Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Atlanta Perimeter Grand Opening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
Had the chance to attend the Jim Ellis Porsche Atlanta Perimeter Grand Opening tonight. They were looking for older/vintage cars to display so I offered up the '96 993 Twin Turbo and the '73 914. They asked me to bring the 993 but not the 914. Admittedly the 10-12 cars there were great examples of vintage collector porsches (except for the 944) but really would have enjoyed it if they would have wanted us to display the 914 also. Ah well.....It was a very nice event.

The white 993 is ours.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Typical and disappointing - that would have been a great opportunity to take a stand (for the teener - both or NONE). Believe me, they weren't doing you any favors "including" you and your 993 - vice versa actually Sir. Did it cross your mind to decline? Sad commentary.

Tony
dflesburg
they wouldn't know cool if it fell on them. snubbing the 914 these days only shows ignorance.
Its too bad some of you are stuck in the 914 world and can't appreciate "progress " within the breed.
Cracker
You obviously are missing the point (completely)...including a streamlined VW Bug (aka 356), numerous early 911's (from the same era as the 914), and 20-year cars (not classics by any measure) has nothing to do with "progress" within the breed. What is escaping you pray tell? Please, try much harder than that... shades.gif

That was an obvious snub and should not be celebrated (with pics and such) on a 914 enthusiast site. No?

It might not be the case with the OP but some 914 owners have too much 911-blood running through their veins.

Tony

QUOTE(396 @ Dec 4 2015, 09:50 AM) *

Its too bad some of you are stuck in the 914 world and can't appreciate "progress " within the breed.
boxsterfan
Would have been interesting if you had offered up only the 914 and see if they snubbed just that. Since you gave them a choice of the 993 (a very cool car) and a 914 they had a choice.

Of course, they could have said BOTH!!
914Next
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 4 2015, 09:58 AM) *

You obviously are missing the point (completely)...including a streamlined VW Bug (aka 356), numerous early 911's (from the same era as the 914), and 20-year cars (not classics by any measure) has nothing to do with "progress" within the breed. What is escaping you pray tell? Please, try much harder than that... shades.gif

That was an obvious snub and should not be celebrated (with pics and such) on a 914 enthusiast site. No?

It might not be the case with the OP but some 914 owners have too much 911-blood running through their veins.

Tony

QUOTE(396 @ Dec 4 2015, 09:50 AM) *

I respect your view, Tony. In the end I just think we're far better off taking the high road. Was it an obvious snub? Perhaps. I'm not really sure that it was though and in some ways I don't even care. Just would have been nice if it had happened. I'm as proud of my 914 as I am of the Turbo (in fact in some ways even more proud of the 914 due to the fact that its such a clean original example).

As for sharing pics, my view was that we're all Porsche fans here and thought you would love seeing pics of great cars. As others have said here, our cars have come along way in being appreciated within the porsche and collector community. Its all good...
Elliot Cannon
I don't think it was a deliberate snub. They just don't care about the 914. You know, "the Volkswagen Porsche". biggrin.gif (You should have brought the 914 anyway) first.gif
Cracker
All good Steve...I'll look forward to meeting you in person since we are both in the Atlanta area. Have a great weekend.

PS: Certainly, my response was a little strong...if it offended, I'm sorry. beerchug.gif

Tony
Larmo63
"What is a 914?"

-Typical Porsche Snob
914Next
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 4 2015, 11:30 PM) *

All good Steve...I'll look forward to meeting you in person since we are both in the Atlanta area. Have a great weekend.

PS: Certainly, my response was a little strong...if it offended, I'm sorry. beerchug.gif

Tony

Tony, I didn't realize you were in Atlanta. And no offense at all. I've been admiring your car in some recent threads but hadn't noticed where you were located. Amazing car you have! I have none of those skills so am amazed what some of you can do. Definitely look forward to seeing your car. Maybe at Caffeine and Octane sometime.
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 4 2015, 06:58 AM) *

Tony

Well, here's my view of the world. I've been playing with these cars more years than some of the members age here.
You've got a great looking car and I admire it.
But on my end, I've owned 911s, 914 and 914-6 .
My -6 is a track car with a cage, 3.4, 915, RSR front end and 993 big reds. On the track, it runs as if its on rails.
Then I also spec order a GT2... due to the acceleration, I respect that car more than my -6 as it will kill me faster than my -6... so do I respect the improvements in the breed, hell yes as both can kill me, but the GT2 will do it faster when I don't respect the capability of the car.
When folks talk up and down about my cars ..I simply don't care as I have both and enjoy both .
We are all motor heads, so enjoy the ride.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.