Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unexpected longitudinal hole!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I started today with the intention of flaring the right rear fender to match the left rear. After I took the paint off, I removed the rocker panel.

There was a rusty spot.

I poked it.

It crumbled.

I opened up the hole to get to good metal, and to access the inside. The funny thing is that the rest of the long is solid. If it's battery acid related I would expect a hole into the top, and then a hole out the bottom. No hole in the top, bottom or inside, but a hole in the outside. It's made of two layers, so my current theory is that water/battery acid seeped down between the two layers and rusted them simultaneously.

So now I had a hole that had to be fixed. First I cleaned out the inside and put por-15 on everything I could reach in there. Then I made a cardboard template slightly larger than the hole. I decided that putting the patch on the outside wouldn't do because I could only weld to the outer layer of longituinal. The template was too big to go inside in one piece, so I cut it in half. Then I used the template to cut two peices of 10 ga. steel, which I bent to fit the shape of the long. I tack welded a bolt to each piece so I could pull the patches against the inside while I tacked them in place.

After that it was a simple welding job. welder.gif

grasshopper
looks good. I wish my welds looked that good blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 12 2005, 07:12 PM)
looks good. I wish my welds looked that good blink.gif

naaaa, just invite HER over to clean them up for 'ya ...

beer.gif Andy
scotty b
Seems to me that ifin the two original layers are 18 & 20 gauge you should have used 1 layer of 38 gauge as your replacement?? confused24.gif

finger.gif It's a joke for cryin out loud! laugh.gif
CptTripps
I did that exact repair about a month ago.

Don't forget a seam sealer....just in case.

VERY Nice job...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.