Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bump Steer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
capitolatim
I installed the Weitmeister bump steer rack spacers today, after installing new turbo tie rods. I could not get the steering wheel to turn more than a half each way. I took the kit off and everything is fine.

What's up this this?

Cheers
Tim
SirAndy
The rack spacers are crap because they throw off the steering geometry!

The wheel won't turn because your steering shaft(s) are now in a bind.

In order to make the spacers work at all, you need to loosen the upper u-joint on the steering shaft, the one that comes out of the front firewall under the dash and move the steering shaft *out* of the u-joint until the bind is tolerable, then mark the shaft and re-notch it.

I have done this and it's a pain in the butt to do. It sort of works but there will always be a slight "dead" spot in the steering.
dry.gif

I'd rather use the tie rod end spacers. That way, you don't have to move the steering rack at all and you can fine-tune the level of the tie-rods.
smile.gif
Larmo63

agree.gif

Really good advice!
914_teener
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 3 2015, 09:42 PM) *

agree.gif

Really good advice!

agree.gif +2

Also if you have never serviced your gas tank ....you can easily get at all the steering geometey that way if it is out. Be careful though of the "while you are there" syndrome.
jim_hoyland
What are tie rod end spacers ? Who sells them ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 4 2015, 05:04 PM) *

What are tie rod end spacers ? Who sells them ?

I guess tie rod spacers is the wrong terminology, they're actually adjustable Tie Rod Ends.

Available from many of the usual parts suppliers:

http://www.rennline.com/RSR-Superior-Adjus...-222-RSRBSK001/

IPB Image

IPB Image
jim_hoyland
Good pics, thanks. Seen these before, they make a lot of sense
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.