Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cut myself yesterday at work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I actually fainted on the way to the walk-in clinic where I got 8 stitches in my left index finger Friday afternoon. sad.gif
I'm leaving for Georgia in 9 days and I have 3 exhaust systems to finish up before I leave. In addition I have a long list of things to do on the race car including: install the engine, install a new Lexan windshield, install new harnesses, finish my external oil scavenge system, etc.
Not only that we had 5 more inches of snow this morning.
On the bright side - my new Honda snowblower made short work of the snow on the driveway, and I have a snazzy new driver's suit. mueba.gif
d914
Hey, might come up and visit ya at RA. My son and I will try to stay out of the way....would love to see the car and see you run....and I am always good for a lame idea when it comes to cars.....
jd74914
That sucks Chris. If you need any help drop us a line. James.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 12 2005, 04:30 PM)
I actually fainted on the way to the walk-in clinic where I got 8 stitches in my left index finger Friday afternoon. sad.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
william harris
Damn Chris, ohmy.gif I used to say leather is cheap, skin is expensive. This was when I was riding sports bikes and the same applies to working around sharp metal. Take it easy, let things slide that you can do later. Good Luck in GA! welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
morgan
I hate when I do that

JM
J P Stein
Heh, tain't funny I know, but I've been there.

Got myself near the base of my thumb (on top) with a saber saw some time back. Only thing that kept it from going clear thru was the bone in the way...despite the blade taking 4-5 shots at it. It was a squirter (only 3-4 inches) but only took 3-4 stiches. Had to set down with my haid between my knees for a bit and clamped down on the hole with my other thumb. It's always best to sit down before ya fall down, I've found smile.gif No sense adding to the carnage. The wife had to drive to the E-room.
grasshopper
I'm moving to GA this summer also. Seems like there are only a few georgia guys in the club. wacko.gif o well, there will be more when we show up biggrin.gif
ChrisReale
I cut myself at work once, but it was at a restaurant. Lacerated the tendon in my right ring finger, right by the knuckle. They had to fish the tendon from up my arm and sew it back together. During surgery they gave me morphine and valium mueba.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I'm a cabinetmaker by profession. I have a thumb and index finger that have been surgically reattached. Thumb has very little feeling left, but life goes on. Good luck.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 12 2005, 08:30 PM)
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Nothing too scary here.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (d914 @ Mar 12 2005, 07:33 PM)
Hey, might come up and visit ya at RA.

I'd like that! Raceday is the 27th.
J P Stein
Git that gross thing off the furniture biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 12 2005, 07:51 PM)

Thanks!
I didn't do a thing Saturday but I'm gonna try and get a lot done today. We'll see. At least it will be a bit warmer in the garage. Man I'm tired of winter. rolleyes.gif
redshift
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 13 2005, 03:15 AM)

Nothing too scary here.

Sucks, I learned to sew with my left hand, at the bottom of Grand Canyon. I didn't know anything but cross-stitch.. laugh.gif My finger looked like Frankenfinger.

Maybe the swelling will subside in a day.. or two.. ouch.. sorry man..

M
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (william harris @ Mar 12 2005, 08:36 PM)
I used to say leather is cheap, skin is expensive.

I was wearing gloves.
Unfortunately they were soft leather TIG gloves, and didn't offer much resistance at all.
OTOH, it could have been much worse without them.
Next time I'll use the correct tool instead of being a hero. laugh.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 12 2005, 08:49 PM)
It was a squirter (only 3-4 inches) but only took 3-4 stiches. Had to set down with my haid between my knees for a bit and clamped down on the hole with my other thumb. It's always best to sit down before ya fall down, I've found smile.gif No sense adding to the carnage. The wife had to drive to the E-room.

This one bled pretty good but no fountain. ohmy.gif
I thought I was ok when I got in my friend's truck after I had to sit for a moment inside the shop.
Next thing I know he was waking me up from a dream (nice one too) and I was wetting myself.
Piss on - pissoff.gif biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 12 2005, 09:05 PM)
I'm moving to GA this summer also. Seems like there are only a few georgia guys in the club. wacko.gif o well, there will be more when we show up biggrin.gif

I'll be at Summit Point on the 3rd. Stop by if you can. I'm in an early race group though, before lunch.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Mar 12 2005, 11:40 PM)
Lacerated the tendon in my right ring finger,

I was lucky. The internist at the walkin wasn't afraid to handle my little cut. I do have a little numbness on the back of the finger still. I hope that's just temporary.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 13 2005, 02:20 AM)
Sucks, I learned to sew with my left hand, at the bottom of Grand Canyon. I didn't know anything but cross-stitch.. laugh.gif

When my brother Charley lived closer I would have him do any stitching. I'm not good at one handed sewing but he's a plastic surgeon. Now he lives in Tennessee and I'll be visiting him during my trip.

Are you gonna make it to Atlanta for a visit? I'll be at Jake's place for a couple of days before and after the race too. I'm trying to get another friend from Charleston to come out, but I know it's a long drive.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 13 2005, 02:18 AM)
Git that gross thing off the furniture biggrin.gif

Wife took the picture. Must be ok! laugh.gif
Elliot_Cannon
"It's a long way from your heart kid. You'll live. Now tape it up and get back in the game!" My football coach. 1963
Be careful with them sharp metal things.
Cheers, Elliot
SpecialK
Ouch!.....That's goin' to leave a mark!

At least it's not your beer can holding hand! beer.gif
Gary
I'm sure they covered this at the clinic, but make sure you've had a tetanus booster in the last decade.
Eric_Shea
Bummer Chris,

I have a theory on the fainting thing... it nearly happens to me every time I cut a finger. Although I've never blacked out, I think the fingers, with so many nerve endings, trigger this. I've had big gashes on my leg and no problem. Something about fingers.
jd74914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 12 2005, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 12 2005, 07:51 PM)

Thanks!
I didn't do a thing Saturday but I'm gonna try and get a lot done today. We'll see. At least it will be a bit warmer in the garage. Man I'm tired of winter. rolleyes.gif

So are we. Its been so cold we haven't been able to do anything. The 911 didn't get its top-end tuneup and I didn't finish stripping the insides out of my car.

I can't wait until spring finally comes.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 13 2005, 10:14 AM)

It is. sad.gif I'm a lefty. beer3.gif I haven't drank beer from a straw in a long time. Maybe I should do that. wacko.gif

I opened the garage door to let the warmer (almost 40F) outside air in so I won't freeze out there while I work.
After lunch I'll close up and run the kero heater to get it up to a toasty 55.
SpecialK
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 13 2005, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 13 2005, 10:14 AM)

It is. sad.gif I'm a lefty. beer3.gif

Oh no! This more serious than I thought!! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif
guywan914
GEEEEZ Chris you got's to be more careful. Do you need a hand with anything? You can instruct and I can do manual labor. Give a call, we all want the Tangerine car to be ready for Georgia.
ChrisFoley
I'm doing pretty good today actually - only used a normal sized Bandaid for protection.
I even drank a bottle of beer with lunch. I don't think I could handle a mug though.
Guy, you should plan on stopping at the shop this week. Your exhaust system is ready. I finished it before the accident. smile.gif
Back to the garage...
guywan914
Yeah my exhaust is ready!!!! now only if the car was ready for the exhaust. A little incentive! Thanks Chris smilie_pokal.gif I'll stop by this week. Seriously though call if you need a hand or finger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.