Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I am replacing all the seals on my transmission and was wondering what the torque spec is for both the side cover plate and the drive flange bolts.

See
Allan
How about the seal inside the speedo drive gear? I have a new one but I can't figure out how to replace it. Seems like you almost have to split the casing to get it out.

Allan
Is Mobil 1 75-90 any good for the tranny?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 12 2005, 04:22 PM)
How about the seal inside the speedo drive gear? I have a new one but I can't figure out how to replace it. Seems like you almost have to split the casing to get it out.

im pretty sure that thing unscrews.... i replaxed my angle drive.....
Allan
I got it open but the seal sets way down inside the aluminum casting. No visible seams where it might come apart. Oh and anyone can chime in with those torque values so I can put this thing back together. biggrin.gif
Allan
Okay I found the drive flange torque value 25-29. I'm concerned about those 13mm nuts for the side plate. I would hate to strip one.
TimT
Is Mobil 1 75-90 any good for the tranny?

Some people say synthetics are too slippery for the 901 synchros. Having said that Ive used Mobil1 in my tranny before, with no ill effects..

I have some excess Swepco laying around , so thats what I use now.

The torque on the 8mm studs is like 18ft/lbs I think? I have to look it up, and the manuals are at the shop
Allan
18 seems high. I was thinkink along the lines of the engine case torque of about 14 or so. Boy I could use this info. It's gonna get dark.
jim912928
Allan, check your pm's...Jim
ws91420
Porsche manual 16 to 18 ft lbs.
Doug Leggins
Torque section for tranny

Doug Leggins
next
Doug Leggins
last
Allan
Outstanding!!!!!!!!! This will get me there although a damaged one of the side shaft seals so I'm stuck on the left side. headbang.gif I'll bet my FLAPS wont have it either.
Allan
Well I have to stop for the day but I managed to get the rt. side cover plate o-ring in as well as the rt. side seal, the speedo drive o-ring (although I had to find a suitable substitute out of the shop) and the shift shaft seal. That thing was too easy. I'm almost afraid it's wrong because it went together so well. Oh well, will find out when all my gear oil ends up on somebodies driveway. biggrin.gif
ws91420
I am watching this because I will be tearing down mine hopefully next week to fix it being stuck in two gears. Not so sure about it. Downloaded redbeard's trans info and have my factory manual. It may take a thread w/ alot of questions to understand it all.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 12 2005, 06:33 PM)
I am watching this because I will be tearing down mine hopefully next week to fix it being stuck in two gears. Not so sure about it. Downloaded redbeard's trans info and have my factory manual. It may take a thread w/ alot of questions to understand it all.

Do you have red beards link? I'm not rebuilding any transaxles, just sounds like a good read.
ws91420
I have the PDF downloaded for the full on syncro change. If you give me an email addy I'll send it to you.
Aaron Cox
allan,

how hard was this? i need to replace my output shaft seals...this week ohmy.gif

also...how mcuh were the gaskets??
Trekkor
how hard was this?

If you take your time and go easy, you can do each side in 20 mins.

KT
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 12 2005, 09:17 PM)
allan,

how hard was this? i need to replace my output shaft seals...this week ohmy.gif

also...how mcuh were the gaskets??

I think the seals were about 7 or 8 bucks each and like Trekkor said, it should take about 20 minutes or so once the tranny is on the bench.
Allan
Okay, I'm headed back to the shop for more smash.gif . I'm going to replace the input shaft seal and was wondering if there are any tricks. It looks kind of difficult to get even pressure on it because of the shaft.

Thanks
lylegd
My shop manual lists a torque spec of 16-18 ft-lbs. for the side plates. Lyle
Downunderman
Castrol multitrax.
Allan
Okay, next question. I was going through the parts that came in the super bushing kit I got. In it are 2 ea. shift coupler bushings and 2 ea. throw-out bearing guide clips. I don't have my haynes book here at the office and don't remember seeing either when I took it apart. But that was back in July.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.