Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Am replacing the flywheel on the '74 2.0 liter. I noticed that the old flywheel bolts had their heads ground down for a lower profile to possibly make sure the clutch operated correctly?? Or does this indicate a resurfaced flywheel, I can't tell? Is this a common practice and/or necessary? Do I have to ground down the new bolt heads? New stock flywheel, Sachs new clutch kit going in, nothing but stock.
Question #2 - Do you torque down the flywheel bolts to the recommended 80 lbs and then check for the correct end play to see if more shims are needed? My car has 3 shims in it now. If you torque them down it seems to me that they have stretched and cannot be used again. What if the end play is not correct and you have to take them out again and then tighten them down when correct shims are in place?
Thanks.
mightyohm
It is common practice if the flywheel has been resurfaced too many times and you are using the stock 4 spring clutch. Since you are putting in a new flywheel you should get new bolts, a new flywheel o-ring, pilot bearing, felt washer, and spring plate.

Can't help you with the shims but it is documented around here somewhere, and also in Tom Wilson's VW rebuilding book.

Good luck.
mueba.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Right. Ground down bolt heads are a sign of a resurfaced flywheel sometime in the past. The bolts are NOT stretch bolts, and can be reused a number of times. Use the 911 disc, it's better and often cheaper. Be sure to check the end play BEFORE you install the new seal. As the endplay is more a result of variations in the bearing than the flywheel, it's apt to be OK. Best way to check it is with a dial indicator, and push/pull on the pulley end (if possible), NOT the flywheel itself. You apply the force, let go, measure it, apply force in the opposite direction, let go, measure it again. Calculate the difference, swap shims as necessary, assemble, recheck, remove the flywheel one last timw, install the new seal AND the new o-ring, button it up. You want 3 shims total, so some fiddling around may be necessary. The Cap'n
Thanks for the info. I am using a 6 spring 911 clutch plate, have all new bolts, seals, o rings, felt, etc. Everything going back in is new.
Also, any tricks to getting out the pressure plate dowel locating pins that are in the old flywheel? Are these just punched out from the back side using a punch? Or what do you do? Need to put them in the new flywheel.
Thanks.
JFJ914
QUOTE (911914 @ Mar 12 2005, 05:54 PM)
Also, any tricks to getting out the pressure plate dowel locating pins that are in the old flywheel? Are these just punched out from the back side using a punch? Or what do you do? Need to put them in the new flywheel.
Thanks.

Yes
mightyohm
After you put them in the new flywheel, file the dowel pins around the edges so that the new pressure plate does not bind on them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.