Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SHOCKING experience...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
Pun intended. rolleyes.gif

So I am a through and through PETROL guy and scoff at "green" technology that hardly ever proves to be (hardly ever) fiscally sound. But in this case - I might be a believer.

Thanksgiving day - my brother-in-law brings his new (to him) Tesla Model S - I have to admit I was impressed. I could actually see myself driving something like that for local excursions. Forward thinking concepts that went well past the driveline components.

Another bonus: At 6'5" I was able to fit exceedingly comfortably and its a 7 passenger damn car! Impressive.

PS: That car is respectively fast too...

Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Yah, but at 100k they won't catch on too fast.
Elliot Cannon
More will be built. Battery technology will improve. Prices will go down. All this in spite of opposition by the oil companies both directly and indirectly. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
You're looking at the future. Just another reason I sold my diesel pusher and wouldn't buy any new car with less than 25-30 MPG......
EdwardBlume
There's so many 100K Teslas here in Silly Con Valley that they call it the Silicon Valley Accord.
dlkawashima
agree.gif

They're so common out here no one gives them a second look anymore. I've never driven one myself but they seem to be universally praised for comfort, safety, performance, etc.

The Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell car is another that's getting a lot of attention. But the thought of driving a car with two 10,000 PSI tanks filled with hydrogen is just, well ... scary.
914Mike
The new Volt is much more affordable, and has the advantage of not needing to be charged on long trips. Gas-N-Go... Drive less than 50 miles a day and you won't need gas until you do decide to leave town.

My old one goes all year on 3 gallons of premium, which then has to be used up before it gets stale. beer3.gif That's about 1/2 oz a day, so maybe a shot glass smilie would be more appropriate.

Also, it reminds me of my 914 with it's super low center of gravity. If it had better tires than the LRR POS's it comes with, it could probably handle pretty good. (Not much in the way of after-market parts available for mods though, a few springs and such is about it so far...)

For those that say EV's burn coal and are no cleaner than petrol cars:

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/elect...ue#.Vln4Y15EzSc

Also a little calculator that lets you put your zipcode in and compare to the average in your area:

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/elect...ue#.Vln4bV5EzSc
Tom_T
You do realize that the #1 Porsche was a motor in wheel hub EV! confused24.gif

Also, EVs, Hybrids & Steam were as common in the early car years of the late 1800's & early 1900s, as were gassers.

As with $100k Porsches, BMWs, MBZs, etc. - you buy them used at 3-5 years. With fewer moving parts & less mechanical stuff to wear out or go wrong, the Silicon Accords could end up going 300K+ miles easily with little trouble except changing out batteries, which is a significant expense - but hopefully offset by lower ongoing maintenance costs vs gas/diesel cars, if you bank the $s for that loner term expense.

We have quite a few Teslas down here in SoCal too, & I know an ex-914er from on here, who traded in his Cayman S & MBZ for a Tesla S & Roadster & is 100% EV, & has takes XC trips in his S! driving.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
//////
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Nov 28 2015, 10:33 AM) *

But the thought of driving a car with two 10,000 PSI tanks filled with hydrogen is just, well ... scary.

Dave,

They've proven that the Hindenburg & WWI Dirigibles went up due to the Aluminum infused Dope on the fabric, with the H as a contributing factor.

The Gas in our cars is actually far more flammable, easier to ignite, burns longer & can be more easily explosive in the gaseous form than H.

And the LP tanks on my Westy & our Avion trailer are even worse! blink.gif

PBS Nova had a good program a while back on the Hindenburg & that whole subject.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
era vulgaris
The last few months I've seen Teslas more and more here in Raleigh. I try to avoid being next to them at stoplights alfred.gif
Ansbacher
Actually Tom, WWI dirigibles were practically impossible to bring down until the "incendiary bullet' was invented in mid-war. The new bullets provided the fire spark to ignite the hydrogen/air mixture once a ship was peppered enough. Am teaching a class on this right now.

Ansbacher

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 28 2015, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Nov 28 2015, 10:33 AM) *

But the thought of driving a car with two 10,000 PSI tanks filled with hydrogen is just, well ... scary.

