Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 40 year old mirrors are fragile
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver Surfer
Cracked the side mirror today adjusting it in the cold. mad.gif

Has anyone replaced the mirror glass successfully? I see AA carries a replacement glass and seal. Has anyone used these? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Big Len
I brought mine to a local glass shop. $15 to cut a new piece
Kraftwerk
A local glass shop cut mine as well.. $10, but it took then 2 tries.. the gasket is the tricky part..good that a new one is available through AA.
ClayPerrine

agree.gif

Local glass shop put one in for me.
EdwardBlume
Not tough but the gasket gives out easily...
Silver Surfer
Thanks guys. I'll give the new AA gasket a shot and see about sourcing the glass locally. I guess I needed another winter project...
914Sixer
Sierra Madre has the glass too.
Elliot Cannon
All three of SLITS' mirrors are badly broken. And he didn't even have to touch them. av-943.gif poke.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 1 2015, 08:41 PM) *

All three of SLITS' mirrors are badly broken. And he didn't even have to touch them. av-943.gif poke.gif

Harrumph .... don't need them anyway as the car is so fast that I don't worry about what is BEHIND me. poke.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 2 2015, 08:09 AM) *

Harrumph .... don't need them anyway as the car is so fast that I don't worry about what is BEHIND me. poke.gif

You can't outrun ugly. poke.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 2 2015, 06:09 AM) *

lol-2.gif
Jeffs9146
FYI

I found that the AA mirror glass was a bit thinner than the factory and I needed to add a spacer behind the mirror to keep it from vibrating.
GaroldShaffer
I found when replacing the glass that it helps to warm up the gasket a little before you pull it if you plan to re-use it. Made it easier to remove and reinstall. YMMV
gandalf_025
The original windshields aren't much better after all this time.
I got mine out of the car fine..
Broke it carrying it to put it in a safe place. DOH.
Damn doorknob....
rjames
Who sells new gaskets? (other than AA)
boxstr
I have used a local glass company to have new glass cut. It best it you tape yours and take it in so they can get it to the correct size and shape. You don't always need to replace the gasket. If you carefully remove the gasket and glass you should be okay.
I might have a new glass at camp.
Craig at CAMP
boxstr
Pm sent.
Craig
Harpo
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 1 2015, 06:13 PM) *

Sierra Madre has the glass too.

The mirror that I purchased from Sierra Madre didn't fit so be careful
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 2 2015, 08:47 AM) *

I found when replacing the glass that it helps to warm up the gasket a little before you pull it if you plan to re-use it. Made it easier to remove and reinstall. YMMV

Good tip! I'd love to reuse the original gasket if I can. I think I'll have a repro gasket on hand just in case.
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 2 2015, 09:35 AM) *

I have used a local glass company to have new glass cut. It best it you tape yours and take it in so they can get it to the correct size and shape. You don't always need to replace the gasket. If you carefully remove the gasket and glass you should be okay.
I might have a new glass at camp.
Craig at CAMP

Thanks Craig! Responded to your PM. Let me know if you have any new glass on hand I'd be happy to swing by camp. I thought Camp 914 was in West Linn for some reason, I'm actually 10 minutes away in Oak Grove.

If you don't have any on hand could you give me the name of the glass company that you used? Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.