Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seller Ethics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carl456
Once again I feel screwed.

Friday - See posting for a 72 Silver, looked nice, $4000 Canadian, was viewed by 0 people when I looked at the ad. Call immediately and set up to go see the car on Sunday (right after seller got home from church)

Saturday Noon- Called again to confirm the time, confirmed I would bring cash to seal the deal

Sunday - got up early, dropped off kids, drove the 2.5 hours to see the car. Arrived early so we had lunch, called as soon as she was to be home and.....

"Oh, yeah, I forgot to call you this morning. Someone showed up last night and offered more money so I sold it to them."

$$$$ talks I guess. I believe in Karma though.
Drove past, car still in the drive way (looking really nice).
Spent the next 2.5 hours driving home in grumpy mood.

Wasn't meant to be. I guess.

headbang.gif ar15.gif

Will continue the search.
tweet
maybe it sold, maybe not. some sellers will do that to see if they can get you in a bidding war, or just up your price. maybe it is good karma you walked away. be thankful, not upset.
VWTortuga336
I'm in the process of selling or trading my 1970 VW Beetle convertible. I've ran into basically the buyer equivalent of what you are referring to several times over the last few months:

1) Set up a trade for a '65 VW van project. Lots of pics exchanged both ways. Both parties happy with what they see. Call the next morning to finalize the exchange, radio silence.

2) Post the car just for sale, not offering the fact that I'm looking for trades. Lot's of calls asking "what's the absolute lowest you'll sell it for?"

3) Set up a trade for a '65 Mustang project. Very similar situation to issue #1. This time, called to set up the exchange and the guy agreed. I get a text 10 minutes later saying that he's backing out.

4) Set up a trade for a '79 Camaro. This time the guy actually looks at the car and drives it. He really likes it. Says he'll bring his car over in the morning for me to look at it and finalize the deal. I called & texted him a few times that morning before he finally sends a text back saying "my wife just wants me to sell it, not trade it".

I say all that just to say I know what you mean. Being jerked around sucks. I wish people would just be more upfront and not waste anyone's time. Your 2.5 hours worth of drive time lost sucks, but to me it's even more frustrating that you lost your time communicating with the seller when he could of just said "Nah, I'm going to raise the price". bs.gif
mr2by4
QUOTE(Carl456 @ Dec 6 2015, 02:34 PM) *

Once again I feel screwed.

Friday - See posting for a 72 Silver, looked nice, $4000 Canadian, was viewed by 0 people when I looked at the ad. Call immediately and set up to go see the car on Sunday (right after seller got home from church)

Saturday Noon- Called again to confirm the time, confirmed I would bring cash to seal the deal

Sunday - got up early, dropped off kids, drove the 2.5 hours to see the car. Arrived early so we had lunch, called as soon as she was to be home and.....

"Oh, yeah, I forgot to call you this morning. Someone showed up last night and offered more money so I sold it to them."

$$$$ talks I guess. I believe in Karma though.
Drove past, car still in the drive way (looking really nice).
Spent the next 2.5 hours driving home in grumpy mood.

Wasn't meant to be. I guess.

headbang.gif ar15.gif

Will continue the search.

All of this is fine, but what you face as a seller is a bunch of people who call and no-show. People who show up and low ball. People who show up with no cash, no financing and crazy dreams. As a seller, you take first cash. If there is not a deposit, you are not obligated. I know it is frustrating, but that is the way it goes.
I was selling a car and had a guy all fired up to buy it full price. At some point in looking at his finances, or shipping cost, or something, he decided to drop his offer 25%. I said "No thanks." I sold it for 90% of asking price and more than I had hoped for in about a week. That first guy tried to call me again the week the new buyer's transporter was scheduled to pick up the car. Ready to "bail me out". I was very pleased to tell him where he could take his generous offer.
billh1963
The title is a bit misleading...you weren't scammed. There are lots of porsche scam victims these days. Thankfully, you aren't one of them.

