Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding an amplifier when using a factory Frankfurt radio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire the amplifier now that I have pulled out the aftermarket '80s radio that the PO had installed.

I located a period correct early '70s Blaupunkt and would like to also run a small amp. I purchased a device off eBay that I am using to route the left and right radio outputs into the RCA input jacks of the amplifier. My question is about the proper way to wire in the "power on" signal to the amp.

If I tie the radio and amp power leads into the correct "accessory" circuit, I guess I will also need to tie the "power on" lead for the amp into the same circuit so that the amp will only come on when the switch is on? This will result in the amp being on anytime the switch is on, no matter if the radio is on or not. I can't think of a way to switch the amp on via the radio since its an older radio without that sort of outbound lead. Any other ideas?

Likewise, I figure I am going to need to install a switch for the power antenna so that it only comes up when I want it to.
tweet
youtube has videos on everything. you can watch as many as you like on amp and radio installs. be careful with the amp they are easy to fry if installed incorrectly. also, never install an amp hanging down, it won't dissipate heat correctly, location is important.
Mark Henry
Unless you are willing to take the radio apart and solder in the amp to the radio switch, I don't think there's anyway around it, you are going to have to wire/mount in a power switch somewhere.
Amps usually turn on via the power antenna lead.
Mount the switch hidden under the dash.

Personally I'd just have the old radio sitting in there for looks and use a Woody's Custom hidden stereo.
Harpo
I sent my radio to a guy in Florida who repaired it and added an ipod connection and RCA outputs for my amp.

david
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 29 2015, 05:03 AM) *

I sent my radio to a guy in Florida who repaired it and added an ipod connection and RCA outputs for my amp.

david

The Radio Doc is in Florida; he did my radio. Thorough work and quick turn around.

radiodoc@bellsouth.net
edwin
I sold car audio for many years and have a few thoughts if I may.
First of all is that adding an amplifier to the existing head unit probably won't be that great for sound quality. If you want better sound then bypass the old headunit.
If you must use the old headunit or any unit for that matter te kicker kx series will do inbuilt high level in, speaker level input. Much better quality than using the seperate converters. Another handy thing is that they have an audio on feature which will only switch on when there is something coming from the source.
Personally I would just ditch the headunit, leave it for looks if you want. Run a phone or iPod directly into the amp. The kicker has a remote volume control which plugs into the amp.
Lots of variables with car audio but I would recommend finding a decent shop local to you and having a chat. Some may have some good ideas
Cheers
Edwin
A&P Mech
I have been looking for a unit that would let me connect via Bluetooth and that could be mounted out of sight. I am not sure if it exists, but that would be perfect.
TheCabinetmaker
Keep searching. It does exist. Try onlinecarstereo.com. lots of deals, and fast service.
edwin
http://www.kicker.com/40PXIBT502
I've installed a bunch of these.
Very nice product
A&P Mech
That is exactly what I was looking for. I also found this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TZOAR6...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I am not sure about the quality but the price is right.
edwin
I have no experience with that Pyle unit. Will probably be ok through some cheap speakers and Bluetooth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.