Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lcjo73914
Has anybody rebuilt the front weatherstrip channel using fiberglass?
Anywhere that I can find out on how to rebuilt it?

Thanks
Dave_Darling
Please don't do that. Fix it right, with steel. If you can't weld, find a buddy who can, or take the car to a good shop.

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 3 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Please don't do that. Fix it right, with steel. If you can't weld, find a buddy who can, or take the car to a good shop.

--DD

I agree take a hard look at 914 price trends, I'd say 10-15 years (or less) and we are looking at prices going the way of the 356/911.
URY914
It's been tried before and fiberglass will crack as will bondo.
forrestkhaag
Agreed: Stay with metal. Once you go glass, you've entered a morass.

IMS (Industrial Metal Supply) sells sheet metal in the correct gauge and can bend it on a break or a tin shop will do it for you in the precise channel width needed. The straight pieces are a snap to weld and grind into place and the curved ones take just a little more time to get correct.

When done correctly, this work can only be discerned by the most persnickety concours white glove clad eyeballs.

beerchug.gif

lcjo73914
All right thanks to u all and I will follow your advise.
Thank you
Very much
r_towle
If you mean the crack, nothing will work except welding or the OEM rubber piece.

Rich
lcjo73914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 3 2015, 08:22 AM) *

--DD

Hey thanks Dave for the advises. I did what u asked me to do with the fuel pump, and I recheck the board and the wiring, and guess what? It's working fine. Regarding to the weatherstrip channel, I will use metal.
Again
Thanks
lcjo73914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 3 2015, 05:37 PM) *

If you mean the crack, nothing will work except welding or the OEM rubber piece.

Rich

Thanks
rick 918-S
QUOTE(lcjo73914 @ Dec 4 2015, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 3 2015, 05:37 PM) *

Rich

Thanks

agree.gif Good deal, it's actually part of the structural integrity of the front unit assembly.
flmont
I bought L and R top sections of fender section's ,..you can cut the piece's that you need from those sections, they will be a near perfect fit...????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.