Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good news and bad news
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
First the good news, I got the old engine out and painted the engine tin on the new engine. I was going to use the clutch from the old engine cause i thought it was pretty good, but i got a little surprise. Here are some pics.
grasshopper
old engine out
grasshopper
looked at the clutch and looky there, a nice big crack headbang.gif
ws91420
Sorry about the clutch man. Better now than in the Walmart parking lot. I see you have a 65 barracuda. I used to have a 64 w/ the Vailant badges on the steering wheel and below the back window where the barracuda is on the later cars.
d914
where in Ga you moving to?????? Your one of the few who has as many cars as I do!!!!! How to you say Fleet insurance...
grasshopper
unfortunatly i'm moving to the middle of no where, Valdosta GA....ya, the barracuda was my wifes fathers. It was in pretty bad shape when i got it. It is a slant-6 with gold exterior and interior.
ws91420
The one I had the PO put in a 318 and a 704 trans out of 73. Ran great except it fried alternators. After I sold it and started working at a parts store(Auto Zone) I found out why. Running a 73 alt w/ a 64 volt reg. But if I hadn't sold it I wouldn't have my teener.
grasshopper
I've had to replace my Alternator in that thing twice....mabey its just the car dry.gif (havn't had to replace it in my 914 though biggrin.gif )
ws91420
The 64 VR was trying to limit the 73 alt too much which in turn burned up the alt. 46 amp vr and 65 amp alt i believe.
grasshopper
so why did you sell it in the first place? other than the alt. problems
ws91420
Was having probs w/ the alt. It sat and the float stuck pulled off the carb and took it to work to pull it apart and some jerk dropped the carb and broke the mounting ear and wouldn't own up to it. Moved from Leesburg, VA to Lynchburg, VA and it wouldn't make the trip. Saw the teener while commuting from Lynchburg to Leesburg once a week.. Wife said could have the teener but the cuda had to go. In process of no longer having the wife now.
rhodyguy
i have never seen a picture of a complete late model exhaust icon8.gif . couple that with the 2 boat anchors that pass for late heat exchangers and you're lugging around a lot of steel. your tin looks swell! nothing quite as nice as putting on clean, newly finnished parts.

k
grasshopper
enjoy how the engine tin looks now, it'll get all scratched up putting the engine in. rolleyes.gif . That exhaust SUCKED! when i seperated it from the heat exhchanger, i could hear the rust rolling around in it. Oh ya, and add the crappy exhaust with the VW bus engine in it..... mad.gif and you get a piece of shit... and the end was crumpled....found some more rust too..... headbang.gif here are some more pics.
grasshopper
here a pick of the before for you joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.