Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New ATE Classic M Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I bit the bullet and ordered some new M calipers for the car. Got the calipers in two days. I opened the boxes and was disappointed in the finish. First off they were in clear zinc not yellow. Second they came pre-rusted and pitting had already started. Calipers were not wrapped in anything in factory box. The pistons in the calipers are iron, not stainless. Probably going to swap the pistons out with the SS ones I have. Calipers are made in Great Britain. You be the judge.
Krieger
Send them back, or at least call them.
rjames
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 24 2015, 09:44 PM) *

Send them back, or at least call them.

agree.gif
That's crap.
blitZ
Send them back and buy from Eric Shea.
scotty b
EVERYTHING in my shop goes to Eric for a reason. I've got 4 complete sets sitting here right now for different cars. I can take more pics if you'd like shades.gif He even does Jaguar calipers !!!

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/9578250.htm
mepstein
Pmb became our - go to - for calipers. We sent him 50 core calipers so we can't be tempted to do it ourselves. Really there's no reason to go less than 100 percent on brakes.
Mikey914
Agreed,

Also, what you bought were not "new" calipers. they appear to be re-manufactured. The good news is you have a decedent set of cores. Send them to Eric you will not regret it.

mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 25 2015, 12:33 PM) *

Agreed,

Also, what you bought were not "new" calipers. they appear to be re-manufactured. The good news is you have a decedent set of cores. Send them to Eric you will not regret it.

He probably paid more than core price. sad.gif
914Sixer
I know all about Eric's work as I have a set of rears to go on the car now. The front ones were trash and not salvageable. I just thought NEW ones would be close to PMB's quality!
Calipers were NEW not rebuilt.
Eric_Shea
We can refinish those Mark.

The problem with those is "very" dirty metal underneath. They were not prepped properly "at all". The zinc is doing it's job. Zinc is a sacrificial coating so it will corrode before the base metal does. What you are seeing with the chicken-pox is the zinc pulling the impurities from the very dirty base metal.

After going to SEMA and speaking with all of the various reps there, I will almost "guarantee" you that those are made in China. Calipers are very difficult to plate properly. They have to be positioned a certain way in the tank etc. Also, the hexavalent chromium used on the outside is totally wrong or non-existent which brings me to one final hypothesis... with the RoHS initiative in Europe, they may be a European product that is using a hexavalent substitute and, what you see is what you get. I think the previous diagnosis is more accurate however, we've seen this here with calipers that weren't prepped properly. It looks more like a base metal issue vs. a dichromate issue. This brings me back to China and a bad plating job. Zinc is the best but, if they can't use it in Germany now because of RoHS, then these are China calipers.

Same problem with the last ones though... they are later model calipers meant for cars with booster circuits (cup style pistons vs. contoured tops). You should really just get some period correct M-Calipers and we can make them work. We got a set in yesterday from some guy in the LA area... says he's into cars. blink.gif

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
I think I have seen that name somewhere? biggrin.gif
Vysoc
Well there you go....Leno goes to PMB.

Eric anything from Seinfeld?

PMB Performance.....the best!

Vysoc flag.gif
mepstein
I can scratch my name in these
Eric_Shea
Schwing!
914Sixer
Both boxes say made in Great Britain. So the plating is Euro spec, but the parts were not cleaned before plating would be my guess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.