Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more distuction pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I laeft the house this morning to drop of a load of scrap metal and pic up some new stuff for some jobs. On the way home I hear this gnarly growl coming from the drivers front. Pull over sounds goes away. Get back up to speed (65) sounds gone, 2 miles later it's BACK and worse. Get off at the next exit, as I am approaching the intersection I find that I have NO, ZIP, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH, brakes ohmy.gif Drop the truck into neutral, swing wide and coast to a stop.Look around,look under and find........nothing confused24.gif Put it in drive and coast up the road to a school, stopping via e-brake. Call AAA,cal my dad to bring his truck for the trailer and check the brake resevior........FULL?? Then I notice my pass wheel isn't straight,must be the damn wheel bearing! But out of the blue?? Got home rain starts two hours later I pull the wheel off and find over an inch of lateral play in the wheel?? Took 2 hours to get the wheel off because of an exploded Warn hub headbang.gif Inside of hub "now with metal chips"MMmmm MMmmmm good!
scotty b
still on the truck
scotty b
The two pieces on the ground are errrr were one of the bearings
TheCabinetmaker
Glad your ok man. Brakes to the floor is scary stuff.

BTW, looks like its time for a new screwdriver. laugh.gif
scotty b
NIIIICE
SirAndy
icon8.gif glad it didn't lock up on you while you were doing 65 ...
scotty b
These are the larger pieces that I found sad.gif the black mass is about 3/4 of the chunks and chips that were in there
scotty b
Last one. The inner teeth are actualy filled up with fused metal. finger.gif Warn. The hubs are only two years old and have maybe 6 months worth of drive time on them sad.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 11 2005, 05:55 PM)
Glad your ok man. Brakes to the floor is scary stuff.

BTW, looks like its time for a new screwdriver. laugh.gif

dry.gif Whatchu talkin bout? Theres plenty of metal left on that screwdriver! biggrin.gif
SpecialK
What caused the brakes to fail? confused24.gif Blow out the slave cylinder on that wheel?

Edit: Okay....disc brakes slap.gif But the other 3 should've done something I would think.
scotty b
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 11 2005, 06:39 PM)
What caused the brakes to fail? confused24.gif Blow out the slave cylinder on that wheel?

Edit: Okay....disc brakes slap.gif But the other 3 should've done something I would think.

I havn't gotten that far yet. It got dark by the time I was done inspecting the hub and spindle. It actually would get a little (very very little) pressure if I pumped it. Right now I'm assuming the two are coincidental, confused24.gif because I can't see how they could be connected. I'm guessing either the master cylinder is bad or something has obstructed the inlet side of the proportioning valve.I used to plow snow with this thing and it has caught HELL between that and towing. I'm going to replace the whole braking system... I think sad.gif
Mike9142.0
When the bearings failed the brake rotor tilted and pushed the piston in to the calliper.
When you pushed on the brakes it tryed to take up that extra space and went to the floor.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mike9142.0 @ Mar 11 2005, 08:54 PM)
When the bearings failed the brake rotor tilted and pushed the piston in to the calliper.
When you pushed on the brakes it tryed to take up that extra space and went to the floor.

agree.gif

or

your caliper blew up when the rotor hit it. overheated, blew out the seals and drained all the brake fluid.

i had that happen to the 914 once. not fun ...
icon8.gif Andy
Tom Perso
Huh - Must be bad truck wheel bearing week...

I just had to replace both of my front wheel bearing hubs. Easy to do, just not light on the pocket... $130 each.

Oh - and the CV's that were attached to them. What a PIA.

2000 Dodge Dakota, 69,500 miles. Nice.

Later,
Tom
scotty b
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 11 2005, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (Mike9142.0 @ Mar 11 2005, 08:54 PM)

agree.gif

or

your caliper blew up when the rotor hit it. overheated, blew out the seals and drained all the brake fluid.

i had that happen to the 914 once. not fun ...
icon8.gif Andy

dry.gif Wrongo, reread my original post, I lost NO brake fluid and my rears went out also. I also checked all lines front to back and none are cracked busted or leaking.I could understand if only the fronts went, but the rears being on a seperate circuit indicates something wrong between the master cylinder and the prop. valve. I'm going to fix the wheel first and then attack the brakes. I also had a revelation last night on the reason for the hub/bearing issue. I think the c.v. joint in the axle (2piece, full floater) was wearing causing the outer axle to run around,thus eating the hub and bearing simutaniously confused24.gif Thoughts on that?
scotty b
Just for anyone interested (curious) Autopsy #1 is complete and the culprit for the hub explosion was the universal joint in the axle. (inside the steering knuckle) I had thought it was worn and wqas running wide...quite the opposite. One side had actually frozen so it was only moving in one direction instead of circular thus eating away at the bearing and hub. Sorry Warn for blaming you sad.gif Part 2 of the autopsy will be perfomed on the braking system once the axle is fixed.(spindle,hub,outer axle, bearings)

Oh and the 924's price has been reduced for quick sale smile.gif No connection though unsure.gif
jwalters
ohmy.gif Dude--sorry to read about your day---glad you are still in one piece!

Man I can tell you that I have owned some real pieces of crap cars in my life ( read: Domestic ) but even on them my braking system always got a complete overhaul--don't care if it will only do 60--as long as it stops I am happy.

Were you plowing when it happened???

This is really good stuff because I went out to the skunk works and gave my steering universals a once over--guess what--the one connected to the wheel is locking up and when I pivot it around it ratchets like a ratchet----THAT is one universal I would hate to see let go when I am shittin and gettin it around an off ramp--( we don't have curves in SoFl....so I have to pick certain on and off ramps to exploit Black Sabbath's prowess.. sad.gif )
scotty b
Nah ,I quit the plowing gig 3 years ago when I realized I was spending more in repairs to the truck than I was making with it! You can make a shitload of $ quick, and burn it up in parts even quicker. headbang.gif I did get my tranny done and paid for the diffs, so I guess there was some good in it.Plus running for 36 hours straight isn't for me wacko.gif
jwalters
Think about the Steve Fosset fella---he did what? 79 hours straight???? oh my freeking head!@! Screw that--

In the navy while over in the med we did an exercise called ******-********* ( I could tell ya, but would have to kill ya )--just a plain vanilla training evolution--but it lasted for 9 days straight w/o stopping-- wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.