Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting heavily modified 914 racer on Craigslist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bretth
Found this on Criagslist. Has some strange engineering in it. Look at the cooling system and pulley and cable sway/suspension(?) system. Assuming it must run on alcohol fuel? No cooling fan.
link

340 hp
10000 redline
14:1 comp
Fuel 118 Oct
Does not have supercharger , does not need it
18500 cash only , I do not have to sell it , I haven't had the time to race it . ( trades ??) Only of like value mopar 68-74 , fastback 65-73, 1930s coupes , tri five / wagons brass cars ,micro exc. I I only have time to show it to somebody who is ready to put it on their trailor and take it home if you like it . if you can not handle speed this car is not for you ! Again I do not have to sell this car so don't low ball tire kickers please don't waste my time . cash only no western union exc will not hold it and will not ship ! Thank you for your time .

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cracker
Yeah right! A 340 hp type 4 motor? I don't believe that is possible AND have it last before approaching the first corner. Is it?

Tony
DBCooper
QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 28 2015, 07:26 AM) *

Yeah right! A 340 hp type 4 motor? I don't believe that is possible AND have it last before approaching the first corner. Is it?

He's pretty emphatic about avoiding bullshit buyers and tire kickers, so I'm sure he'll be happy to demonstrate that for you, to prove he's not a bullshit seller. Right? I mean surely.

Mike Fitton
Sort of an angry for sale ad! Must have been trying to sell it for awhile!
r_towle
Cable thing looks like it would be to keep the wheels from drooping when jacked up, while somewhat farmer in design, it bet it works perfect for that job.

A lot of work went into the car, but quite a bit looks outdated to me.

7-8k maybe, but not 18k

As far as the motor goes, that type of motor need to be rebuilt often, so not really sure how he could make a claim like that without a dyno sheet.
240, I can see that.....340 no.
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 28 2015, 07:46 AM) *

Ya it doesn't sound like a good presentation of a f/ s posting. Maybe he's trying to filter out like he's saying, tire kickers.

I have a few parts that I've been trying to sell and one person sent me a PM low balling me. My response was at that price. I would rather throw it away and get better satisfaction vs selling at that proposed price point.
matthepcat
I never understood people who will not ship a car. If a buyer pays to have a truck pick it up, why not?

It's like people who are "too busy" to post photos.
EdwardBlume
Interesting build. Tough to buy that much art without really validating it all works.....
SirAndy
Where's the fuel tank? And the drivers seat?
confused24.gif
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 28 2015, 10:11 AM) *

I never understood people who will not ship a car. If a buyer pays to have a truck pick it up, why not?

It's like people who are "too busy" to post photos.

agree.gif And there is essentially zero market for that kind of build here in KC.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 28 2015, 12:56 PM) *

confused24.gif

Red arrow points to Fuel tank. This a E-mod SCCA Autocrosss car.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 28 2015, 11:54 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 28 2015, 12:56 PM) *
confused24.gif
Red arrow points to Fuel tank. This a E-mod SCCA Autocrosss car.

I guess that means no road trips ...
biggrin.gif
stugray
I wouldnt give him $1800 for it.

Looks like a HUGE accident waiting to happen.
I would be afraid to drive it on the track.
Looks like it would fall apart.

And why are the intake manifolds tilting inwards?
Seems it would kind of hard to set the float bowl levels and synch the carbs.....
Mueller
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 28 2015, 12:11 PM) *

I wouldnt give him $1800 for it.

Looks like a HUGE accident waiting to happen.
I would be afraid to drive it on the track.
Looks like it would fall apart.

And why are the intake manifolds tilting inwards?
Seems it would kind of hard to set the float bowl levels and synch the carbs.....

Are the cylinder cooling shrouds made from paper mache?

Hopefully someone can get the VIN and add it to the "dead or disposed of" list of 914s.

bretth

Are the cylinder cooling shrouds made from paper mache?

Hopefully someone can get the VIN and add it to the "dead or disposed of" list of 914s.

LOL that sounds just as likely from the strange looks of it. I could not even make a guess after staring at the pic for the longest time. The cooling air intakes seem to originate from no where that can be seen either.

