Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine coatings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I went to the powder/ceramic coater today and we were discussing the internal engine coatings he also offers. That prompted me to do some research on them for future use. I found this article I thought was fairly informative being that I have a few personal engines that would benefit from some extra protection if I ever when I get around to building them unsure.gif

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/12/su...and-treatments/

Jake, Mark, Joe, etc care to offer personal opinions ?
Harpo
I believe that someone in Canada used this technology to recoat some bearings
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 23 2015, 03:10 PM) *

I believe that someone in Canada used this technology to recoat some bearings

Well respected Canadian Mark Henry used some coatings on his six build. He shows the process in his build thread. Made a believer out of me.
Mark Henry
With the QC state of new 911 main bearings I'll take DFL coated good used main bearings over new.

I don't like DFL coatings on everything, I DFL coat the softer of the 2 metals
Ceramic coating are a PITA to process, I often have to recoat a good 25%of my work to get it right.

They work well and a diffidently worth it, but it is often hard to convince the customer they are worth the extra cost. The material itself isn't very expensive but the prep labor is intensive and extremely important for successful coatings.

I'd say most high end engine builders use at least some of these coatings.
r_towle
Scotty, thanks for posting, good read.
Jake Raby
Been using coatings since the late 90s.. You laden that some don't get along very well, and others are miraculous when used correctly.

Coatings are not created equally.

I learned early on to never do the coatings myself. Surface prep is the big factor, as well as the proper application thickness, process time, and post cool time.

My favorite coating is DLC, it can't be used for everything, but it performs miracles.
Beebo Kanelle
has anybody here used WPC Treatment?

http://www.wpctreatment.com/

I'm very curious about it.
veekry9
First used in mil applications,you would have to book an appointment with the specializing company.
An abundance of outfits in the DFW/Houston area,no doubt,be prepared for sticker shock.
Essentially a shotpeening process on a microscale,and very effective in stress relief and reduction of crack propagation risers.
Crankshaft radii and conrod bolt seats are a couple of places that would benefit.Fatigue resistance primarily.
jpnovak
I have been using coatings for about 10 years. They work very well when properly applied. There is a noticable reduction in static friction when rotating a new engine. Break-in time seems reduced as well. The thermal barrier coatings (TBC) reduce engine temperatures and allow you run less timing and leaner mixtures at optimum power.

They are worth the price of admission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.