Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Ignition Switch in late 914 dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Looking for someone that did the 911 ingnition installation in a late 914. Got questions about available space behind dash, steering wheel lock ( or delete), and wiring.

My plan is to do the install but not change the steering wheel parts... smile.gif
mepstein
I don't think you can mix and match 914 & 911 like your sugesting.
screenguy914
Source a repro 356 or early 911 ignition switch. You can lock the steering wheel with an aftermarket lock bar.

If you want an OEM switch, there's gotta be several thousand 914s waiting to be parted or rebuilt.

Sherwood
914Sixer
You have to have -6 or modified 69-73 911 steering column to use your part. Requires a lot mix and match stuff. Best bet is what Sherwood said. You only have to drill one hole. Other way requires ignition area cut off 911 dash and welded to 914 dash.
r_towle
Deja vu?
ClayPerrine
It was me. But I had a 914/6 dash frame to start with. I cut a hole for the vent on the left side, and spliced in the vent opening on the right side.

I had to move the emergency flasher switch to the right of the column, as there was only room for the headlight switch, fog light switch, and the ignition switch on the left.

Also, I had to make a 914/6 column. I used a early 911 column, cut the mounts off of it, and welded it to a 914/4 mount. It works, but I had to trim down the 911 clamshells to clear the instrument cluster.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It was worth it to get the key moved to the correct side. If someone made the stamping for the area around the ignition switch, it could be done using a stock 914/4 dash frame.

mepstein
"If someone made the stamping for the area around the ignition switch, it could be done using a stock 914/4 dash frame. "

Would a piece cut from a 911 dash work the same? We have a couple 911 shells I can cut from.
dflesburg
I did it too. Years ago

somewhere John has a thread about doing his.

jim_hoyland
My original plan was to only mount the switch and not modify the steering column to accept the steering wheel lock; that's beyond my budget. Would like to have the metal dash part that accepts the switch though.
rick 918-S
The stamped sheet metal part is a real challenge. It is a very non-symmetrical if that's the word. I was presented with some foil imprints and an epoxy plug the shape of the stamping but I needed more detail to be able to come up with a stamp. I now have a 6 but it's complete and I really don't feel like tearing it down to the frame to get a good mold.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2015, 06:07 AM) *

"If someone made the stamping for the area around the ignition switch, it could be done using a stock 914/4 dash frame. "

Would a piece cut from a 911 dash work the same? We have a couple 911 shells I can cut from.

Different angle on the steering column.
mr914
I made a bondo spash of my 6 dash for Harpo a few years ago.

His plan was to make a couple of cardboard templates, cut out sheet metal and weld-er-up.

Not sure if he ever got it done.

Ive still got the bondo mold. If anyone wants it. PM me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.