Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dragging one out of a garage tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
hey, my first post here.

Hello to all, i've benefitted from alot of the posts here.

So tomorrow i'm going to pull a 73 1.7 out of a garage in southern california. No idea how long its been in there, but its got 100k and one light second coat of paint. super straight, with nice interior and trunk areas. No rust, not even in the battery areas. just bad chrome on the front bumper and an old paint job that might polish up. Cant wait to see if it runs, and to see what he'll take for it.

here's my questions,

How can i tell if this is the CA model or the 49 states one?

and is 3000 too much?

peace,
brer
Hawktel
I'd check again for the rust, and if its really rust free, and it runs 2500.

If it don't run, 1000-1500

Ohh and welcome to the club!
brer
its a sweetie.

by the way,

what are those extra footblocks for? the ones that are carpeted and have a little strap on them?
Gint
Sounds like a "steal".

Get the best deal you can. You'll need the extra pennies.

Welcome to the Club!
ejm
what are those extra footblocks for? the ones that are carpeted and have a little strap on them?

Are you sure its a '73? The early cars had a fixed passenger seat. That sounds like the movable foot rest used in '70-71.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (ejm @ Mar 13 2005, 04:52 AM)

Are you sure its a '73? The early cars had a fixed passenger seat. That sounds like the movable foot rest used in '70-71.

agree.gif

What's the vin start with? It should be 47X.......X is the year.
0 - 70
1 -71
2 - 72
3 - 73
4 - 74
5 - 75
6 - 76

Now if it starts with 914....... clap.gif driving.gif
CptTripps
Welcome to the addiction...er...club! biggrin.gif

I've learned to NEVER ask if something is a 'good deal' or not around here. (It's NEVER a 'good deal', unless it's FREE!)

Search for an answer in the archives, but don't ever feel stupid asking questions, and ask often.

Oh...almost forgot...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Enjoy!
Jeffs9146
It looks like a 70. Here is the VIN# from his profile!

470 29 13450

Jeff
jd74914
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 13 2005, 05:53 AM)
Welcome to the addiction...er...club! biggrin.gif

I've learned to NEVER ask if something is a 'good deal' or not around here. (It's NEVER a 'good deal', unless it's FREE!)

Search for an answer in the archives, but don't ever feel stupid asking questions, and ask often.

Oh...almost forgot...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Enjoy!

agree.gif Unless its for free, you paid too much laugh.gif

Yeah, for a running 1.7 w/ little rust I'd say about $2500, of course, we havem't seen it in person so use your own disgression.

Good luck and start saving your pennies aktion035.gif
brer
Hi,

i'll post pictures later today when i get back. I had a quick peek at it yesterday, but today we're going to drag it out of the lair.

the VIN from my profile is another car. Not this one.
It is most def. a 73, and the guy has some parts laying around which is where the footblock was.
I'll get the VIN and make sure i only put $300 in my wallet. smile.gif

Asking if it was a good deal was 50% rhetorical.
I'm 50 percent sure it is.

more later,
brer
brer
or is it a 74...?
hmmm.

brer
Dr Evil
Hey Neighbor wavey.gif Let me know if you need any help. I'd say you got a good deal if all is on the level. The most important part is that it doesn't (so far) sound like you are being taken.

brer
The car is VIN# 4732918258
here's a couple of photos for posterity.
I dont own it yet, but sure am looking forward to it.

brer
brer
the bumper needs to be redone,
brer
the paint has issues and needs to be totally redone to look right.
brer
clean inside though
brer
just surface rust. no holes way down behind or on panel behind the tray. very solid here
brer
othere side has a couple small dings, and a pressure ding in the trunk lid from closing it.
Longitudinals are solid, as well as behind the front tires.
spare time toys
Nice looking car. You are getting it arent you? beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Looks sweet dude...

The side-stripes always crack me up. My wife says "It's the only way they could make the car MORE ugly."

Make sure you get a good deal. Take DrEvil with you to inspect if you can.

Let us know what you end up with. Looks like a great car.
brer
going tomorrow night to see about taking her home. We couldn't get it started, spent hours draining the varnish out of the tank and then the battery he had wouldn't fit. It did turn over once and it ran when it was parked so i think its basically solid.

Who know if this FI should be serviced before running it? any basic things to check before starting?

Rotors are wasted, totally rusted and i'm guessing the calipers are stuck. there was no brake fluid left in the resevoir. tranny fluid level is unknown at this point.

Do these trans. have the side plug for filling? or how to check it?

if someone would like to come along let me know.

peace,
brer
skline
I like it, I would buy it for 3k if it runs. Dont listen to the other jealous guys here, they only wish they had found it and had the money to buy it. Get it, fix it up and drive it!!! Come up to the WCC in 40 days and drive with us. It will be fun.

skline
Talk to Dr. Evil, he can go with you and check it out and I am sure he could even help you get it running.
CptTripps
Does it come with the hockey-stick to hold the frnt trunk open in the pic above? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

skline is right. You can always TRY to get it a little cheaper! I'd have bought it though...That's for sure.
double-a
dude, great find! if it's been sitting for a long time, there's likely to be lots to do to get it on the road, just take your time and don't get discouraged. the car is better off in your hands than in that garage. i recently found a car in a garage and brought it home. wouldn't start at first, so i replaced the tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, vacuum lines, and all the standard tune-up parts. now i've got it on the road running fine, and ready for new suspension. so keep at it, one little thing at a time and you'll have it back on the road.

good find!

~a biggrin.gif
brer
not sure about the hockey stick being part of the deal. I really had my eye on the SPACE ACE machine in the corner. I wanted to finish the deal and tow it home right then, but he had to go to work.

sad.gif
brer
i loved that game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.