:14 AM) *

Up date. I've been driving the old truck while redoing the engine. Actually had all the necessary gaskets, and bearings on the shelf. Only had to purchase new Hastings rings. It was indeed the end play set incorrectly. Destroyed the trust bearing, and the #3 main was also showing some wear. Got to it just in time. Had crank and cam polished, and heads refreshed. Engine has been ready for a month, but just had no time. Customers waiting on their new kitchens. Yesterday was the day! Rolled the engine under the car 2:30 yesterday and fired it up at 4:30. Then drive it home at 8:00.

IPB Image

Way to go! My first car a 68 bug was purchased with serious end play, I feel your pain, good job catching it when you did mine cost a set of cases and more than a few "told you so's" from my Dad. That was a few cars and years ago but we laugh about it now.
rhodyguy
Super! But you make the rest of of us slackers look worse than we already are. Nice collection of saw horses. I used to have a set made from 2x6s that was 6' tall.
brant
Awesome
Kansas 914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 9 2016, 06:14 AM) *

Yesterday was the day! Rolled the engine under the car 2:30 yesterday and fired it up at 4:30. Then drive it home at 8:00.

Well done! aktion035.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I spent 4 hrs setting the end play this time. Then had 2 other sets of eyes on it too. I'm confident it's right!
914work
Perhaps I missed the detail of the issue.
Was the the EP stack insufficient or too tight?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.