Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: USPS Shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
I hadn't intended on sending my calipers out to get done. Wasn't really in the budget
and I have rebuilt enough 911 calipers, I figured I'd just do them myself.
After looking closely at them and removing the bleeder screws
I realized that sitting in a box since 1988 or so, time hadn't been good to them.
I packed them up in a Flat Rate Box and sent all 4 off to Utah.. I even insured the package for 1000.00.
Supposedly 3 day priority mail.
Tracking showed I dropped them off locally on Oct. 17th and that night they went to a sorting station....
Then NOTHING.....
No sign of them for well over a week.
I called the Post Office and opened inquires, but nothing...
They finally arrived Oct 26th
Tracking went from "in transit" to delivered, just like that.
I was just happy they weren't lost.
Coming back.. 2 boxes, sent the same time..left the 25th of Nov..
I realize there was a Holiday in there... But the box with the rears arrived yesterday.. Dec 1st.
The other box with the fronts still shows "In Transit" and delivery date still shows Sat. Nov. 28th.
I'm glad the rears made it first....
The fronts can be replaced a lot easier, if they did get lost...

Here is a quick "before and after" picture of 1 rear before and both rears now.
Amazing....... Was so worth sending them......

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
agree.gif

Any big box items or higher dollar value items (over $300) I just ship FedEx. Yes they have lost a package or two over the years, but t least I was able to track every step of the way. Usually I find their shipping costs to be cheap than USPS.

Eric does a great job with the calipers. You will be happy you sent them out to him.
rhodyguy
Why were they shipped in 2 boxes? They should have both gone in 1 flat rate box. Be thankful you received them. $250 per core? Sounds like you expected them to get lost. It's not like for profit carriers don't screw things up.
era vulgaris
That's bizarre. I ship everything for work (VERY expensive, several thousand dollar value, custom designed pro audio equipment) via fully insured USPS Priority to everywhere in the US and worldwide. I ship multiple units per month and I've never had anything in the continental US take longer than 3 days, and they've never damaged an item in 8 years.

I've used Fedex and UPS twice, several years ago, at customer request, and they smashed the living hell out of the shipments and refused to pay out the insurance on one of them. I would never use either of them ever again. Plus they're way more expensive than USPS.

Calipers look great though! beerchug.gif
gandalf_025
Try replacing 914-6 rear calipers these days.. The rears were the ones I
was worried about. In retrospect I would insure them for double that
if I knew I would have had such an issue with them getting there.
rhodyguy
I had a set of cylinders disappear between the distribution center and the buyer's porch via FedEx. Never got resolved. They said yes, buyer said no. I was not compensated with the 'included' insurance. Like above, I've always been happy with the flat rate but considering the volume the USPS handles, a problem occurring is not to be unexpected.
Mike Fitton
FedEx is way better and cheaper for large items. If you do not package fragile items so they can be dropped off a 4 story building then it is your fault. I just shipped a rear bumper from Illinois to Minnesota via FedEx for $30.00
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 2 2015, 12:22 PM) *

FedEx is way better and cheaper for large items. If you do not package fragile items so they can be dropped off a 4 story building then it is your fault. I just shipped a rear bumper from Illinois to Minnesota via FedEx for $30.00

I disagree. Price out a 24x18x12 box that weighs 18lbs for 2 day shipping, fully insured for $3K, and see who is the cheapest. I'll save you the trouble: it's USPS Priority.
gandalf_025
Here is a screen grab of the tracking for the box with the front calipers
in it. I took this grab at 12:30pm Weds the second of Dec.

Click to view attachment

stugray
I have had nothing but GOOD experience with USPS.
Mikey914
If you ship enough something is bound to happen. I've had USPS send a packahe to Hawaii that was going to NC. They got it there, but notice the delivery time is not guaranteed.

Hit and miss. Fedex will at least pay you if they loose something, ad they do ocassionally.

I used to fly freight for UPS, seing what happens in a hub I'm amazed with the volume of freight they move. As a percentage the losses are small, but they do happen.
Mark
JeffBowlsby
agree.gif No carrier is perfect, but no real issues with USPS Priority Mail, fully insured always. UPS and FedEx have been a pain and I avoid them. DHL for European deliveries is excellent.

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 2 2015, 11:05 AM) *

I have had nothing but GOOD experience with USPS.

era vulgaris
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 2 2015, 02:16 PM) *

Fedex will at least pay you if they loose something, ad they do ocassionally.

