Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Part differences between model years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Many of the differences in parts from model year to model year are documented in some good books. But I've noticed a few differences that I don't recall seeing in any of the literature that I have read.

My project car is a 73 but I've got parts from at least 71,72,73 and 74 cars. Dissassembling different model year cars and seeing the differences in parts is pretty interesting - at least to me wacko.gif . I deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis. I work in material change control/product engineering for a GE refrigerator manufacturing plant. I really enjoy discovering the differences between the 914 model years and trying to understand why the change was made - improve manufacturability, reduce costs, improve quality....

Anyway here ar some differences in parts that I've noticed while dissassembling and re-assembling my 914s.

Maybe this will help some ask the right quetions when buying a replacement part.

This first pic has a fasten seat belt light assembly from a 74 on the left and one from a 73 on the right. The terminals are different between the 2 parts. The 74 part has 2 terminals. The 73 part has a single terminal. The harness connectors are different also.
Doug Leggins
I'm not sure what year this change was made, but I've found 2 different headlight switches. The newer switch has an extra terminal. It is labeled 56K. The part numbers are different.
Doug Leggins
The seat belt receptacles on the left are from a 74. They have seperate rectangular connectors. The ones on the right are from a 73. they are wired as a set with only one round connector.
Doug Leggins
I dont think that this difference in seat belt B-pillar (I think that this is correct terminology) connectors affects interchangeability. I think that this is just a visual difference. The seat belt on the left is from a 74 and has a plated connection point. The one on the right is from a 73 and is painted/coated black.
Flat VW
Interesting Doug,

I also appreciate the "why" of the evolution of parts. What are the titles of the books you referred to earlier?

I am concerned though that we may be "parts nerds". slap.gif

Thanks,

John
Doug Leggins
One more.

The headlight linkage covers are very different from the 72 (and i'm guessing that the 70 & 71 models are like the 72) to the 73 model. The 72 uses a brush like part that is attached in the headlight bucket area and then a vinyl cover is installed in the bucket area to keep water and debris from entering the front trunk. The 73 & 74 (again guessing that 75 & 76 models are like the 73/74 style) use a metal, black, cup and a rubber boot to keep water & debris out of the front trunk.

A few pics on this change.

here is the 72 style
Doug Leggins
The parts used in the 72 style protection.
Doug Leggins
Here's the 73 black, metal cup, rubber cover pulled out of the way.
Doug Leggins
73 style rubber cover in place.
billswim
When I was in college, I worked at EASY. The local , to me, and famous Porsche wrecking yard. The first six months I worked there, I had to reduce this enormous pile of suspension parts to its component pieces and shelve them properly. You learn a lot about compatibility that way.

The easy(no pun intended) way to break down the 914 generations is into three groups. Early 70-72, mid 73-74, and late 75-76. There will be some crossover but those are the big chunks. The head light switch sample you have in your picture is a great one. There are only two versions, early and late and I believe the break is around '72.

Here's a compatability trivia question for you guys: why will 73 factory Pedrini wheels not quite fit on early 70-72 cars?
Flat VW
Hubcentricness? smilie_pokal.gif

John

billswim
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Mar 12 2005, 11:48 AM)

John

I'm sorry. I like to think I have a good vocabulary but I don't know that word. Could you explain please?
aylanco
Amazing how much these cars changed over the years, except to the untrained eye.

At the risk of sounding anal bootyshake.gif I think it is great that someone is documenting these subtle differences. Brett's book gives us the basics, but it certainly doesn't get that detailed.

If no one documents this stuff, in 30-40 years no one will know what is correct.

By the mid 1970's most of the knowledge about 356's was so spread out that there was much misinformation going around. The 356 Registry was formed to reel in all that knowledge, and it took quite a few years for all of that to shake out.

We are lucky with this type of community to have people willing to document minute differences so that in the future we will know what is correct

And, no Mike Z, I am not a CW, I just think it is important to know what is what! smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Mar 12 2005, 12:48 PM)

John

I thought it was the other way around, any rim will fit the early cars, but not all rims will fit the later cars due to that feature wacko.gif
Doug Leggins
What are the titles of the books you referred to earlier?

My favorite reference is: 914 and 914-6 Porsche, A restorer's Guide to Authenticity. The author is Dr. B. Johnson.

Another good book is How To Restore & Modify Your Porsche. The author is Patrick C. Paternie.

In my opinion every 914 owner should have the 2 books above. They are great reference and are full of good info.

Other great references are parts catalogs. Mid America Motorworks, Auto Atlanta, Stoddard all have current hard copy catalogs.
Flat VW
Mueller,

I could be wrong, but I think it is the other way around.

The Fuchs from my 75' car would not fit on my 72' car. ohmy.gif

The Pedrinis (thx Greg Robbins) from my 72' car WOULD fit my 75' car. mueba.gif

All of this "discovered" after the tires had been "swapped" around on the wheels, requiring all to be "re-swapped". headbang.gif

John
billswim
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 12 2005, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Mar 12 2005, 12:48 PM)

John

I thought it was the other way around, any rim will fit the early cars, but not all rims will fit the later cars due to that feature wacko.gif

pray.gif That's what I get trying to show how smart I was. smash.gif you're right it is the other way around. The later cars (72 1/2 up)had and extra, raised ring around the wheel bearing dust cover area and the early wheels didn't have a cut out to fit over this ring.
Flat VW
bill,

Others here referred to the 72' car as hubcentric, I added the "ness", just for the style of it. mueba.gif

John
Flat VW
Doug, bill, et al, wavey.gif

Anyone know any answers to this thread, parts/ year related: boldblue.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=27043

TIA,

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.