Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll... This is my first one.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tscrihfield
I'm not sure that I will ever finish this car... But I hope to.
Just would like to start a dialogue about these options for the car.

Having worked on all of them now... I have my own opinions but would like to know everyone else's.

Thomas
rnellums
Is budget a concern?

If not really, the ls mated to a boxter 6 spd makes for an excellent package. However, given that you can get the whole wrx conversion running for what the clutch/flywheel adapter costs for the ls to boxter it gets my vote.

Plus you get to keep a boxer engine.
flmont
WRX would be the closest to stk,.with strong performance,..but 350-400 in a 914,....Damn,..but I still say WRX
brant
Something legal for an established class?
sixnotfour
electric option ???
sixnotfour
electric option ???

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif happy11.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 1 2015, 10:17 PM) *

electric option ???

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif happy11.gif

Jeff, that's shocking... shades.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 2 2015, 12:07 AM) *

agree.gif

Easier to plan your build for a class, than it is to try to figure out things after the fact.
Without a plan you will likely end up in a class you'll never have hope in hell of being competitive in.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 2 2015, 07:19 PM) *
agree.gif
Easier to plan your build for a class, than it is to try to figure out things after the fact.
Without a plan you will likely end up in a class you'll never have hope in hell of being competitive in.

agree.gif
JamesM
Confused as to why you would have a turbo type 1 option, but no type 4 option?

whats wrong with the type 4?
Dave_Darling
For any track car, Step Zero should always be RTFR. (Read The Rulebook.) Most engine swaps will either take you out of running with some outfits, or will put you into the megabuck classes.

My choice of motor: Stock 1.7 or 1.8. Gives you the largest number of places to run, and fits into classes where you don't have to arrive in a big-rig to have any chance of getting into mid-pack.

--DD
mr2by4
If you just want a toy for the track, get the LS and mate it to a boxster transmission. It should provide you with many, many big smiles without worrying about a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, running more boost etc.
None of those make any sense for a race car. If you would like to race, stay with a type 4 at or under 2 liters. And read the rule book. Can you run carbs? Are you required to run carbs? Etc
Dreaming is fun, but having a track car that you have spent all of your time and money on that you have to try to sell so you can build a race car is frustrating. Been there myself twice!
Andyrew
The biggest question is what racing organization are you going to be running in mainly. If its the PCA or if you want any hopes of running in the Porsche club you need to run a Porsche engine.

If its an open class your going to want to maximize the rules (Most have displacement restrictions and then any engine with a Turbo gets put into the big engine classes).

If the car is mainly going to be on the track a turbo is not an added hassle you want unless it can give you a competitive advantage. In this case an LS motor is probably the best option if not for a Porsche engine.

If the car is rarely going to see track and only for DE days or open track day use but mainly street use, a turbo engine is a fantastic choice. BUT Oversize the turbo, run lower boost settings on the track than you would on the street, oversize your intercooler and oversize your oil cooler.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Dec 3 2015, 08:50 AM) *

If you just want a toy for the track, get the LS and mate it to a boxster transmission.

And then have lots of fun turning rubber into smoke!!

...Or spend a bunch more $$ on flaring the car so you can put enough tire under it to cope with the LS.

--DD
Andyrew
On the track a narrow body can cope just fine with 350lbs tq with a sticky tire. You dont spend much time below 40mph, and the v8 being a very very linear engine you can modulate that power nicely.

Besides it looks like he's got GT flares base on his avatar.
Racer
3.0liter twin plug 911 motor?

anyways.. like some others say.. how will the car be used? "Track" car is kinda vague. If racing is the goal, read a rule book. No point doing the work over and over again.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 3 2015, 05:45 PM) *

anyways.. like some others say.. how will the car be used? "Track" car is kinda vague. If racing is the goal, read a rule book. No point doing the work over and over again.

That's what I'm installing cheer.gif

But I'm not racing....
tscrihfield
Sorry all, kinda posted that and then checked out... for a few days. Work has been demanding of my time to say the least. Memphis this week and Orlando all next so Tonight is about the only night I will have a home for the next couple weeks since PRI show is in indy next weekend.

I guess I should have prefaced my "Race car" comment... I think it will be a DE car. I could always go the Cayenne V8 route and race PCA. I help our club each year with our PCA clubrace and know enough about the rules to be dangerous but the car would have to have P car engine and trans to fit the bill. I will start digging into classification rules and see where it leads. I think if the car works out, I may look into some sort of club racing whether that be SCCA, NASA or some other sort. I think I would steer clear of PCA due to the tight regs on engine and trans.

Thank you guys for the advice. Looks like many like the Suby route thus far

Thomas
thelogo
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 3 2015, 02:45 PM) *

W t f right

You missing that only option that matters here

aktion035.gif get a /6 aktion035.gif

For what it's worth
The /6 seems to be a low risk

Well understood swap that just works great beerchug.gif t

I thought air cooled flat sixes were made for and to
Ecel in racing
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2015, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 2 2015, 07:19 PM) *
agree.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 3 2015, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 3 2015, 05:45 PM) *

That's what I'm installing cheer.gif

But I'm not racing....