Brett
Chris H.
Pretty friendly guy. No help with shipping, cash only, and HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME TO SELL IT. Sounds like that soup guy on Seinfeld. Just quietly pay the asking price, load it up and GET OUT. Any eye contact and NO 914 FOR YOU.

That gas tank setup is crazy screwy.gif .
whitetwinturbo
..............the seat can be had for extra money (if you are such a wus that you need one) lol-2.gif
URY914
Looks heavy. biggrin.gif

Not sure I agree with the design of the roll cage, front sub-frame and the
cooling for the heads.
jmitro
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 28 2015, 05:02 PM) *

Pretty friendly guy. No help with shipping, cash only, and HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME TO SELL IT. Sounds like that soup guy on Seinfeld. Just quietly pay the asking price, load it up and GET OUT. Any eye contact and NO 914 FOR YOU.

agree.gif
LOL seriously. I mean, I hate people wasting my time just as much as he does, but that's just part of dealing with the GENERAL PUBLIC! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
brant
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 28 2015, 08:10 PM) *

Looks heavy. biggrin.gif

cooling for the heads.

agree.gif
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 28 2015, 10:10 PM) *

Looks heavy. biggrin.gif

cooling for the heads.

I don't agree with anything on this abortion - Kill It with Fire! blowup.gif
LowBridge
did anyone else notice the tech with a max of 9k and the sellers comment about a 10k redline?
ThePaintedMan
...any engine will rev to 10k...... once. biggrin.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 28 2015, 08:46 AM) *

Sounds to me like he is only listing it to appease hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif the wife. hissyfit.gif
Randal

Wonder why he has PAXTON all over the car? blink.gif
stownsen914
I remember seeing pictures of that car from SCCA autox events back in the 90s. Don't recall anything more ththan that about it though.
Kraftwerk
I always like to see race-builds, are those corvette front wheels?.. trying to place them, ugly... Anyway looks like a fun car, needs a seat and a bigger fuel cell tho... that price is probably what it cost to build actually...

Perforated sail panel: unique touch.
URY914
He hacked the shit out of that car but left that heavy windshield in place? He took the weight out of the bottom of the car and left the weight at the top?

Weight should be low as low as possible.
stownsen914
This car definitely has some kooky features, like the guy tried to be innovative but just missed the mark in a few cases. I can't quite get over the pulley mechanism in the rear suspension. Imagine showing up for race tech with a setup like that?
Olympic 914
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Dec 2 2015, 06:41 AM) *

This car definitely has some kooky features, I can't quite get over the pulley mechanism in the rear suspension. Imagine showing up for race tech with a setup like that?

I can't see what would keep that cable on the pulleys. ??
No type of guides or anything.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Dec 2 2015, 03:41 AM) *
I can't quite get over the pulley mechanism in the rear suspension.

My guess would be to prevent the wheels from dropping down too far when the car is jacked up?
confused24.gif

Or maybe a self adjusting sway bar wire?
confused24.gif

campbellcj
Yep it looks like an anti-droop setup to me.

For sure a boatload of time went into this build. You internet critics are over the top sometimes. It's just so massively modified specifically for autocross and has enough "do-overs" that selling could be really tough.
JPIII
It is always interesting to see cars built for the upper classes of SCCA. Backyard engineering in full flower.....I don't see much anymore since I no longer make National Tour events.
The fella looks like he did a pretty good job of stiffening the 914's chassis and if everything else was thrown away, it would be a good place to start.
As such it is overpriced, IMO.
A huge part of selling a race car is it's competition history....nuthin there.
Mueller
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 3 2015, 09:41 PM) *

Yep it looks like an anti-droop setup to me.

For sure a boatload of time went into this build. You internet critics are over the top sometimes. It's just so massively modified specifically for autocross and has enough "do-overs" that selling could be really tough.

I think the ad posters attitude and unsubstantiated claims helped fuel the critics. biggrin.gif
VWTortuga336
agree.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 4 2015, 12:58 PM) *

I think the ad posters attitude and unsubstantiated claims helped fuel the critics. biggrin.gif

Oh for sure, the attitude and the ludicrous power claims for an NA Type 4 do not help his cause...

Lord help me if/when I ever decide to sell mine. Every one of our cars probably has things somebody would balk about and do differently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.