Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car inspection advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Thinking of buying a 914-6 from a guy in Gainesville Georgia but would like to have it inspected by someone who knows a bit about these cars not necessarily the engine more the body.The car was on ebay and some of the pics showed rust at the bottom of the door jamb on the passenger side ,this probably means some rust in the longs but the battery tray and below seems solid from the pics and the guy seems honest enough and has perfect feedback on ebay.Is there any way of finding someone who could take a look at the car and have a bit of a dig around and give me there opinion
I would pay them for there time,i have put up a request for someone who might be in the area to take a look but with no success is there a professional body that i could contact and arrange to have this done
Any advice on this would be much appreciated
Kate ,Brian
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(cal914 @ Nov 30 2015, 03:01 PM) *

Thinking of buying a 914-6 from a guy in Gainesville Georgia but would like to have it inspected by someone who knows a bit about these cars not necessarily the engine more the body.The car was on ebay and some of the pics showed rust at the bottom of the door jamb on the passenger side ,this probably means some rust in the longs but the battery tray and below seems solid from the pics and the guy seems honest enough and has perfect feedback on ebay.Is there any way of finding someone who could take a look at the car and have a bit of a dig around and give me there opinion
I would pay them for there time,i have put up a request for someone who might be in the area to take a look but with no success is there a professional body that i could contact and arrange to have this done
Any advice on this would be much appreciated
Kate ,Brian

PM Sent - I could use the day off of work. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Smart move. I am sure someone local to the car will pop up on here and offer to help out.

Ask them to take lots of detailed photos of all areas of the car as they inspect it.

Ask if the owner has a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) so you can determine if it is a numbers matching car. Any Six is worth money, but matching engine and transaxle bring the most.

Inspect all areas of the trunks, engine bay, around the windshield, sail panel/door handle areas. The rear most portion of the rear trunk-below the taillights is a very common area for rot. Of course the jacking points on the longs is a very common area for rust to attack, especially the passenger side. Check all of the panel alignment to make sure the car has not started to fold in on itself from rust in the longs. Check to see all electrical works, and brakes. Lastly, if the car could be checked with a magnet to try to determine how much body filler, if any, exists, that would be really nice. Ask the seller what kind of paperwork he has for the car. Receipts, ownership history, photos of any major repair work, accidents, etc.

I think most Six owners would be honest but there are some people who just flip these cars and really do not care what happens once you hand over your hard earned cash. If the seller has a solid history on eBay and you have verified the car and his address, it sounds good. Pictures, pictures, pictures. I might suggest that if it clears all of the above hurdles, you go see it personally - but I recognize you are apparently on the other side of the pond. Good luck with the inspection and hopefully you move forward and make a purchase.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.