Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help identifying a new one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bmallett
Can someone help me identify the specs on a 74 I picked up please?

The VIN matches on the dash bar, passenger headlight assembly, door plate, and front trunk.

VIN : 4742906502

I rubbed some grease/oil off of the oil filler base and pulled the engine number.

Engine : GA011575

The engine number doesn't fall in range from what I found. Is there some way besides sending off for a COA to get the original package details?

Thanks!
Tom_T
Brian, AFAIK the only way to match the numbers on a particular 914 is with a COA, or if you can get to a PCNA booth or tech session where they have the computers set-up to do look-ups for you (i.e.: no COA printout).

Sometimes, if you call PCNA's COA 800# & tell them you're looking at buying a 914 & want to confirm it is a factory 2.0 & give them the VIN, engine & that blue ink # (see below), they may confirm over the phone, if you say you'd get the COA if/when you buy it later.

It looks to be about the 1st 1/4 or 1/3 of 74 production but the GA # towards the end (they went to GC in 75>), & the blue 022 paint number may indicate a factory exchange engine - possibly still done in the 74 MY - so a COA may also have that. Try to get the entire blue inked number too to have as a reference for that reason.

I think PCA members still get a $20 discount on COAs, & it's worth having if this car will be a nice resto, as opposed to aDD or parts car.

Curt/cabinetmaker over in Tulsey Town on here may also know a bit more about the exchange engines, but he has to do an engine swap on his DD 914 by Monday, so wait till next week to PM or email him about it.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dlkawashima
As Tom says, you can't be 100% certain without the COA, and even the COA has been proven to be suspect, but that looks very much like an original engine. The blue 022 stamp is original to factory installed engines.

1974 2-liter engine range: GA006766-GA015021

bmallett
Tom,

Thanks for the info. The entire Blue No. is : 022 010F
bmallett
Dave,

Thanks for your info too. Is there any way to find out what the original paint code was from the VIN? (Or any other plates...) I know it was a blue (repainted white pearl), but not sure which. Looks o possibly be L96B. I pulled a lens off to see.
rjames
Door jam sticker should have the paint code. Code chart can be found here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors
bmallett
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 23 2015, 02:36 PM) *

I didn't see it on there...Click to view attachment
bmallett
QUOTE(bmallett @ Nov 23 2015, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 23 2015, 02:36 PM) *

I didn't see it on there...Click to view attachment

Woops... Wrong plate...lolClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.