In this market you better move fast. Why did you wait until Sunday? You should have gone Friday evening. The seller has no obligation to wait on you. On a hot commodity like a 914 there's a bunch of cash buyers scouring eBay, craigslist, etc. constantly.

I'm sure the right car for you will show up. You better be ready to move on it quickly, however.
Cairo94507
It's a pain in the butt for sure. Communication is the key. I make sure to spend time talking to the seller and if a hot commodity, any 914 really, I always offer a deposit if they are able to provide me sufficient information, photos, videos, etc., of the car which lead me to believe that could be a car to purchase.

I make sure I have email, cell, home numbers and I do not roll out of my driveway until they have confirmed on the day of that the car is there and they are awaiting my arrival. Then I still will send text updates of my ETA, etc., and if at any point they go quiet, I cancel my trip.

All that being said, maybe you dodged a bullet here and there is a perfect one out there waiting for you.
Carl456
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 6 2015, 03:40 PM) *

The title is a bit misleading...you weren't scammed. There are lots of porsche scam victims these days. Thankfully, you aren't one of them.

In this market you better move fast. Why did you wait until Sunday? You should have gone Friday evening. The seller has no obligation to wait on you. On a hot commodity like a 914 there's a bunch of cash buyers scouring eBay, craigslist, etc. constantly.

I'm sure the right car for you will show up. You better be ready to move on it quickly, however.

Agreed, not scammed.
Just frustrated that she made it clear Sunday was when she was available to meet.
I had specifically asked her to call me if the car sold before I got there.
Just frustrated.
Scammed is a bad word to use on forums as it is much worse.

914Sixer
Well at least you did not show up like I did only to find the seller was going to have auction with out telling the people showing up. I told him I did not appreciate the way he did business. Left immediately and made 1 1/2 drive home.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 6 2015, 05:10 PM) *

Well at least you did not show up like I did only to find the seller was going to have auction with out telling the people showing up. I told him I did not appreciate the way he did business. Left immediately and made 1 1/2 drive home.

That has happened to me numerous times, about a dozen of us in the driveway with a seller rubbing his hands together waiting for the "auction" to start, his asking price is the opening bid. I walk, normally showing a middle finger.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 6 2015, 07:10 PM) *

That's when the seller's greed kicks in. They realized they could get more for the car than they originally had it listed for. I've found that there aren't many people out there that will stick to a deal once it is initiated. I was very pleasantly surprised when I joined this community and found that people here actually do beerchug.gif
PotterPorsche
U have to place a deposit as quick as possible . someone probably. Spoke to them on the phone and bought it sight unseen . I have a friend that sent full amount plus deposit had shipping at the seller door , seller backs out. Now that's some bad karma to seller. It wasn't meant to be.
rick 918-S
No honor. If you tell a guy the car will be available and you know he 2 1/2 hours away WTF.gif WTF.gif Take phone numbers and call the second guy in line if the first guy doesn't take it. I would have knocked on the door and asked for gas money just to embarrass the seller.
mepstein
When I used to play real estate agent, I saw buyers and sellers back out of deals, some the day of the settlement. Had one couple buying a house who broke up the day before settlement and I other seller die two days before. Fun times...
Unobtanium-inc
The problem with deposits is like a lot of things, a gentleman's agreement, which only works if the seller is a gentleman. I remember one time a guy had a 356 for $4000, I called and said I was leaving, I would take it at full price, he said no deposit, that he would see me in two hours. He then asks if I want all the new repro parts he paid about $5000 for, he said I could have them for an additional $4000. Normally Stoddard stuff I get about 50 cents on the dollar when I re-sell, so I didn't really want to pay close to retail for stuff. I said I would check out the other parts, but that I wasn't that interested, but I would buy the car, sight un-seen for his asking price.
I arrive two hours later, he says it's $10000 for everything, take it or leave it. His phone was ringing off the hook you see.
I get him to dial it back to the original $8000 and I take it all, it's BS but I sold the car that day for $12,000, so whatever. But if the guy is going to change his mind, no matter of deposits, handshakes, pinkee promises is going to change anything.
Luckily for me, it's just business, but I feel bad for guys who want the car for themselves and this happens.
The great irony with this guy was as I was loading up I see one of my stickers on his toolbox, I say "nice sticker". He says, "Yeah, those guys are cool, do you know them?"
Things have changed. ..even on this F/S forum.
A few years ago, I responded to an f/s item. I sent several pm and posting to that individual. Did I get a response. ...h -ll no. Some one else mentioned that person ( a member here) sold it on ebay. Did the seller have any courtesy to respond back , yes about two weeks later. I posted my experience and some members defend him....go figure. A few months later, person was looking for a part that I had...do you think I offered to sell it to him? ? I still remember that 914 member. Ethics. ..yaaa, some have it and some have no clue.
Spoke
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Dec 6 2015, 06:26 PM) *