Dave,

They've proven that the Hindenburg & WWI Dirigibles went up due to the Aluminum infused Dope on the fabric, with the H as a contributing factor.

The Gas in our cars is actually far more flammable, easier to ignite, burns longer & can be more easily explosive in the gaseous form than H.

And the LP tanks on my Westy & our Avion trailer are even worse! blink.gif

PBS Nova had a good program a while back on the Hindenburg & that whole subject.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

agree.gif
That's right Tom. Hydrogen may actually be more safe that gasoline.
I wonder a out the impact on us when those batteries have to be recycled or disposed of......
Bulldog9
We've been toying with the Idea, BMW dealers in the area are advertizing a $269 lease on one of these. Earlier this year my wife was test driving a bunch of cars, as her SUbaru is at 200K miles. She was driving the X1 and 3 Series Wagon, and one of these caught my eye. VERY convincing in real life, and ended up test driving one. WOuld be a great commuter and around town car. Wish they sold it as a true hybrid, would be in my driveway right now.... http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3...room/index.html

The Tesla is an amazing vehicle, and love the USA aspect to it, but is super pricey and from what I hear have terrible resale value.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Nov 28 2015, 06:54 PM) *

Actually Tom, WWI dirigibles were practically impossible to bring down until the "incendiary bullet' was invented in mid-war. The new bullets provided the fire spark to ignite the hydrogen/air mixture once a ship was peppered enough. Am teaching a class on this right now.

Ansbacher

Not to push PBS too much, but they do have some informative & interesting shows - one on the WWI Zepplins discussed that in detail, as well as the fact that they had to concentrate their fire to open up enough of a hole to allow for air/oxygen mixing before it would even alight, & then it still was a tough task.

IIRC that show was called "Zeppilin Attack" or something similar.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
In the words of the Monty Python's Flying Circus TV show .... "And now for something completely different.....!!" - but still shocking .... let's make this discussion on-topic with some 914 content.... piratenanner.gif

This guy has a 914-EV which he's brought to a few PCA OC Region events, including our 2015 Concours in Dana Point this past June, & he won in street class for 914! It's a very clean conversion with great TQ/power & decent range at speed.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

first.gif

Cheaper than a Tesla, but not the range.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

johannes
Questions you may ask:
Were does your Electricity come from ? mainy from burning coal.
Were does your H come from ? Mainly from converting gaz and petrol.
marksteinhilber
And he auto crossed it at El Toro. Almost mile long course. Did nicely considering the narrow tire and extra weight. Definitely a well done electric conversion and very cleanly done!
Tom_T
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 29 2015, 10:04 AM) *

Questions you may ask:
Were does your Electricity come from ? mainy from burning coal.
Were does your H come from ? Mainly from converting gaz and petrol.

Actually Johannes, California doesn't allow any coal produced power, & any state or nation could produce clean energy, as well as any owner adding solar &/or micro-wind &/or micro-hydro power for 100% clean energy.

But then we could also go into the cost of producing both the power generating equipment of all types, as well as the cars themselves!

So IMHO I'm saving both energy & resources by not adding to the production costs by keeping my old cars running! biggrin.gif

I've only owned 5 cars since the first in 1969, & still own numbers 3, 4 & 5 - with the latter 2 as our DDs & the #3 914 will be a completed resto eventually, but was my DD 1975-85.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Nov 29 2015, 11:26 AM) *

And he auto crossed it at El Toro. Almost mile long course. Did nicely considering the narrow tire and extra weight. Definitely a well done electric conversion and very cleanly done!

Mark, he & I were talking about that AX adventure a few months back at the Porsches & Doughnuts at Krispey Kreme in Orange.

If you got to check out the EV setup & car - it's one of the cleanest EV conversions I've seen in 914 or anything.

I think he also took it out to the Steve McQueen Boys Republic Charity Car Show in Chino last June, along with a few other EV converted 914/VW Bug/VW Splitty Bus examples out there.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.