Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rod Simpson rad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MecGen
Hey people
Anybody have an installed or uninstalled pic.
600$ is a hard pill to swallow but if it is the
smallest/best, oh ya !
I would like some info, or even better, a different
company that does the same cheaper, I don't
believe he handmakes everyone, its farmed out.
He has big claims with this setup, but can't find
pics in his gallery. I really want a small, super
duper cooling system, and if an aluminum rad is
the ticket....just have to put it in the budget.
http://porchev.com/upgrade.html
Hope the link works wacko.gif
Let me know what you think
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
propricer
What type of engine ( short / long stroke ) and how much horsepower ???
What will you be using as fans ???
How large is the inlet and exits ???
BIGKAT_83
The Rod Simpson radiator is a fluidyne. May be wrong but I think it is the one they make for the Pantera. Go to the fluidyne web site and check out the size. If Rod Simpson sells it for $600 with 3 fans that may not be that bad of price. Think Skline has one .

Bob
MecGen
Yup
577$ just rad and
890$ with fans/kit
No shit with taxes and duties its 1200$ CAN.
My motor is a surprise (it changes every day between 2)
I'm checking fluidyne
Thanx
cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
skline
Yup, I got one and it is not $600. I bought it with the fans and the patterns for the shrouding and the hoses and it was just under $1100.00 complete. Had I known what I know now, I would have just bought the Renegade for the same price and not have to make my own shrouding. Here are the pictures you want to see one installed.

Type 4
Finned tubing adds 384 square inches of surface area per foot. That is a lot of heat transfer before and after the radiator.
TJB/914
Hey Joe,

I found an advertizement for a custom radiator company called, Radiator.com out of Benicia, CA. It was in our local paper with a nice write up. They sell to hot rodders & race cars. Prices appeared to be very reasonable & custom made to fit. I believe their phone # was 1-800-radiator. The article said they are a multi million dollar company with 34 warehouses. They have a warehouse in Middleberg to serve the Detroit Area. Sounds like a good one to contact.

Tom
boxstr
Here is one I have waiting to be used. This is the one from RH. You can not ordere these direct from Ron Davis, I tried.
CCLINIHAVEAV8
andys
I bought an AFCO Racing radiator for ~$225. It has a filler neck delete. It's used on the ASA cars. Has bleeder and bung for E-fan thermostatic switch. Tipped it forward a little to fit, and made my own mounts, shrouds and E-fan mounts.

Andy
type47fan
I checked many installations before I decided on the RH product. I bought mine in July 2004 for $900. Included installed fans, temp switch, relays, and shrouding. I rode in Scott's 500 hp 914 in Las Vegas' summer heat . . . made a believer outa me! You pay your money and take your chances. . . .
scotty914
why not take the measurements of the availible space, go to a radiator shop and flip through the book till you find one that fits, and is from a v8 vehicle. you would be amazed at all of the stock radiators that are out there. when i looked at the book i saw a radiator for an old dodge truck that came with a 360, it measured 26 inches buy 18 inches, was a double pass and they said it was 150 bucks.
boxstr
The achilles heel of the V8 conversion is not only the trans, but the proper radiator. It has been dragged out here more than once that installing the correct type of radiator(read expensive) and getting all of the air out of the cooling system is imparetive to a cool running 914-8.
CCLINRATROD
neo914-6
Make a project out of it or buy the RH but don't count the dollars saved because it will cost you more in the long run... laugh.gif
nine14cats
A question for the V8 guys?

I'm looking at either doing a Renegade or Desert Hybrids conversion (although I get a kick out of talking with Rod Simpson on the phone!) and I like Rod's information on his 283/302 V8's with his RSH-2 camshafts.

How has the customer service and help been from these two companies?

I'd like to stick with a main source of the conversion parts....

Thanks in advance!