Twin plug 3.0 would be awesome! aktion035.gif
1stworks
I run ls x 6 speed boxster.

The power is instant and linear, shifts like a dream.
Part are cheep and plentiful for motor.
You spend more up front but wrx turbo your stuck
With suby trans.....
Turbos can be a hand full.......

Good luck

IPB Image
Justinp71
Growing up I've always been into both chevy v8s and porsches. With that said I always wanted to stuff a v8 into my 914. Well my uncle beat me to it and shoved a tired 2.7 six in before I had the chance with a v8. Fast forward 15 years later and I have a cammed/carbed 3.2 that I absolutely love in my car. It feels very balanced for the 914, with running on r compound tires I can get on it and the car takes off. The six also adds alot of value to the car. Seems like the toughest part though is finding or building a good six engine (especially these days).

But saying all that if I were to start over I would consider an LSx or a WRX motor. I think the best thing is to see if you can get a ride in one and consider what you would like to have in your car.

What do you want when you step on the peddle? A loud v8 with instant torq that is going to smoke the tires off the rims? or a turbo 4 where you can feel the boost spool up and blast you forward?

From what I've read in other posts it sounds like any conversion is going to come with a pretty penny, even the WRX swap seems to add up to 10k+?

Cracker
I will try to offer an unbiased view. I haven't driven a Subie conversion but have seen several blow up on track. It might be great but I'd look hard at options before going this route. I think a six would be great...if you can afford it (now and later). You will give up power, reliability and future maintenance. I sold my LS powered conversion for more than double the last "6" I had - I wouldn't consider either, if executed well, to be an advantage. The market is large for both.

To address a few misconceptions (whether based upon reputation or experience):

1) LOUD = Porsche motors (but in the ear piercing way); LS = Deep, low bass - matter of preference. My LS1 powered street car was so quietly muffled you could hardly hear it. Either way, the sound can be controlled.
2) LS = "Turning tires into smoke" and "smoking the tires off the rims" isn't necessarily the case - just a subjective view. The fact that one motor CAN do this while others can't should not be viewed in a negative sense. I didn't turn tire into smoke or burn them off the rims this weekend (a DE as a matter of fact).
3) No matter what you do, to do "it" right, it will cost serious money. To build a hot-rod, you can do things more cost effectively but when you cross the line and put your LIFE on the line (on the track), there is no room for short cuts. Bad designs, poor engineering, etc. is a recipe for disaster. To track a 914 at all takes some guts no matter what engine you ultimately choose.
4) I don't have a dog in this fight and don't care what you choose - its not my car. However, make sure your selection is based on "fact" rather than fiction or folklore. Ideally, in a perfect world, you would test drive a 914 that is set-up in a fashion similar to how you'd build your car. Don't test drive a hot rod if you want a car to perform well and reliably on the track - makes no sense. They are different animals.
5) Lastly, engine choices are not made based on multiple choice polls...I did not vote (FWIW). shades.gif

Just my two-cents...best of luck!

Tony
Mueller
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Dec 6 2015, 07:30 PM) *

Sorry all, kinda posted that and then checked out... for a few days. Work has been demanding of my time to say the least. Memphis this week and Orlando all next so Tonight is about the only night I will have a home for the next couple weeks since PRI show is in indy next weekend.

I guess I should have prefaced my "Race car" comment... I think it will be a DE car. I could always go the Cayenne V8 route and race PCA. I help our club each year with our PCA clubrace and know enough about the rules to be dangerous but the car would have to have P car engine and trans to fit the bill. I will start digging into classification rules and see where it leads. I think if the car works out, I may look into some sort of club racing whether that be SCCA, NASA or some other sort. I think I would steer clear of PCA due to the tight regs on engine and trans.

Thank you guys for the advice. Looks like many like the Suby route thus far

Thomas

Don't discount the 90° V6 used in the Panamera and Macans, from what I understand it's a smaller version of the Cayenne motor, shorter for easier packaging and lighter to boot!

IPB Image
dflesburg
do what everyone else does, put in a 3.8 carb'd engine and tell everyone its a 2.0
Mueller
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 8 2015, 05:59 AM) *

do what everyone else does, put in a 3.8 carb'd engine and tell everyone its a 2.0

I thought only certain 911 owners do that and then protest when someone calls them on it. blink.gif poke.gif
1stworks
Sure you can smoke the tires in first and second but if your easy on it
Second will hook up.I'm on little tires but super sticky.
205/50\15

If anyone wants a ride I'd be happy to.

Turn it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8yvytRtShE
Mueller
QUOTE(1stworks @ Dec 8 2015, 07:04 AM) *

Sure you can smoke the tires in first and second but if your easy on it
Second will hook up.I'm on little tires but super sticky.
205/50\15

If anyone wants a ride I'd be happy to.

Turn it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8yvytRtShE

"yea Daddy, he beat whatever car that was!" pure awesomeness!
MJHanna
Run the 4 banger you put together, you will become a better driver if you learn how to drive a momentum car FIRST. It’s a lot of fun passing larger engined cars because YOU can drive better then them. driving.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.