Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way/place to Buy a Subie EZ30 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Iam not having the greatest luck trying to find a subie engine for the 914,..is the JDM program the best / safest way to buy that type of engine,..??? Iam looking for HP/ TQ thought I would go SVX,..but the EZ does make sence,...Thanks Frank
JRust
Our classifieds of course http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=269459
76-914
Bob doesn't want to ship. sad.gif Are you planning on re-using the factory ECU or going with an after market one like Stinger? If after market a JDM is fine. I recommend buying a wrecked but running donor car. Sources include CoPart, craigslist and Evilbay. beerchug.gif
BIGKAT_83
Already sold the engines and transaxles. Just need to mark them sold.

sad.gif Bob
AZ914
FLMONT,

Just go to our local Craigslist (or PHX) and search on 'PORSCHE 914'. There is a guy up in Mesa/Phx that resells Subie motors (JDM I assume). Not sure if he has what you want but he probably has a source.
Rotary'14
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 2 2015, 08:17 AM) *

FLMONT,

Just go to our local Craigslist (or PHX) and search on 'PORSCHE 914'. There is a guy up in Mesa/Phx that resells Subie motors (JDM I assume). Not sure if he has what you want but he probably has a source.

I have an engine/ecu/harness out here in Los Angeles if you feel like taking a drive.
PM me if you're interested.

-Robert
flmont
Hi,.. AZ914,..yea,..I have seen those adds,..wasn't sure if that was a safe bet. I missed a running SVX a month or so ago,,But I think Big_Kat said to use a EZ30 version...Iam not sure what car those engines come out of,... yet ,..Thanks
flmont
Yea,. Damn I didn't see that add,..would have done that for sure....But Thanks anyway..Jrust...
JRust
They came in different year subies. I think 2002 on up for the EZ30. There are difference's though ECU wise. You are better off going with a Stinger ECU if you can afford it. Less code issues you'll have to mess with
rnellums
2001-2003 Subaru EZ30 have ecus that are easy to carry over. No real code issues other than a continuous CEL, and OEM ecus are easy and inexpensive to come by.

76-914
QUOTE(flmont @ Dec 2 2015, 06:28 PM) *

...Iam not sure what car those engines come out of,... yet ,..Thanks

Some of the Legacy's and all of the LL Bean versions of the Legacy Outback wagons.
Mueller
Back when I played with Datsun 510s I bought a JDM and had good results.

Jon Watts bought a JDM Subaru motor that ended up being an oddball Austraila and Japan only model I think, mostly with the intake and exhaust but enough to cause some issues.

So if you do go JDM, make sure the motor is used or compatible with US motors or you might have a hard time getting parts for it.
rnellums
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 3 2015, 08:20 AM) *

Some of the Legacy's and all of the LL Bean versions of the Legacy Outback wagons.

2001-2002 ECU's are a bit easier to use as the 2003 has an additional external fuel pump control (never figured out why really...). Oh, and they changed the ECU Pin out every year so make sure you have the wiring diagram for the specific year you will be using if you re-wire your own ECU.
76-914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 3 2015, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 3 2015, 08:20 AM) *

2001-2002 ECU's are a bit easier to use as the 2003 has an additional external fuel pump control (never figured out why really...). Oh, and they changed the ECU Pin out every year so make sure you have the wiring diagram for the specific year you will be using if you re-wire your own ECU.

HaHa. I'd forgotten about that. FWIW, Ross and I were neck n neck on our builds and I keep giving him bad info thinking his EZ had a fuel pump controller. I think that was about the time he quit asking me about Subaru's. av-943.gif
flmont
Hell,... 76-914 that's an honest mistake,..I don't even know about any of that stuff yet,....Can those engines be turbo'd just curious,..in case I fall off the deep,..end on the more Power,..thing..LOL...Thanks Guys, very helpful..!!!!
rnellums
Don't worry Kent, I'll be coming around with a bunch of annoying aftermarket ac questions sooner or later smile.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Dec 3 2015, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 2 2015, 08:17 AM) *

FLMONT,

I have an engine/ecu/harness out here in Los Angeles if you feel like taking a drive.
PM me if you're interested.

-Robert

yep and that's the way to go,any engine that has been running recently is a better bet that story about running engine taken out of a car in in my shed for 1 yr is a recipe for more cost.....rust and corrosion move on regardless.
I'am surprised @ people that state and engine left uncovered outside will be fine then say not sure if it turns WTF.gif ,it turns ok...into scrap metal.
76-914
QUOTE(flmont @ Dec 3 2015, 09:08 PM) *

Hell,... 76-914 that's an honest mistake,..I don't even know about any of that stuff yet,....Can those engines be turbo'd just curious,..in case I fall off the deep,..end on the more Power,..thing..LOL...Thanks Guys, very helpful..!!!!

The EZ series are high compression engines so a piston/rod change out would be in order. My main concern would be the head work required to turbo one. There is a fair amount of restriction built into that single "exhaust port" head they employ. The EG series, with individual exhaust ports, might be a better mate for a turbo set up!
Ross, winter is a good time to do the AC as it is parked anyway. Holler when your ready. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.