Bill P.
skline
I cant vouch for the CS of any of them, I can say, I have only bought small parts from all 3 vendors but have only spoke to RS and RH. They are all very knowlegable about the conversions. I have an RSH-2 camshaft in my car and the RSH radiator. The burp tank I got from RH and the adapter plate and lots of CS from them. DH I got the engine mount bar. The rest were all parts I got from other people but are all RH. There are great parts available from any one vendor but I wanted a certain combo and had to get it from different vendors.
MecGen
Hi Guys
Wow thanxs for the pics...I get soo much of a better idea
Skyline you have a copy of the instructions for the Rod
install? maybe pm me with it ?
Type47fan - that is a sweet set up, any complaints ?
Thanx for the imput
cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif

Type 4
Here is somthing to think about:

Lets face it the goal of any radiator is to transfer excess heat from the engine right? The amount of heat a radiator can remove is related to three things, the efficiency, the surface area, and the temperature delta of the mediums. Lets consider the efficiency of the radiator first.

Copper will transfer 384 watts/meter-degree centigrade (w/m-°C) while aluminum only transfers 155 w/m-°C. Therefore copper is nearly two and half times more efficient at transferring heat than aluminum. In fact only silver is a better conductor of heat. But considering the weight and cost, a silver radiator is probably not a good idea. But isn’t copper is heavier than aluminum?

Granted the density of copper is 3.3 times that of aluminum so your might think that the copper radiator would weight 3.3 times as much but it doesn’t. Copper is 2.8 times stronger than aluminum as well so the copper doesn’t have to be as thick. So a copper radiator will only be slightly heavier than the same size aluminum radiator. However since copper is 2.5 times more efficient than aluminum its surface area can be 2.5 times smaller to transfer the same amount of heat! So a correctly sized copper radiator could actually be lighter than the aluminum radiator it replaces.

http://www.ozsuperkart.net/TechArticles/radiators.htm

MORE info here

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=61247
http://www.adtherm.com/
MecGen
Hey t4
Why do I think you would fit in in one of my group of friends. We talk like shit like that for hours, over a couple beers.
C = Industrial Painter / Marine Maintenance
G = Power engineer - only person I know that can fabricate a turbo system, without openning a book.
J = Aviation Engineer, smartest person I know, in everything.
Joe(me) = uneducated,broke, 914 owner, drink to much beer, swear to much...But I have the Garage !!!!
I get a free pass, but kinda off topic....what where we talking about ? screwy.gif
Sorry for the ramble(my thred) when I think of modifying anything, my 914 + memory of good times + good friends, just pop up.
Anyway I am way too familiar with the troubles of tunning a cooling system. My freind stuffed a 454 big block @ 500hp in a 76 Blazer, he went the whole cooling route, electric waterpump, big hoses, aluminum rad, the whole shit. The truck always ran hot, we though it was from the 10.5 compression, long story short....
the water pump was pushing coolant to much too fast, blowing it through the rad bfore it had time to transfer the heat.
This makes me look hard and long at a "proven" system,
I don't want problems...hence my choice of motors
ssshhhh secret... welder.gif
I started this thred in case after a buy a kit, someone says here "why didn't you buy from Mr.xxx same part# half price" DDuuuhhh, these type of things happen to me all the time.
Thanx for sharing
More people want to jump in... boldblue.gif
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
MecGen
Hey Sammy
Thanx..finally a tested RS rad. I like the idea about,hiding the rad hose, but I always thought it would be a tuff fitt, without kinks.
If you can be so kind O Greatest One (ass kissins) bootyshake.gif
And get me a part # for that rad....please. It would be so much easier for me, that most important...second, O Greatest One, how about some pics, realy like to see the front bumper and the rad install, that would rock. aktion035.gif
Thanx
cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
MecGen
Wait....another question for you guys
What size inlets and outlets do you have on the
rad side? I know 1 inch pipe seems to be the favorite,
but the aluminum rads I've seen all have 1.5 inch and 1.75 inch.
Do you guys use reducers ? what about askining them for a modification?
What cha think
cheers

ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.