Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Shock question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RohJay
I am hoping to replace existing Koni rear shocks with Boge (part no. 32-054-5).

When comparing side by side, they seem very different.

Click to view attachment

Koni is longer, and has spring perch located higher .

Click to view attachment

Also the existing springs a taller than the new 100lb springs I bought from Pelican.

Click to view attachment

I fear the new (Boge) shocks and springs will drastically lower the rear.

I am now doubtful if I have the correct replacment parts.

Appreciate if anyone can shed some light.
RohJay
I should add that I am not able to fit the new shocks and springs presently, as i do not yet have the Lower spring perch for the Boge shock.
Dave_Darling
All aftermarket springs that I know of for 914s are shorter than the stock ones. Don't know exactly why that is; possibly because stiffer springs will compress less with the same weight on them. Possibly because the manufacturers figure everyone switching out springs will want to lower their car.

No idea on the shocks, though.

--DD
RohJay
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 24 2015, 09:37 PM) *

All aftermarket springs that I know of for 914s are shorter than the stock ones. Don't know exactly why that is; possibly because stiffer springs will compress less with the same weight on them. Possibly because the manufacturers figure everyone switching out springs will want to lower their car.

No idea on the shocks, though.

--DD

Thanks for your input DD.
That eases my concerns about the springs.
As for the Boge 32-054-5 shocks, they also check out .

My concern was the lower position of the Spring Perch when compared to the Koni.
As I do not have the Boge Spring Perch yet, I was guided solely by the indentation on the shock body.
Having seen pictures of said Perch, I am now more encouraged.

Click to view attachment

Clearly this is shaped in a manner that will elevate the eventual position of the spring along the shock tube.

Well... hoping for the best.
Thanks for taking the time :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.