Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lcjo73914
I'm in north California and kind of cold,and the 914 is going on 4000 rpm when cold, I think is a high.
Should it be this high or not?
If it is, any help where should I star look into.
Could the AAR be stuck?
I did a something recommended to me , which is spray WD40 and give +12V to it, put it in the freezer for 45 minutes and repeat the process, and I did.
Another thing, should the charge warm the AAR a little bit or not?

Thanks
Dave_Darling
4000 RPM is definitely too high. I'm not sure that even a fully-open AAR will raise the idle quite that much!

Anyway: Putting +12V from the wire to the case of the AAR should result in it warming up over the course of ~5 minutes, or maybe less. The heat is what causes the valve to close.

Have you checked that the valve is open when cold, and closed when warm?

--DD
era vulgaris
You've got a serious vacuum leak for your idle to be that high. AAR should raise it to around 1800-2000rpm for a couple minutes of driving before it comes back down to 900.

Check every vacuum hose connection, intake runner boots, intake manifold gaskets, oil filler tower gasket, throttle body gasket, PCV valve, make sure your plenum isn't cracked, etc etc...
dangrouche
check all your vacuum hose ends. systematically examine each end, and if its cracked and long enough, you can trim the hose end(s) and re-attach. it's a vacuum leak somewhere
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.