Maybe they paid you, but they never paid me the $2K that my shipment was insured for. It arrived at my customer's residence looking like it had been dropped from an airplane. Mind you I package my shipments as though I'm trying to prevent raw eggs from being broken. For it to have ended up in the condition it was in, it must have been brutally and intentionally negligently mishandled.
Then they picked it up from him to "inspect" it. ("Inspections" by Fedex appear to involve running the item over with a truck). When they returned it to him after "inspecting" it, it was in even worse shape than before. Then they denied the insurance claim. Two thousand dollars - poof - gone like that because they said so. Screw them. I avoid Fedex like the plague.

Word of advice: if you ever require a shipper to an inspect an item for an insurance claim, DO NOT let them take it into their custody. Insist that they come to your residence and inspect the damage on site. Otherwise your item will likely be returned to you in even worse shape after being inspected.
toolguy
I have a part time machining and machine tool business. When I sell, I usually take advantage of the USPS Flat Rate process if my items will fit in their designated boxes. . This is advertised by USPS to be Priority Air Mail with a 2 day promised delivery. . Or so they say.
On several occasions when shipping a heavy box, like 40 pounds of steel which is withing their guidelines, the tracking indicates they actually sent it surface or trucked, rather than the 2 day Air Mail. .

On another box I sent to Michigan using the 2 day Flat Rate service, the package went to Florida, then Texas, then up to Michigan. . took a couple of weeks to get there, and with days passing with no tracking updates. .

And when I asked about where my package went , I got " You'll need to wait a few more days" for an explanation.

Face it, it's the government and they don't really care. .

Fed Ex is even worse. . insurance is a rip off with them. .
When I had a $3500 set of Webbers mashed when being sent to PMO, the box looked like it was drop kicked and crushed on the corners. Their insurance department determined that the items were not packed well enough. .
I showed them the 2 inches of foam rubber inside the box on all sides. . their reply was, "Obviously you didn't use enough foam. If you had of used the correct amount the contents wouldn't have been damaged". . WTF.gif
pdlightning
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 2 2015, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 2 2015, 02:16 PM) *

Fedex will at least pay you if they loose something, ad they do ocassionally.

Maybe they paid you, but they never paid me the $2K that my shipment was insured for. It arrived at my customer's residence looking like it had been dropped from an airplane. Mind you I package my shipments as though I'm trying to prevent raw eggs from being broken. For it to have ended up in the condition it was in, it must have been brutally and intentionally negligently mishandled.
Then they picked it up from him to "inspect" it. ("Inspections" by Fedex appear to involve running the item over with a truck). When they returned it to him after "inspecting" it, it was in even worse shape than before. Then they denied the insurance claim. Two thousand dollars - poof - gone like that because they said so. Screw them. I avoid Fedex like the plague.

Word of advice: if you ever require a shipper to an inspect an item for an insurance claim, DO NOT let them take it into their custody. Insist that they come to your residence and inspect the damage on site. Otherwise your item will likely be returned to you in even worse shape after being inspected.

Eric did my rears and converted them to the 308 style. Beautiful work, great guy!
Mikey914
Not saying the claim process is easy. I've had issues with UPS and Fedex as well as USPS. USPS will contineously pass the buck and I only ship items that I can replace or have lower values with them.
They all have issues, UPS has actually set up a seporate "insurance" company that they own to seporate them from the transaction. At least Fedex handles it in house. I have had to make a call to my rep from time to time, but it almost always gets resolved. That being said, they are not treating me like a joe off the street, but yeah they all can suck.
rhodyguy
Why did it take so long, from the 19th, pre shipment info sent, for the pickup on the 25th in sandy? Picked up on the day before a 4 day weekend. Then, it left SLC at 12:24 AM on the 27th. so...still no fronts today? Are you trying to speak with a USPS rep on the phone? You might consider going to a post office. Better than terminal hold on the phone.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 2 2015, 02:59 PM) *

Face it, it's the government and they don't really care. .

Eh, yes and no. They are an independent agency of the gov't but don't receive taxpayer funding. They basically operate as a private company, but are subject to Congressional oversight. Not a gov't agency in the way the DMV is, for example.
gandalf_025
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 2 2015, 03:14 PM) *

Why did it take so long, from the 19th, pre shipment info sent, for the pickup on the 25th in sandy? Picked up on the day before a 4 day weekend. Then, it left SLC at 12:24 AM on the 27th. so...still no fronts today? Are you trying to speak with a USPS rep on the phone? You might consider going to a post office. Better than terminal hold on the phone.

No idea about the pre shipment info..
Both Boxes were picked up the 25th.. 1 day Holiday..
USPS worked Fri, Sat.

Now at 3:30pm, Tracking says the same it has since Nov. 27th at 12:40am...
"In Transit"
Box with rear calipers arrived here yesterday.. It had it's own tracking #

Calling or going to the Post Office is useless. They can see the same tracking info you can on-line.
I called many times when they shipped from here.... Opening a claim .... They have 3 days to reply...
When I called, they also mentioned something about proving value for the Insurance.?