As a seller, you take first cash.

agree.gif

Especially if it's a big ticket item like a car. Shoeing someone away with cash because someone else said they're interested in it and will buy it if they like it is a tough decision.

When I bought my 930, I had a buddy look at the car and afterwards I called the guy in Colorado to seal the deal. He said he was waiting for someone local who wanted to buy it but has to sell his Mercedes first. I told him I'll have cash in his hand next week. He sold it to me. beerchug.gif
tweet
if it is cash a seller wants it's simple. you tell anyone who respond to the ad, " first guy that shows up with my asking price gets the car". it takes care of low-ballers and tire kickers. it's completely fair and upfront. seller gets his money, his time is not wasted and buyers don't waste their time. this is not a hard thing to do, just the right thing all the way around.
Pursang
Lots of post-event advice and some good comments there. Some not so much. All I have to add is that I'd be grumpy too. One previous post mentioned "Gentleman's Agreement." It's sad that those things are not the norm these days from sellers or buyers. Best of luck in finding what you want. Karma will come back to bite that guy in the ass.
EdwardBlume
A fair deal should fetch a fair experience.

If its a good deal and you don't move on it fast you leave yourself open to getting screwed.

Its not fun, but don't expect people to be a cool as you are.... biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 7 2015, 06:23 PM) *

A fair deal should fetch a fair experience.

If its a good deal and you don't move on it fast you leave yourself open to getting screwed.

Its not fun, but don't expect people to be a cool as you are.... biggrin.gif

Good reply Rob to the op's post ,seems it drifted off to replys from flippers and spare parts and of course people that didn't communicate with the seller.
The real deal is the seller owns the car and there's no point in moaning if the deal went bad,he still owns the car and can sell to anyone he likes.....bottom line.
Sad really but I have been there and that's the way it is.
carr914
Sorry, you didn't get that car, but I would be glad that you didn't have to deal with that AssHat. She knew you were coming, had your number and didn't call. The car was probably a POS.

Good Luck in your search
JRust
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 6 2015, 06:48 PM) *

No honor. If you tell a guy the car will be available and you know he 2 1/2 hours away WTF.gif WTF.gif Take phone numbers and call the second guy in line if the first guy doesn't take it. I would have knocked on the door and asked for gas money just to embarrass the seller.

Been there done that way to many times. I agree with Rick. I would have stopped to ask for gas money. Obviously they can afford it since they just sold the car for more than they were asking evilgrin.gif
moorepower
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 7 2015, 05:10 AM) *

Sorry, you didn't get that car, but I would be glad that you didn't have to deal with that AssHat. She knew you were coming, had your number and didn't call. The car was probably a POS.

