Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woo Hoo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
After more than 4 months of trying to find time to work on it, I finally drove Betty's 914 around the block a couple of times.

If you don't remember, this was the motor that had the rivets that hold the cam gear on the cam loosen up. When I pulled it apart, I found the cam itself was going bad. 1.5mm difference between the exhaust lobes, and 3.5mm difference on the intake lobes.

Now it has a Raby 9590 cam kit in it, complete with the works. I have been fighting little stromberg.gif on it for a few weeks. Things like a broken exhaust stud, a bad plug wire, and a bad injector plug.

But I have beat the little bugs into submission, but I still need to clean and install all of the heater parts so she will be nice and warm this winter.

And I get to put her birthday gift on the car... A freshly recovered leather steering wheel.

Soon.... driving-girl.gif

betty914.jpg

jim_hoyland
IIRC Betty's 914 is a stock L-Jet; does the Raby cam require any other mods ?
theleschyouknow
smilie_pokal.gif
great news! I'm sure Betty will be glad to be behind the wheel again even more so when it's freshly wrapped in leather!
good work Clay
now, on to the 4.X?
beerchug.gif
cjl
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 30 2015, 08:07 PM) *

IIRC Betty's 914 is a stock L-Jet; does the Raby cam require any other mods ?

Nope... the L-Jet works fine with the cam. The only other mod was using a bus throttle body that is 10MM bigger.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Nov 30 2015, 09:34 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
great news! I'm sure Betty will be glad to be behind the wheel again even more so when it's freshly wrapped in leather!
good work Clay
now, on to the 4.X?
beerchug.gif
cjl

Still hunting for a 3.6 engine to use for my car. They seem to be getting rather rare.

RickS
Great news. Hopefully Betty likes to hotrod.
mr2by4
Glad to hear it is working!
It felt pretty bad to drag you both away from her car to have you help with mine. Hopefully we will have them all back on the road in the new year!
beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
Clay,

if its an L-jet, is it a 1.8, or did you increase displacement? if so, which injectors are you using and how did you adjust flow with a L-jet to increase or change fuel flow/output? (tune A/F)?

Thanks.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 1 2015, 09:16 AM) *

Clay,

if its an L-jet, is it a 1.8, or did you increase displacement? if so, which injectors are you using and how did you adjust flow with a L-jet to increase or change fuel flow/output? (tune A/F)?

Thanks.

Don't mess with the AFM internally. The only thing you should do is adjust the air bypass screw. Messing with the insides of the AFM requires special tools to calibrate it correctly.

The 912E was a 2.0 914 engine in a 911 chassis, with the L-Jet added onto it. They used different injectors than the 1.8L car, but the factory 912E injectors are basically unobtanium these days. So I used Nissan/Datsun 280Z injectors. Nippondenso license built the Bosch L-Jet system, and it was installed on most of the Nissan and Toyota product line in the 80s. The Z injectors are the replacement called out in all the parts catalogs for the 912E. They bolt right in with absolutely no mods needed.

That and the bus throttle body conversion make for a strong running engine.
bandjoey
Congrats. You've been the shoemaker with holes in his shoes for lack of time. She has a super car.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 1 2015, 01:16 PM) *

Clay,

Thanks.

Don't mess with the AFM internally. The only thing you should do is adjust the air bypass screw. Messing with the insides of the AFM requires special tools to calibrate it correctly.

The 912E was a 2.0 914 engine in a 911 chassis, with the L-Jet added onto it. They used different injectors than the 1.8L car, but the factory 912E injectors are basically unobtanium these days. So I used Nissan/Datsun 280Z injectors. Nippondenso license built the Bosch L-Jet system, and it was installed on most of the Nissan and Toyota product line in the 80s. The Z injectors are the replacement called out in all the parts catalogs for the 912E. They bolt right in with absolutely no mods needed.

so theoretically, one could replace a 2.0 set up with d-jet, with an l-jet system, just source these Z-injectors and a bus intake manifold ?
if I have to rebuild my 1.8 I could keep the l-jet, but go to 1911 stock P&C, heads etc, idea.gif .
Ive heard the L-jet systems were used on many other cars, and seem to be a smoother more dependable system overall than the d-jet, so it might be a better option and affordable one going forward on these.

thanks for the info. When I saw Betty's car at last years' Octeenerfest I did not know it was the 912E set up. Hope you guys can make it next year!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 1 2015, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 1 2015, 01:16 PM) *

Clay,

Thanks.

so theoretically, one could replace a 2.0 set up with d-jet, with an l-jet system, just source these Z-injectors and a bus intake manifold ?
if I have to rebuild my 1.8 I could keep the l-jet, but go to 1911 stock P&C, heads etc, idea.gif .
Ive heard the L-jet systems were used on many other cars, and seem to be a smoother more dependable system overall than the d-jet, so it might be a better option and affordable one going forward on these.

thanks for the info. When I saw Betty's car at last years' Octeenerfest I did not know it was the 912E set up. Hope you guys can make it next year!

It's not a 912E system. It is the 1.8L-Jet with bigger injectors. I just added the bus throttle body with the engine rebuild.

EdwardBlume
Congrats! cheer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 1 2015, 04:22 PM) *

Congrats! cheer.gif

^ditto!

I've run stock 1.8 L-jet on a factory 914 2.0 before, I think I swapped to newer Ford 19lb injectors. (and a Mallory distributor later on)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.