Like I said.. The rears made it fine.. The fronts may take more time ???
Just interesting how they went different directions...
rhodyguy
Hope your fronts turn up. your PMD invoice should be proof enough of their value.
7TPorsh
Current example of FedX. Steering wheel from Bev Hills to Glendale - like 9 miles. Wheel has been all over and still shows est date next week:

Arrived at FedEx location
Dec-02-15, 03:46 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST CHINO, CA 91708

Dec-01-15, 07:04 PST, BLOOMINGTON, CA 92316

Left FedEx origin facility
Nov-30-15, 21:59 PST, PACOIMA, CA 91331

Nov-30-15, 19:07 PST, PACOIMA, CA 91331

Picked up
Nov-30-15, 16:49 PST, PACOIMA, CA 91331

Tendered at FedEx location
Nov-30-15, 16:30 PST, BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90212
colingreene
Fedex does not care.
Ive paid the "insurance" and they told me tough more than once.
USPS Sucks in a lot of ways but they have never lost anything for me yet.
rhodyguy
You paid to ship an item 9 miles? It's 7 miles to my local distribution center. 1/2 hour drive on a good day. Was it shipped from a FEDEX 'office' store? The time line on the wheel is pretty weird.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 2 2015, 01:42 PM) *

You paid to ship an item 9 miles? It's 7 miles to my local distribution center. 1/2 hour drive on a good day. Was it shipped from a FEDEX 'office' store? The time line on the wheel is pretty weird.

Ya shipping was included and driving around BH this time of year is not something sane people do.

Didn't know why he used fedX on such a close shipment.
r_towle
USPS uses UPS for long haul to reduce costs.
The two tracking systems are not tied together, so what you see is what you get.

I guess it's because computers are too complicated and tying two tracking system data bases together is not possible in 2015, cause aliens.
altitude411
I had purchased some parts from one of our well known vendors that included a pair of pivot shafts shipped USPS priority. The box arrived with the side blown out and re-taped. The pivot shafts were missing. I went to my Postmaster and she checked the two hubs the package was processed through and ..... nothing. They disappeared into thin air. How does that shit happen. Some postal employee finds a couple of steel rods laying on the floor or jammed in a package sorter and just throws them in a trash can? blink.gif confused24.gif hissyfit.gif

Hope you get your calipers back. Maybe some fucher at the post office is building a car one piece at a time... dry.gif
partwerks
I've found that http://packages.speedeedelivery.com/index.php is cost effective, but have a real limited coverage area at this point in time. An estimate for the same package, they shipped it for $6.15, and UPS wanted $19.00.

According to this, sometimes the priority mail is more cost effective than the flat rate, depending on the zone?
http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles...lly-Save-Money-
bulitt
I have a package lost in the USPS network as we speak. However this time of the year is peak season for all these delivery companies. The volume of goods being delivered, holiday packages, cards, is astronomical. No one wants to tell little Eric his Salmon colored sneakers won't be under the tree on Christmas morning sad.gif
eitnurg
I have been getting parts shipped from the USA to Europe on & off since I rebuilt a VW engine in the late 70s: the priority over such a distance is COST not time. So what if it takes a month, shipping by sea freight means the cost is still reasonable (and taxes and duties at importation are also levied on the freight cost).
The golden rule was via 'USPS Surface Mail': unfortunately this option now seems to have disappeared, it's 'air, or nothing'. The suppliers are no good, they just ship by FedEx or whatever, and leave it up to them. The people at FedEx are classified as brain-transplant donors. The cost can be HORRENDOUS: heavy items (wheels etc) are now out of bounds. Is this service still offered, or should I just give up trying to find it?
rhodyguy
If you guys want to save $ on FedEx shipping open an account. They're FREE, tied to a credit card and you never need cash. Be creative with packaging and learn how to make appropriate sized boxes. A tape measure and a bread knife work swell for sizing boxes. Invest in a 50' roll of bubble wrap. Want to save more $? Avoid FedEx 'office' stores like the plague.
76-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 3 2015, 06:25 AM) *

If you guys want to save $ on FedEx shipping open an account. They're FREE, tied to a credit card and you never need cash. Be creative with packaging and learn how to make appropriate sized boxes. A tape measure and a bread knife work swell for sizing boxes. Invest in a 50' roll of bubble wrap. Want to save more $? Avoid FedEx 'office' stores like the plague.

agree.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 3 2015, 07:36 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

Shipped a box from N Cal to S Cal last years.
On-line shipping estimates for Fed-Ex, UPS & USPS were all over $20 with Fed-Ex cheapest at $23 if I dropped off at Fed-Ex shipping center, not a box store.
Shipped it Fed-Ex thru a friend with an account and cost under $8 and Fed-Ex picked it up.

