huh.gif
ConeDodger
icon_bump.gif
ConeDodger
screwy.gif
ConeDodger
bye1.gif
ConeDodger
santa_smiley.gif looked to be the best turn-out I'd ever seen with both sides of the street filled and some double parking going on...
Only two 914s that I saw. Left coast Eric and the white Oddysee motored one...
Cal
Very cool....thanks for sharing!
SirAndy
Looks like you got there early ...
biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 5 2015, 10:27 PM) *

Looks like you got there early ...
biggrin.gif

Really early Andy. I think I rolled in at 7:30 and out by 10:00. Duty called or I would have stayed. Did you make it out there? biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Great shots Rob ! smile.gif Thanks for sharing; one question, what does RGruppe refer to ?
MartyYeoman
I was thinking of attending today but wasn't sure if it was the correct "alternate" Saturday. I need to benchmark my calendar.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 5 2015, 05:41 PM) *

drooley.gif

Nice 510 restoration with a late model JDM (sr20DET ?) power. Great pics BTW !
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 5 2015, 07:48 PM) *

Great shots Rob ! smile.gif Thanks for sharing; one question, what does RGruppe refer to ?

Jim
The R gruppe "Club" (not factory affiliated) refers to some of the early 911's /big hp lightweights built by the factory, or prepared by privateers for hard core racing, rallying, cafe racers and still able to be street driven (for the most part). The "Club" is invitational only . R gruppe member #1 is Freeman Thomas /automotive designer. I think approx 300 members today. Not for us 914 guys...but wait; Rick has an R gruppe 9146 that he is currently restoring at his shop in MN. I also met 2 guys at Renn 5 that each had a 9146 in the R gruppe ...the other 9146 was a conversion car.
Secret handshakes anyone?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 6 2015, 12:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 5 2015, 05:41 PM) *

drooley.gif

Nice 510 restoration with a late model JDM (sr20DET ?) power. Great pics BTW !

Martin it's actually a very nicely detailed 240SX motor with a ZX 5 speed. There was a second right hand drive Bluebird 510 as well but he just cruised through. I had a long chat with the 510 guy and he looked over the pictures of my 240Z.

You know for such an exclusive club, these are the most welcoming guys I have encountered in the car world...
oldschool
I'm from the M group..... av-943.gif
thieuster
I remember a Chasin' Classic Cars episode with Wayne Carini who attended one of the R Gruppe meetings.

Menno
Cal
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 6 2015, 12:05 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 5 2015, 07:48 PM) *

Jim
The R gruppe "Club" (not factory affiliated) refers to some of the early 911's /big hp lightweights built by the factory, or prepared by privateers for hard core racing, rallying, cafe racers and still able to be street driven (for the most part). The "Club" is invitational only . R gruppe member #1 is Freeman Thomas /automotive designer. I think approx 300 members today. Not for us 914 guys...but wait; Rick has an R gruppe 9146 that he is currently restoring at his shop in MN. I also met 2 guys at Renn 5 that each had a 9146 in the R gruppe ...the other 9146 was a conversion car.
Secret handshakes anyone?

The R Gruppe has over 700 members.....several are good friends of mine here on the east coast. We try and meet once a month for early morning breakfasts followed by fast pase drives afterwards....it's a lot of fun. I believe there are several members that frequent the forum here.
RickS
I am also an R Gruppe member and know several others who own and love their 914s. As everyone here knows the teeners are great cars in their own right. But if you are able to hot-rod a 914 you easily can make a 911 killer. I am always tinkering with my car and look forward to every drive since the car is such a blast.

Since I own an SC and a 914 I am always amused by the the us versus them mentality (914 versus 911 tail dragger snobs) I see a few members exhibit. We are all classic air cooled car guys who enjoy wrenching. We appreciate the engineering that went into our rides and the culture of great support and friendship these cars provide. Many here have all sorts of Porsche products, some quite new and some quite vintage. There is a lot more common ground in appreciating and working our rides than not.

Not expecting to change any minds, just thoughts for consideration.

Click to view attachment
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 6 2015, 09:05 AM) *

I am also an R Gruppe member and know several others who own and love their 914s. As everyone here knows the teeners are great cars in their own right. But if you are able to hot-rod a 914 you easily can make a 911 killer. I am always tinkering with my car and look forward to every drive since the car is such a blast.

Since I own an SC and a 914 I am always amused by the the us versus them mentality (914 versus 911 tail dragger snobs) I see a few members exhibit. We are all classic air cooled car guys who enjoy wrenching. We appreciate the engineering that went into our rides and the culture of great support and friendship these cars provide. Many here have all sorts of Porsche products, some quite new and some quite vintage. There is a lot more common ground in appreciating and working our rides than not.

Click to view attachment

Here..here!!! Well said my friend!! beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Dec 6 2015, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 6 2015, 09:05 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Here..here!!! Well said my friend!! beerchug.gif

But hardly relevant. This is a thread about the R gruppe get-together at EASY... At what point did any "us vs them" get brought up? confused24.gif
PotterPorsche
I've shown up to the EASY events with my 55 oval vw.
RickS

But hardly relevant. This is a thread about the R gruppe get-together at EASY... At what point did any "us vs them" get brought up? confused24.gif

Point taken. Hope I don't start a bad precedent. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.