Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Sealer issue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gcthielen
I purchased a windshield and 3m butyl wound ribbon sealer from Sierra Madre last year and am now just getting around to installing the chrome trim. It won't quite snap into place and I fear that the sealer is too thick. SM has been very helpful, but has never run into this problem.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Does anyone know what thickness is recommended. The SM bagged sealer did not list the thickness.
Thanks,
George Thielen
Dayton OH
Bonus Video of first start up in 30 years..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71MzugT7l0
worn
QUOTE(Gcthielen @ Dec 3 2015, 08:32 AM) *

I purchased a windshield and 3m butyl wound ribbon sealer from Sierra Madre last year and am now just getting around to installing the chrome trim. It won't quite snap into place and I fear that the sealer is too thick. SM has been very helpful, but has never run into this problem.
Does anyone know what thickness is recommended. The SM bagged sealer did not list the thickness.
Thanks,
George Thielen
Dayton OH

How warm is your garage? I just did the rear window at around 60 and it was harder that way.
ChrisFoley
You probably need a real warm place in the sun to soften the butyl tape, and press the windshield in a little further.
Gcthielen
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 3 2015, 12:10 PM) *

You probably need a real warm place in the sun to soften the butyl tape, and press the windshield in a little further.

I installed the windshield back in the summer...currently at 55-66 , the windshield wont budge now for sure.
ChrisFoley
A couple of infrared heat lamps aimed at the windshield might do the trick.
tweet
Hairdryer or heat gun perhaps? You can control how much and where you want the heat.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tweet @ Dec 3 2015, 03:08 PM) *

Hairdryer or heat gun perhaps? You can control how much and where you want the heat.

That doesn't work. The entire seal length needs to be warm all at once.
Mueller
Electric blanket?
turk22
great video!
porschetub
QUOTE(Gcthielen @ Dec 4 2015, 05:32 AM) *

Thanks,
George Thielen
Dayton OH

are the trim clips properly in place or jammed up with the sealer,and by the way the trim needs to be carefully test fitted and adjusted to snap in place,no one can remove it without bending it,maybe you already know that however.
Good luck,appears Chris has been there???
dangrouche
I had used 3/8" 3M butyl.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Dec 4 2015, 02:56 AM) *

I had used 3/8" 3M butyl.

I like the 3/8" better than 5/16" for windshields.
When the glass is pushed in to the correct position it provides a nice wide contact strip on both the windshield and the frame.
However, it does require some effort to press in to the correct position - even when in the sun on a warm day.
Gcthielen
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 4 2015, 01:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Gcthielen @ Dec 4 2015, 05:32 AM) *

Thanks,
George Thielen
Dayton OH

are the trim clips properly in place or jammed up with the sealer,and by the way the trim needs to be carefully test fitted and adjusted to snap in place,no one can remove it without bending it,maybe you already know that however.
Good luck,appears Chris has been there???

No sealer in the clips...the trim was removed by the PO and appears to be pretty straight.
Gcthielen
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 3 2015, 09:56 PM) *

great video!

Thanks!
My buddy did a great job with it...but he's a pro.
George
r_towle
It's been a long time since I looked, but are the clips supposed to be flush with the top plane of the windshield or are they sticking out proud?

I am asking for this thread, maybe he can find only certain spots that are wrong, or at least have a target height to aim for if he uses heat or removes it and redoes the windshield install.
Mikey914
The material needs to be warm and the windshield needs to be set at the proper height off the bottom (depth). There is a write up on it here that I put the pages of the maintenance manual in, but here it is again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.