AndyB
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 2 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Try replacing 914-6 rear calipers these days.. The rears were the ones I
was worried about. In retrospect I would insure them for double that
if I knew I would have had such an issue with them getting there.

My only question is why were they shipped back in two different boxes? Would of made sense to wrap them and ship the order in one flat rate box.
gandalf_025
Now Thursday the 3rd of December. 9:30 pm. Still
no sign of the front calipers. Tracking still shows no
update. Says "In Transit".
Rears arrived 2 days ago..
7TPorsh
Still waiting....seems FedX handed it off to USPS....this is not efficient at all.

Accepted by U.S. Postal Service

Dec-03-15, 18:58 PST, GLENDALE, CA 91201

Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service

Dec-03-15, 17:00 PST 91201

In transit to U.S. Postal Service

Dec-03-15, 15:09 PST, GLENDALE, CA 91201

Departed FedEx location

Dec-03-15, 13:31 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST CHINO, CA 91708

Dec-02-15, 03:46 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST CHINO, CA 91708

Dec-01-15, 07:04 PST, BLOOMINGTON, CA 92316

Left FedEx origin facility

Nov-30-15, 21:59 PST, PACOIMA, CA 91331

Nov-30-15, 19:07 PST, PACOIMA, CA 91331

Picked up

Nov-30-15, 16:49 PST, PACOIMA, CA 91331

Tendered at FedEx location

Nov-30-15, 16:30 PST, BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90212
gandalf_025
Front calipers just arrived.
Friday night the 4th of Dec. at 4:30
That is what passes for 2 day priority mail
these days.
Mikey914
At least they showed up our you would be spending Christmas in one of the 7 circles of claims hell. You dodged a bullet.
gandalf_025
Actually wouldn't be me filing the claim...
I didn't ship them..
I just didn't receive them..
The sender would be dealing with the USPS..
He would be the one that insured them.....
EdwardBlume
I have a Fed Up box coming that was due yesterday... just reset for Tue.... we'll see....
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 3 2015, 09:36 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif x2
zambezi
FED EX freight messed up a hard top for an Austin Healey I restored. It was on a pallet and covered in shipping blankets. They put a forklift right through it and mangled it all up. I had insurance but was told that was only if it was outright lost. Damage claims for freight are calculated by the pound. I think they offered me 5$ a pound. The hard top weights about 40 pounds. I was very pissed. About 2 months of back and forth and all I could get out of them was refunding of the shipping charges. I then had the fun of trying to repair all the damage. I was originally only going to have to strip it down, paint it, and put on new seals.

From this....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

To this!!!
Click to view attachment
zambezi
It all turned out well in the end but Fed Ex is a joke

From Fed Ex...
Click to view attachment

To Restored!!
Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
I once had an overnight letter show tracked at my local post office. I went to retrieve it, ended up in the back of the post office with the guy who handles that. He said, the letter was not there, he scanned the sheet of what should have been on the truck, they don't actually scan the actual packages. I said that was a pretty stupid way to track things and he argued it much more efficent to scan the manifest than to scan all those packages, nevermind many of those packages were never actually there...
No wonder they are losing millions.
BillC
A couple of weeks ago, I came home to find this:
Click to view attachment

The boxes wouldn't fit into the mailbox, so the postal worker decided this was much better than taking them to the front door like he was supposed to.

My wife took that pic down to the local post office the next day to show the supervisor, and her first response was a stunned "Oh... my... ". Apparently, the local post office has received many complaints about this particular postal worker (this was not our regular mail carrier), and she had been supervising/instructing him closely that morning, but he went back to his old ways as soon as she stopped watching him.

And, ya gotta love the irony of "Do the job right" right there in front of his face as he did this.
LowBridge
HAAHA... that is EPIC and the USPS cannot figure out why they are losing money

QUOTE(BillC @ Dec 7 2015, 08:12 PM) *

A couple of weeks ago, I came home to find this:
Click to view attachment

The boxes wouldn't fit into the mailbox, so the postal worker decided this was much better than taking them to the front door like he was supposed to.

My wife took that pic down to the local post office the next day to show the supervisor, and her first response was a stunned "Oh... my... ". Apparently, the local post office has received many complaints about this particular postal worker (this was not our regular mail carrier), and she had been supervising/instructing him closely that morning, but he went back to his old ways as soon as she stopped watching him.

And, ya gotta love the irony of "Do the job right" right there in front of his face as he did this.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.