Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drop the front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
I've been contemplating thoughts of lowering the front of my 73 but wouldn't know where to start.....so I'm asking the best method in doing so. Thank you all!

Steve
Harpo
agree.gif Chris did this on my Koni's
r_towle
Turn the adjuster screws down, nothing else required.
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2015, 05:36 PM) *

Turn the adjuster screws down, nothing else required.

agree.gif

If you do change the ride height, you will have to get the front end realigned. Likely the front wheels will go toe-out if you lower. Many have lowered including me. Just have to remember to get an alignment. I didn't know to do this and burned out a set of POS tires in about 3 weeks.
rgalla9146
Wait just a second.
Modified struts are not the only way to lower our cars and should not be the first choice.
I'm sure Chris does a fine job raising spindles and other modifications to maintain correct geometry on tracked cars. And racing cars.
His racing accomplishments attest to his skill.
I'm sure he would agree that moderate lowering can be accomplished by simply adjusting the the front torsion bars and following up with a 4 wheel alignment.
It depends on your intended use.
Elliot Cannon
If you just want to lower the car a little (as I did), all that's needed is to turn the front suspension adjusting screws for the torsion bars. However if you want to lower it REAL low to do some racing or auto cross, you will want to use the Tangerine Racing procedure and raise the spindles. biggrin.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 6 2015, 03:21 PM) *

If you just want to lower the car a little (as I did), all that's needed is to turn the front suspension adjusting screws for the torsion bars. However if you want to lower it REAL low to do some racing or auto cross, you will want to use the Tangerine Racing procedure and raise the spindles. biggrin.gif

What are the limits? How much is a little for screwing down the torsion adjuster screws and at what point do you want to raise the spindles on your struts?
BeemerSteve
I'll first drop it with the torsion adjusters then an alignment which I thought of doing but didn't think it would drop it lower. I also was going to get a 4 wheel alignment anyway just to make sure things are rolling well.
I bought this car a few months back knowing it needs rust work done but I thought I'd enjoy it for awhile before I do. It'll be the donor car for the rust free body I bought around the same time.
Thanks for all the advise!!!
r_towle
You can lower it to the point that the front a-arm is not quite level.
Any more than that creates geometry issues.

That is pretty low btw.
toolguy
Going low can also make your shocks bottom out. . may need to remove some of the rubber cushion inside the top of the strut tower. .
A good rule of thumb is you want the tie rods to be just very slightly inclined [almost level] towards the steering rack. . no lower than that without doing the spindle reweld deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.