Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash top removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFix
I need to replace the washer hoses, and have removed the steering wheel, the knee pad and the switch assembly. I know where the hose enters the firewall and can see that it goes up and behind the gauges from the switch, but don't see anyway to get to them. Do you have to remove the dash top to get access.

I tried to remove the instrument cluster, but can't pull it forward without getting behind it to remove what feels like the speedo cable (at least ).

Anybody know where to find some directions on removing the dash top or otherways to get to the hoses from the firewall?

Thanks!
Dr Evil
The speedo should be detached and will yield you more room to move. If you drop your steering column you should see the hoses. They go up into the steering column and terminate at your wiper switch. The easiest way to do this is to remove your steering wheel and then the wiper switch.
Aaron Cox
what he said...

pull the wheel. pull the 4 slotted screws holding on your wiper switch and turn signal one. the hoses run righ up to the back of the switch....
ChrisFix
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Mar 12 2005, 12:56 PM)
The speedo should be detached and will yield you more room to move. If you drop your steering column you should see the hoses. They go up into the steering column and terminate at your wiper switch. The easiest way to do this is to remove your steering wheel and then the wiper switch.

I tried to remove the IP with the thought that it was the way to see anything back there, but the speedo seems to not want to pull forward. I was guessing that the speedo cable needs to be removed to allow it to pull out, but don't see any access to do that.

How do I remove the speedo?
Jeffs9146
Pull the tach out and reach in through the tach hole to remove the speedo cable from the rear of the speedo!

Jeff

PS: disconnect the battery just in case you touch something together!
ChrisFix
Good suggestion - thank you, I'll do that next time. I was working on the car (before I read your post) and found that I could get just enough slack on the speedo to pull the IP forward and reach behind to release the speedo cable. I then was staring straight at the stupid washer tubes I was trying to get to.

Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.