Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Unrelated Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Hey all..

As some of you know, I've finally picked up my car (after a trip to the body shop) and have been having lots of fun driving her and doing a little bit of fixing.

There are two things I've run across while combing over her that I have questions about:

1) On the drivers side in the engine bay there is an open pipe coming up through the engine bay floor just to the left of the engine its self. When the engine is running there is air being forced through the pipe. On the RIGHT side of the engine, there is a similar pipe, but IT has a cap/bung held by an o-ring clamp.

QUESTION: Should the left side have a bung as well?? Is there something missing?

2) The seat belts on both sides are not retracting correctly. I'd like to get in and try to re-wind and re-spring them, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to get to the spring casings...

QUESTION: What is the process to get to the seat belt wider? Do you need to take the seats completely out to get the back pad out?

Other than these couple things, the car is in EXCELLENT SHAPE! I'm looking forward to my road trip to Texas from my parents in IOWA! dance.gif

I hope you guys can help (I'm sure you can).

Thanks in advance..

Dougie
Bruce Allert
For your #1 question I'll pass. I think I know what you're talking about but can't bring my morning mind to say the right names & phrases rolleyes.gif
For the seat belts try pulling them out as far as they will go. Use some light detergent to scrub them, rinse them &, by using a towle, get as much water out of them as possible. Let them dry before trying to rewind them. If there is any spring left in the retractor they should go back in after cleaning.
bruce
anthony
I bought a new set of seat belts off ebay because mine were shot. I've heard it's practically impossible to refurbish them if the springs are shot. And since this is a safety item I felt I wanted new.
dagdal1967
QUOTE(anthony @ Jun 12 2003, 07:05 AM)
I bought a new set of seat belts off ebay because mine were shot. I've heard it's practically impossible to refurbish them if the springs are shot. And since this is a safety item I felt I wanted new.

Have you installed the Seatbelts? How hard was it to get to them to install them?

And How much did you pay for your seat belts off e-bay?

Thanks for the info!

Doug
john rogers
The belts and retractor from any year 924 will bolt right in. They are usually in much better shape than 914 retractors. I would NOT recommend trying to open the spring housing, you'll get a BIG suprise! The open pipe is the feed for the heating system. Normally there is a blower/fan mounted next to the relay panel and a piece of flex hose from the fan to this opening. When you pull up on the heater switch it grounds the circuit and starts the fan running. Some years have a "Y" at the fan outlet and run a hose to both sides. Good luck
SirAndy
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Jun 12 2003, 06:07 AM)
1) On the drivers side in the engine bay there is an open pipe coming up through the engine bay floor just to the left of the engine its self. When the engine is running there is air being forced through the pipe. On the RIGHT side of the engine, there is a similar pipe, but IT has a cap/bung held by an o-ring clamp.

QUESTION: Should the left side have a bung as well?? Is there something missing?

that's where you get heat from. the "pipe" is the "intake" for your heat-exchangers. you normally should have a fan that blows air into those intakes, preferably on both sides, otherwise the passenger will get frostbite ...

Andy
SirAndy
this might help for #1:
Brad Roberts
There is a guy in SoCal that rebuilds our seat belt assemblies.

I'll try to get his contact info.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh Andy.. you pic is only good for early 914's. The late ones have the fan over under the relay board.

B
anthony
Have you installed the Seatbelts? How hard was it to get to them to install them?

And How much did you pay for your seat belts off e-bay?

They are installed. It was pretty easy. You remove backpad and then all the bolts are exposed. It probably took a couple hours. I think I paid around $100 on ebay.
tahoward
If you take the fan out should you cap that hole up too?
Qarl
My last car I installed 944 seatbelts. The holster was a little shorter, but they worked fine.
stock93
I have a set of 924 seat belts that I'd sell if you want them. Just drop me an email at bmx_01@yahoo.com

John
SirAndy
QUOTE(tahoward @ Jun 12 2003, 05:26 PM)
If you take the fan out should you cap that hole up too?

doesn't matter, really ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.