Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: TX folks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
so tell me about austin. am a colorado boy raised and brought to MA by a job that i really like. good people to work with and for. my family and i really like it here in MA.

but an old work friend says to come out and talk with her company. much more $ and an even better work environ (by her call). will need to verify the company internals but don't know anything about tx other than what i have seen on business trips in houston and spending 4 years in san antonio in 1966-70.

tell me the low down on the skinny or whatever looks most like the truth....

muchas gracias.....
dakotaewing
Austin is a cool town, especially if you are part of the younger crowd...
It is one of the best areas in Texas as far as being outdoors, with moderate winters and hot summers... Not as hot as San Antonio or as humid as Houston. Better make sure you make goood money, its real estate costs are the highest median in the state - still probably cheaper than MA -
Good luck on the interview -

Thom

cha914
Thom sumed up the town better than I could...give me a ring when you get in town and I can show you whatever you want in Austin ... oh and housing isn't that bad if you are willing to look around a little...

Tony (austin native)

512-567-2291
nebreitling
fun town. i grew up in dallas. in highschool, we always used to go down to austin to party. my god, do i have some stories... ohmy.gif
JB 914
I grew up in Houston.

a few facts i know about Austin.

live music capital of Texas

Migas are much better in Austin than Mass drooley.gif

Most beautiful part of the State IMHO

If i had to choose between Houston, Dallas or Austin.....it's Austin hand's down.
Hawktel
I've never been to Texas, but I think all you need to do is put in Full Metal jacket and see what R. Lee Earny has to say about texas to not want to go there.

DBCooper
QUOTE (Hawktel @ Mar 12 2005, 12:31 AM)
I've never been to Texas, but I think all you need to do is put in Full Metal jacket and see what R. Lee Earny has to say about texas to not want to go there.

Dude, you're in UTAH. blink.gif
Mueller
The BBQ in Austin is over-rated smile.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 12 2005, 12:37 PM)

Dude, you're in CALIFORNIA! blink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Paul Illick @ Mar 12 2005, 01:41 PM)

Use to go to Austin every once in a while for business....actually, the one good BBQ place we went to sold the meat by the oz/pound and served it on butcher paper...they had the best sweet tea beer3.gif

jr91472
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Mar 11 2005, 08:07 PM)
Austin is a cool town, especially if you are part of the younger crowd...
It is one of the best areas in Texas as far as being outdoors, with moderate winters and hot summers... Not as hot as San Antonio or as humid as Houston. Better make sure you make goood money, its real estate costs are the highest median in the state - still probably cheaper than MA -
Good luck on the interview -

Thom

agree.gif

Also, despite being the state capital, Austin is a VERY liberal city in a VERY conservative state. Kind of odd really. So depending which side of the isle you on..........

regardless, lots of fun to be had there especially if you luv music aktion035.gif

scottb
thanks for the info guys.....

i figure that it doesn't hurt to listen so i will go have a conversation with the folks and see what they have to say. will need to hit on every point in order to make me move as we really do like where we are.

tony, i will give you a ring when i get into town. i told them yesterday that i would need to be sent down for 3 days. 1 to go talk with them and the rest of the time to see the area and decide if i like it or not. may be able to sneak in a few beer.gif during my time.

i had to clear the driveway of snow again today! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif and i note that it is 83 in austin mueba.gif mueba.gif

i know i would get to drive my car more....

hmmmmmmmm
JB 914
QUOTE (scottb @ Mar 12 2005, 01:56 PM)

i had to clear the driveway of snow again today! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif and i note that it is 83 in austin mueba.gif mueba.gif

i know i would get to drive my car more....

hmmmmmmmm

and Austin is in the "Hill Country" of texas. lot's of twisty roads and drives. Bluebonnet season would be spectacular!

Good luck with your decision.
jim912928
I used to go to austin alot for several years on business. If you like live music..it's everywhere. Beautiful countryside with lots of curvy roads. Weather is great (although about 4 years ago I did get stuck there for 3 days in an ice storm!). And I used to go to this place I believe called Salt Lick...great bbq (then again..i'm from Indiana so what do I know about bbq).

Good luck!
spare time toys
One more thing NO STATE INCOME TAX A nice extra biggrin.gif
d914
lived there two years:

town lake
6th street
MUSIC
good food
hill country
lake travis
Thousands of coeds walking around town......

Whats not to like
tat2dphreak
grew up outside of austin, you won't need your snowplow... that's for sure, but it is one of the most fun places in the state... so much to do in the area... it's not even funny!! you are about an hour from san antonio(san marcos and new braunsfels on the way is fun too), 3 hours from Dallas or houston

you all are right about Austin being liberal, it is very different from the rest of the state...
it's a lot of fun too!!!

DBCooper
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 12 2005, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Paul Illick @ Mar 12 2005, 01:41 PM)

Use to go to Austin every once in a while for business....actually, the one good BBQ place we went to sold the meat by the oz/pound and served it on butcher paper...they had the best sweet tea beer3.gif

Sounds like Luling City Market. I stop by there regularly for a couple of pounds of brisket on the way back to Houston, I always buy extra because the smell's so good I can never make it all the way back home without getting in to it. And when I go out to visit the kids I try to take a couple of racks of ribs, someting you just can't get in California.

Seriously, your friend may be right. You'll like Austin a lot, especially if you're comparing it with the San Antonio of thirty years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.