Good Luck in your search

Really. How did she know anyone was coming? Until you see the whites of their eyes, you have no idea they are going to show up. I recently sold several items in the $200-1000 range and around 60% of the people that called multiple times and said they were coming, did not show up and quit answering texts. If someone told me they could be out 4:30pm, I told them I would hold it till 5 and if anyone else called that day, I told them I would hold it until 5 then they were next in line. With the limited number of people looking to buy a 914, you are a fool not to take the cash from the first person that offers. We have all wanted things that have been sold right before we got there, but to say scammed, screwed ect. is a little much.
76-914
Had the same thing happen to me. Drove from Austin, Tx to Sherman (200 appx) only to find he sold it that morning, knowing I was on my way up. And a Babist Preacher at that. Probably screwing his congregation as well. But on a much brighter note; a salesman offered me tickets to a Dallas game. I just needed to stop by his mom's house to pick up the tickets on the way to the game. My girl and I got there only to find she had given them to someone else that morning. This was pre cell era and she was a bit addled. He found out and felt so badly he gave me seats to the next 3 games. Guess what? The next game we went to was the future Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett's first game. Things have a way of working out occasionally. smile.gif
sixnotfour
I had specifically asked her to call me if the car sold before I got there.

Her only foul...you will find another beerchug.gif
somd914
Yes, I've had my fair share of bad experiences, but I have to say, the good have far outnumbered the bad. The last two Porsche purchases were both out of state. The sellers bent over backwards to help make it an easy transaction and honored all aspects of the deal.

And the best was buying my Legacy GT a few years back from a private seller on a Sunday when there is no hope of title/registration work - two hours away across the line in Northern VA. We went, we looked, we contemplated, we placed a $500 deposit on a $12,500 car, and headed home with a signed title in hand! We headed back the next weekend with MD tags and the balance. The owner was a detective with the county police, and as he said, "you drove two hours up here, you brought the kids, you're driving a nice car, I trust you, but you know my department will come after you if you re-title the car and don't pay up..."
Carl456
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 7 2015, 02:12 PM) *

Yes, I've had my fair share of bad experiences, but I have to say, the good have far outnumbered the bad. The last two Porsche purchases were both out of state. The sellers bent over backwards to help make it an easy transaction and honored all aspects of the deal.

And the best was buying my Legacy GT a few years back from a private seller on a Sunday when there is no hope of title/registration work - two hours away across the line in Northern VA. We went, we looked, we contemplated, we placed a $500 deposit on a $12,500 car, and headed home with a signed title in hand! We headed back the next weekend with MD tags and the balance. The owner was a detective with the county police, and as he said, "you drove two hours up here, you brought the kids, you're driving a nice car, I trust you, but you know my department will come after you if you re-title the car and don't pay up..."

That's a good story.
Had the same thing happen to me. Drove from Austin, Tx to Sherman (200 appx) only to find he sold it that morning, knowing I was on my way up. And a Babist Preacher at that. Probably screwing his congregation as well. But on a much brighter note; a salesman offered me tickets to a Dallas game. I just needed to stop by his mom's house to pick up the tickets on the way to the game. My girl and I got there only to find she had given them to someone else that morning. This was pre cell era and she was a bit addled. He found out and felt so badly he gave me seats to the next 3 games. Guess what? The next game we went to was the future Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett's first game. Things have a way of working out occasionally. smile.gif

This one too.

I never felt I deserved the car, only a call would have been nice.

On to better and greener pastures.

somd914
QUOTE(Carl456 @ Dec 7 2015, 08:02 PM) *

I never felt I deserved the car, only a call would have been nice.

On to better and greener pastures.

If it's any consolation, for every car that got away from me for whatever reason, I typically found an equal or better deal later on. Hang in there, something good will come along...
BillC
Fortunately, not all sellers are like that.

I bought my 914 from a guy in Ohio. We talked on the phone, agreed to a price, and I offered to send him a non-refundable deposit to hold the car until I could get out there a week-and-a-half later. He turned down the deposit, saying my word that I would buy it was good enough. And he apparently had a dozen other folks call and offer to buy it before I could get out there, but he held the car for me and I drove it back home.
Red72
My experience with buying my 914 was completely opposite. Went and looked at the car, understood some of the issues from a very honest seller. Contacted him the next day and offered him a fair bit under his asking. He agreed, I etransferred him a deposit.

Go to pick it up, and discover that etransfer has a per day limit...which was less than the balance. He told me to take the car anyway, and transfer him the rest the next day...which I did. I'm sure he probably got a hard time from his wife about the risk in that decision though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.