Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dye brown seats and interior pieces to black - what to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
suggestions and experiences? thanks, jim
rjames
Seems like it would be easier to sell it and look for a black interior.
Bulldog9
SEP sells rattle can interior dye/paint. Will look great for a while but then peel, and fade and you will regret it.
76-914
Duplicolor Vinyl and Carpet spray. Works great. It amazes me how it works on carpet w/o making it stiff. Be sure the vinyl is clean before spraying. Don't try this if you have recently hit the vinyl with any dressings.
johannes
Buy a upholstery kit. This one is bad shape.
Valy
Don't dye it. Brown interior is rare and replacement unavailable.
It looks to me rhat what ypu have is repairable, the plain brown material can be sourced.
Dyeing will turn out bad and look very cheap. I've seen dyed interiors and you don't want one.
r_towle
Leatherique

Google it, great stuff, works awesome.
Full color change, no issue.
Chris914n6
I'd buy a vinyl kit. You'll end up with nice looking new SOFT seats and panels.
1972 914 2.0
If you do recover the interior, which I would recommend anyway, I might be interested in buying the old brown material off of you.

- Chris
PotterPorsche
Sem vinyl paint
porschetub
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 30 2015, 06:48 AM) *

Duplicolor Vinyl and Carpet spray. Works great. It amazes me how it works on carpet w/o making it stiff. Be sure the vinyl is clean before spraying. Don't try this if you have recently hit the vinyl with any dressings.

X1 on that ,seen good results but only if the surfaces are totally clean otherwise its a waste of time ,many blame the product but good prep will insure lasting results,a seat like those in the 914 will be a little hard to do however.
Those rips/splits could be repaired with a vynil repair kit.

GregAmy
I did exactly that on the door cards, back panel, and center pad (new 914Rubber plaid seat covers). My solution? Brought it to a local auto upholstery shop and let him do his professional magic on it.
xperu
I had similar problems several years ago. My car is sunflower yellow and came with tan interior.
I sprayed it with black vinyl and it looked much better then the tan, and lasted for a couple of years.
I then bought a set of set covers from Iggie made for 914' s. The material and quality is very good. Just another option that will last for years. Mike
dflesburg
sell this one.

you can get backpads cheap,
world upholstery sells seat kits. door panels are easy...
bobh
PPG has a great product. Used it on a roadster style kit car that the interior was sun faded. Great results and wearability.Been a couple years, seems it was 35-$40 pint. Used a small harbor freight gravity low pressure gun. Pint goes a long way.
wes
I have the same interior mabe just a bit better than yours and stuck it away in the case. Then bought new all black from Mark and happy I did!
The brown is hard to replace so if its painted you can't go back!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.