Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes Fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Hello All

I have a stock 75' with a stock braking system. The brakes feel positive but simple do not stop the car as I would expect (I am told the stock system is quite good). It feel worse then a beetle so I suspect that there is something wrong. I plan on digging into the system but would first like to change the fluid but need recommendations, DOT3 or 4 or any others?

Thanks,
Dan
solex
I just read the post re: "Took a long drive today" and Bryan recommended DOT 4.

Thanks,
Dan
type47
my car does not brake as well as i think it should also. so, i'm going to rebuild the calipers. rebuild kits are cheap, about $12/caliper and it's easy. to check for sticking pistons, you have to remove the caliper anyway so while i'm in there...... (famous last words)

brake fluid i've heard recommended is ATE blue and gold. alternate colors so you can tell when the new fluid is coming thru when you do a brake flush
TimT
I use Valvoline Synpower brake fluid in my track car, it is a synthetic DOT 3/4 fluid, and has impressive specs, dry boiling point 502F, wet boiling point 343F

I used to use ATe Blue/gold, but the Valvoline is less expensive
IronHillRestorations
The ATE stuff is good. The only reason there's gold and blue is so you can alternate colors, and know when new fluid is pused through the system.

I've been using Castrol LMA. It's got the same specs as the ATE, and I can get it locally. It doesn't come in colors though.

The service interval for brake fluid is two years, regardless of mileage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.